Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)
  • RANT: People who ride trails with dogs
  • wiznige
    Free Member

my dog is very well trained,has done most northern trail centres with me and is fast(and has the sense to move when a bike is coming)
    this could go on forever as said before have some riders got a issue with anyone slower or less skilled than they are?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Once came across a dog with owner going down Hully Gully. I had to brake because of the dog, and the owner didn’t look best pleased that I didn’t stop!

Wasn’t ‘devs’ was it? 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I often hang around my local trail centre with my shot gun. If I see a dog “worrying” the riders then I just shoot it.

bigrich

at least they create an unpredictable situation you have to respond to, rather than the prescribed procession of IMBA rider control features.

turtleheading
    Free Member

I wish I had a dog that would run all day with you on the trails.

devs
    Free Member

Wasn’t ‘devs’ was it?

You wouldn’t come across me on a trail. The chances of you catching me up are very very slim but any attempt to overtake without sounding your bell first would see you pwned with bombers on the way past. possibly in the style of the angry NZ trail centre video. We haven’t seen that for a while have we.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I take my dog riding with me a lot, quite often at Glentress and quite often at the weekend, he’s never got in the way of anyone else and he absolutely loves it. If I’m out with the kids and have to let faster riders past he’ll stand motionless at the side of trail until told otherwise.(lots of **** idiots out there who don’t have the brains to give a couple of kids a decent head start down a trail section)
    He’s been conditioned to accompanying bicycles since he was a pup, short rides along the river, to the shops etc. (He will also walk off the lead anywhere and never stray from my side, because he’s well trained.)

It’s not a case of all dogs are bad/all dogs are good it depends on the dog and owner. If you can’t control your dog don’t take it with you to a trail centre, but to say trail centres should be a dog free zone is just daft.

nick1962
    Free Member

Take my mut to trail centres now and again.No one’s said anything negative to me yet…well there was one time

devs
    Free Member

Orange Crush – Member

I did not say it was illegal to have a dog “on a trail centre”, please read what I said more carefully.

Orange Crush – Member
    Groundskeeperwilly – Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003. Para 9(d). In fact I would go further and say that para 6(1)(e)(ii) makes it illegal to have a dog on a specific mountain bike trail at all.

If your point is that trails at mountain bike centres are different to mountain bike centres then well done. Fizzy cola haribo to you. It is not illegal to have a dog on a specific mountain bike trail. Nor is it illegal to have one running about out of control, it just removes your right to access. In my book this means the land owner can ask you to leave. Nothing else.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Reasoned debate results in agreement – is that a first on here?

Devs and I both seem to be of the opinion that the access legislation’s intent is that the situation does not arise.

The, somewhat lengthy, code is here http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A309336.pdf for those interested.

patriotpro
    Free Member

It is not illegal to have a dog on a specific mountain bike trail.

It is stupid tho’.

Wasn’t ‘devs’ was it?

You wouldn’t come across me on a trail. The chances of you catching me up are very very slim but any attempt to overtake without sounding your bell first would see you pwned with bombers on the way past. possibly in the style of the angry NZ trail centre video. We haven’t seen that for a while have we.

You come across as a dead-ringer for the tit in that video – buzzz, buzz, buzz.

devs
    Free Member

Very good patriot pro. Your minute step down into childish insults kind of negates any point you were trying to make, albeit pathetically. If you’d like to be quiet now whilst the adults talk, I’d quite like to hear what they have to say.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I have nothing against dogs, but for the vast majority of people they ore nothing more than a luxury ‘vanity’ item, a lifestyle choice. My problem is only with people who seem to think their dogs are more important than other people. I sometimes experience the odd idiot dog owner along the canal towpath, who let their poorly trained dogs wander about when there are cyclists and children about, but most are ok.

I accept that if i’m to enjoy my lifestyle choice of riding a bike, I must be considerate to other towpath users, and give way to others etc. I expect the same behaviour from others, including dog owners. As for trail centres etc; perhaps some dog owners need to rein their egos in a biot and just leave the dogs at home. It doesn’t matter how well trained you think your dog is, you are deluded if you think that, as it’s ultimately a wild animal and therefore unpredictable. You don’t have the ‘right’ to take your dog wherever you please, but people have the right to go about without fear of being attacked or otherwise hindered by dogs.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I have nothing against dogs, but for the vast majority of people they ore nothing more than a luxury ‘vanity’ item, a lifestyle choice. My problem is only with people who seem to think their dogs are more important than other people. I sometimes experience the odd idiot dog owner along the canal towpath, who let their poorly trained dogs wander about when there are cyclists and children about, but most are ok.

