Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • rear brake issue on cove stiffee – help!
  • jameskmoore
    Free Member

Hi all, hoping someone may be able to help me with this one.

I've got an older cove stiffee, not sure of the year. I've fitted a set of hope minis to it (Caliper size 3). They fit fine on the fork (with 185mm rotor), but the rear mount seems not to be international standard.

To fit the rear caliper I had to use a hope +20mm adaptor (for a 165mm rotor), but even then it doesn't sit correctly, so only 3/4 of the pad touches the rotor when braking.

Does anyone know of an issue with earlier cove stiffee rear brake mounts / have any solutions? I would really appreciate any help!

Cheers,

James

fozzybear
    Free Member

should it not be a 160 rotor?

jameskmoore
    Free Member

hope minis (not the mono mini) only come in 145, 165, 185 and 205 rotors.

fozzybear
    Free Member

yes i understand that.
    but if the mount is designed for a 160 disc fitting a +20 (some IS to IS +20 i'm guessing) then you would be needing to run a 160 rotor no matter what sizes your brakes were designed to run.

give it a try if you have a 160mm disc..?
    cant do any harm

rs
    Free Member

that makes sense, you're using a +20 when you really need a +5, hence not getting full pad contact, find a different adapter or buy a 160mm rotor maybe.

fozzybear
    Free Member

sorry let me clear up my stupidity/rambling (also ask when you say 3/4 is touching is it to tall or to short?)

the rear end was maybe designed for a 160 disc and mount.
    so adding a normal +20 mount to the rear end would result in a 160 disc being needed obviously.

the mount you have in combination with the older hope brake and the set-up on the frame will mean your brake is at the wrong height (as clearly your finding) if the frame was never designed to take a 165 or 185 brake you could find the mount is +5 or -5 mm compared to older designs (i don't know if they removed 5mm off the mount or added it when they standardised the mountings)

also it won't be 5mm on the surface it will be 2.5mm (circumference/diameter)

jameskmoore
    Free Member

So the caliper sits about 5mm too high (but without the +20mm mount won't fit)

I'd assumed that the number 3 caliper would fit the 165mm disc without the mount, so the +20mm is just a bodge.

If I bought a random 170mm disc to fit it may not be wide enough at the edge to work.

Just wondered whether I was missing something, or whether the mount is just non-standard. Either way sounds like a slightly larger disc (or smaller without the mount) is the answer..

take your point about the 2.5mm extra (which doesn't make things any easier)!!

fozzybear
    Free Member

i'm not trying to have a go at you 🙂 trying to help.. i'm my lalala mind it makes sense but getting it over is hard (for me i'm not the most literate of people sorry)

basically your trying to fit an older standard to a newer standard mount on the frame.
    The mount is standard and if you had a 160/180 mini it would be ok as the +20mm adapter is nothing but that. an adapter.. it's the older standard mini calliper that's the issue here. you would need to find a none standard (i.e. custom) +15mm adapter (i'm guessing the size) to get it to work.
    hope that makes more sense than my other rubbish.
    foz

jameskmoore
    Free Member

I see what you mean.. and yes, I think a +15mm mount would do the trick nicely! touble is (after spending a while last night trawling the interweb) no one makes one!

front fork (Marz AM2)runs the same hope mini (3 caliper) 185 rotor with no mount and sits nicely. this suggests that the calipers are set for standard mounts and the 165/185 rotor which made me think that the cove mount is off..

Really appreciate the help!!

fozzybear
    Free Member

the cove mount is standard, if you speak to a person who machines stuff, he could make you a 15mm adapter easy.

you could do it yourself, all you need is a tap and some flat plate.
    use the old 20mm adapter as template, mark the holes, then draw a line between them, then remove 5mm and tap the new holes.
    thats a quick and nasty way of doing it.
    i'm sure a good machinist/engineer could knock it up for a few quid out some scrap they have lying around.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘rear brake issue on cove stiffee – help!’ is closed to new replies.