Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend a route from Leeds please.
  • bongobiker
    Free Member

Hi all.
    I have a hospital appointment Thursday morning and thought I could make up the rest of the day with a nice ride in the sunshine. I have part of my route sorted back home to Sherburn, it is just the 1st half that I’m not sure about.
    So:-
    Does anybody on here know of any mostly off road routes from Leeds to Wetherby? Looking about 2 hours ish.
    Any help muchly appreciated.

Thank you Ian.

chimpley
    Free Member

Whereabouts in Leeds are you starting? The meanwood valley trail takes you from the sheepscar end of meanwood rd all the way up to golden acre park. If you leave it at king lane you can head over to eccup then into the harewood estate. If you head north through harewood and pick up A659/ otley rd theres definitely a path that follows the river towards linton but I’m not sure how far it will take you. But that should give you an idea anyway. The majority of that should be off road

dickie
    Free Member

This one;
    Eccup Reservoir into Harewood Estate.
    Head east leaving estate, cross A61 onto Wike Lane & after about 1/2 mile peel off left onto ridgeline bridleway to East Keswick.
    From East Keswick cross Harwood road onto BW & cross river wharfe to Wood Hall Hotel & Spa – into Linton then Wetherby.
    From Wetherby pick up old railway line nearly to Thorpe Arch & head into Walton.
    From Walton take Hall Park Road turning left then right onto (featherbed Lane)farm lane leading to BW to Bilton in Ainsty.
    Out the back Bilton, past pub onto BW, round Nova Scotia wood onto wighill lane.
    Head to Healuagh take right before village on BW (Manor Lane) into Tadcaster.
    From Tad on Stutton Road, Chantry Lane near to hazelwood castle, left towards Saxton, turning to Cooked Billet pub.
    Past pub up hill on BW to Sir Johns Lane & into Sherburn.

peterfile
    Free Member

Stainburn is in that general direction – black is definitely worth a blast if you can get a route north and then east to wetherby. Will be over two hours mind you.

bongobiker
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys. I’m setting off from Gledow valley rd/ Chaple Alerton so I’m perfectly positioned to get up to Eccup from there.
    Blimey Dikie no chance of getting lost with those directions.
    I’ve ridden Stainburn a few times Peterfile, fantastic place but maybe a little bit too far.
    Chimpley can I get through to meanwood from Chapel Alerton?
    Thanks again. Ian.

bspoked
    Free Member

Potternewton Lane from Chapel Allerton to Meanwood. Straight on past Waitrose on Green Road, round past the school and into Meanwood Park, pick up the MVT there. Or if you wanted a bit off off road… Take Stainbeck lane out of CA, cross over stainbeck road onto Parkside Road. Right at the roundabout up tongue lane. At the crest of the hill, opposite the school, take a bridleway on your left, follow it downhill (bearing left at the fork) all the way back to Parkside road. Turn right and go down the road to pick the MVT up in your direction (track on your right just before ring road that takes you round to the Cow tunnel).

willjones
    Free Member

Dickie – is the bridge across the Wharfe (after you cross the road at the top of East Keswick) open again now? that aside bongo biker, I’d second what Dickie suggests – it’s a great ride. If the bridge is shut, you could cross the Wharfe at Harewood, track along the bank, up to Netherby, left at top of Moor Lane, then right down Lund head lane, thru farm, right onto bridleway (rocky down hill bit) follow across fields until you join a track, turn right, cross Kirkby Ln onto Paddock House Ln and follow that round to Wood Hall, then pick up Dickie’s route. Nice afternoon out, do it lots from Gledhow Valley Road!

dickie
    Free Member

I didn’t know the bridge was shut – not been that way for 12 months plus.

bongobiker
    Free Member

Cool, cheers people.
    I’ll get on google maps/earth when I get home and plot the route.
    Thanks Ian.

bongobiker
    Free Member

Great, route plotted. 40 miles exactly. I’m not a fast rider so probably take 4-5 hours.
    Next question can anyone recommend a nice cafe stop around the Wetherby area?

Cheers Ian.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a route from Leeds please.’ is closed to new replies.