I accept that if i’m to enjoy my lifestyle choice of riding a bike, I must be considerate to other towpath users, and give way to others etc. I expect the same behaviour from others, including dog owners. As for trail centres etc; perhaps some dog owners need to rein their egos in a biot and just leave the dogs at home. It doesn’t matter how well trained you think your dog is, you are deluded if you think that, as it’s ultimately a wild animal and therefore unpredictable. You don’t have the ‘right’ to take your dog wherever you please, but people have the right to go about without fear of being attacked or otherwise hindered by dogs.

Exactly. Some people just think because it says on paper that they can, then absolutely should. The ability to make careful and considered decisions based on their own circumstances and use considered judgement seem utterly beyond the realms of so many people.

Not so long ago I was taking my dog ( west highland terrier) and young nephew for a walk in one of these combined cycle/walk/go ape type forest places. It was very busy being a sunny Saturday afternoon and I came across an area that was marked ‘Dog walk area’. I wasn’t entirely sure what this meant at first but then a sign further along said that dogs could be walked without leads if under control as cyclists were not allowed in this particular spot. Now I opted not to take my dog off the lead because a) he was 10 months old b) he’s a disobedient little sh!t c) I’d never see him again d) I never would take him off the lead anywhere.

So, as I continued to walk this Labrador came hurtling towards us smacked straight into my Westie, flipped him upside down and then carried on bolting down the path. Needless to say after checking my terrified dog was ok the oblivious owners of the Labrador walked by and I asked why their dog wasn’t on a lead as he was clearly out of control. Their response was “because this is a dog walk, you’re allowed to take them off the lead!” When I questioned their logic and pointed out that because it says you can do something, doesn’t mean you should they looked utterly bewildered and could not grasp that simple concept. The very notion that they may have to make their own choices beyond that of a sign terrified them and I fear that from reading this thread that same mentality exists amongst so many on here.

devs
    Free Member

Interesting to hear that people riding thousands of pounds worth of bike for fun, in their own time, consider dogs to be a luxury lifestyle choice.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Interesting to hear that people riding thousands of pounds worth of bike for fun, in their own time, consider dogs to be a luxury lifestyle choice.

People? Person I think you mean. One person made that point.

devs
    Free Member

Well if we’re to descend into ultra pedantry may I point out that after said person made their “point” your very next statement was a very agreeable “Exactly.” This suggests that you agree quite strongly wouldn’t you er………agree?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s really ultra pedantry. You may use that terminology to defend your own nonsensical response to one comment from one person if you wish.

If you read my own response you will see quite clearly which point I was agreeing with, you will also see quite a few times where I mention my own dog so far be it from me to suggest that a dog is merely a luxury lifestyle choice.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

If that’s aimed at me, then I’d also consider cycling to be pretty much a ‘luxury lifestyle choice’, other than commuting. I can’t see how owniong a dog, for the vast majority of people, is in any way ‘essential’. The only people who ‘need’ dogs are people like farmers, security guards/police, and blind people. Everything else is simply because people want to own dogs. IE, a lifestyle choice’. Given that dogs can be quite expensive to own, I’d go far as saying it’s a ‘luxury lifestyle choice’.

and my bikes don’t cost ‘thousands of pounds’. And my commuter is hardly a ‘luxury’ item!

Woody
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences other than to say that I never consider my dogs to be a ‘lifestyle choice’. I’ve always had dogs and while there are some who look upon dogs as little more than a fashion accessory, which I would assume is where the reference comes from, for most owners they are a a great deal more.

PS. wouldn’t dream of taking mine to a trail centre – why would I when there are countless places far more appropriate and enjoyable for them and me.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences other than to say that I never consider my dogs to be a ‘lifestyle choice’.

So why do you have dogs then? Are they working dogs? For security purposes? To help you with a disability?

Or do you just own them because you ‘can’?

If the latter, they are simply a lifestyle choice, nothing more, no matter what your subjective view is. I’m not judging you or suggesting that your choice to own a dog is ‘wrong’, just pointing out the reality of the situation.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I don’t know why the reasons for dog ownership are particularly relevant to this particular discussion. Working dog, blind dog or handbag dog – they shouldn’t be on mountain bike trails at a mountain bike trail centre.

(although a handbag dog will probably be less of a problem – their little bones would almost certainly crumble under the weight of a bike and rider)

patriotpro
    Free Member

devs – Member
    Very good patriot pro.

Thanks but I don’t accept compliments from people who wear bee-suits whilst walking their muts down dedicated biking trails and think it is clever, (it is not btw).

If you’d like to be quiet now whilst the adults talk, I’d quite like to hear what they have to say. [/quote]

That angry buzzing noise again…

Solo
    Free Member

stoofus piled upon the little dog’s collar the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole trail centre brethen, from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a hot brake disc, he burst his tubeless tyres in a crash trying to avoid the little dog.

😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

devs – Member

So now you’re comparing dogs to bikes…you must be trolling.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

So now you’re comparing dogs to bikes…you must be trolling.

Which explains why he takes his dog with him to trail centres. Bikes, dogs, boats, horses. All essentially the same thing.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the same logic prevent my dog going to the pub. That’s a purpose built facility after all…

Based on that I reject your logic and will replace with common sense…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member
    Wouldn’t the same logic prevent my dog going to the pub. That’s a purpose built facility after all…

Based on that I reject your logic and will replace with common dog owner non-sense…

FIFY

unklehomered
    Free Member

FIFY

think you mean

Based on that I reject your logic and will replace with common dog owner non-sense decisions based around things I don’t understand so must be wrong…

Replace ‘dog’ with ‘mountain biker’, and ‘trails’ with ‘footpath’. And all the arguements on this thread sounds really familiar…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Based on that I reject your logic and will replace with common sense…

Just when I thought devs took the crown, we get this – a direct comparison of pubs and trail centres…

chugg08

Stoofus, I’d generally agree with you with the exception of family trails where people should not be barrelling along at a speed where they could not stop if a kid ran out in front.

Had a little Napoleon blast past me yesterday on the G’tress Green trail towing a kid. We had 3 adults, 5 kids and 2 dogs – there was no way he could have stopped if any of them had fallen or run in front of him. He had the cheek to shout agressively (first at my wife before I stepped in) about a dog further back on the trail that had almost run in front of him bfore complaining that my dogs should be under control. When I pointed out that they are (they were sitting where I’d asked them to stay), he stated the usual response from an non-dog owner “they should be on a lead”…FFS

IMO the trails are there for the enjoyment of all of us, just because we ride them does not mean we own them or have the right to police them.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Just when I thought devs took the crown, we get this – a direct comparison of pubs and trail centres…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Posted 10 minutes ago # Report-Postunklehomered – Member

unkleh – is that you coming to your senses and realising that walking dogs on bike-trails is barking-mad…(punnage)

Knew we’d get there in the end. 😆

unklehomered
    Free Member

No, just realising that we’re argueing different points, and all said I’m not really bothered. I have not seen one comment from someone who takes their dog on trails which makes me think they shouldn’t. A few who people who go on the trails with out a dog that makes me glad they don’t ride trails near me.

But I won’t change your mind, you won’t change mine. One day I may try and train a dog to run with the bike, and if I’m satisifed he sufficiently trained, and some test rides go well, I will take him riding places with me. Not all the time because you do have to split your attention between trail and dog, but dogs are pack animals, and if you don’t intend to include it in your life you shouldn’t have one.

In the meantime my hound goes trailbuilding with me. No rider passing an area we’re working on has ever complained, most of them stop to make a fuss of him. He tends to be the best behaved dog there (yes, several dogs on the trail, and not even moving, often just lying down – and the sky hasn’t fallen in. Madness.)

yodagoat
    Free Member

I took my parent’s dog down whistler, no problems.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UU1PAAQC1ArFFnRdkeDnDBzA&v=fZDjXNIScMo

He’s pretty fast though mind.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I apparently can’t view the above video in my country,but I guess it doesn’t feature a dog being mangled beneath the wheels of a bike ?
    Its all good when its a clean run but how would you feel if your dog was seriously injured after being innocently led onto these busy trails ? not to mention the other rider? could you blame anyone but yourself ? Is it fair to put either party under such risks?
    I love dogs and love to see them running free like this ,sometimes I take my brothers staffy out and due to her nature she should be on lead at all times in public places.
    Sure I could say eff it and let her off but I choose to respect others rights I could never comprehend letting her run the trails for her sake and yours.
    I’d fully understand and expect anyone to be pissed with me after an accident a dog under my control caused I’d expect a smack in the gob and and with the shoe on the other foot would also hand one out ! This risks are there up to you to take them or not.

nick1962
    Free Member

Are Forestry commission fire roads, trail centres and the cycle trails therein covered by the Highway Code?
    If yes then shouldn’t dogs be on short leads?

“it is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways.”
    and

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Everyone with strong opinions against dogs at trail centres either never actually ride or are completely spineless in real life. I’ve taken my dog to Afan several times and people only ever fuss over him and tell me what a nice dog he is. No one has ever suggested that he shouldn’t be there, even when he begs them for some flapjack/crisps/marsbar.

patriotpro
    Free Member

spectabilis speaks sense.

patriotpro
    Free Member

hexhamstu – Member
    Everyone with strong opinions against dogs at trail centres either never actually ride or are completely spineless in real life.

When you have stopped hallucinating, have a read of the full thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘RANT: People who ride trails with dogs’ is closed to new replies.