Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • race face gone under?
  • backhander
    Free Member

Every RF product I’ve had has been great (including cranks). Never had any of the clothing though. The canadians seem to like it enough.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well my ‘RaceFace’ ‘bottom bracket’ has lasted me well into 18 months and still going strong. 😉 tho i see they have changed to this now …’Shimano SM51 Hollow Tech 2 bottom bracket- on the ‘orange bikes’ now….
    i liked the designer cranks tho alittle expensive…
    yeah so gud luck to people who worked for RaceFace with the job situation… 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Shame – I did like most of their stuff (BBs and Chainrings of cheese excepted obviously).

As others have said, I’m sure the name won’t die – ripe for a buy-out?

DezB
    Free Member

I think it’s sad news. ( coincidentally, wearing a RF t-shirt at the mo). Despite having to saw off a pair of Deus cranks, have found most of their stuff to be good. Have their stems on two bikes.
    Originally were the component arm of Rocky Mountain. —
    Always a shame to see a small company go under particularly in the bike industry.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty happy with their cranks, bars, seatposts and stems but don’t think much of their other stuff.

I’d love some of their purple cranks though. Seriously…

I’ll bet CRC buy them up…

noteeth
    Free Member

Ah, shame. Perhaps they’ll get re-invented a la Syncros.

Always done alright by their bars, stems, seatposts etc.

Always avoided their jackets and BBs, mind.

mboy
    Free Member

Raceface are an odd bunch. Never has one company in the bike industry turned out some real cutting edge, rider designed components, whilst also selling overweight, under functional tat at ridiculously inflated prices to people who buy stuff cos of the logo!

But in many respects a company that pushes the boundaries and asks the riders what they want… Seem to remember (though my judgement may be clouded) raceface being about the first to make handlebars of 710mm or wider about 10 years ago, they also seemed to be the first on the scene with 1.5″ stems, and if I’m not mistaken, 31.8mm bars too? So for that reason I’ll miss them…

But, I’ve owned several raceface components over the years, and most of them have been pretty poor! I love their handlebars, as they are always the right shape for me personally, their stems are ok too (though overpriced), but their BB’s and cranks? Ok, the Turbines were good when square taper was the only option, but ever since we’ve had splined BB’s, shimano have always done it better and cheaper! And more reliably… Have had a couple of Raceface BB’s in the past, they were shockingly bad!

As others have said though, won’t be urprised if the name gets bought by a big bike company soon. My money is on Giant buying them, every Giant above about 800quid already comes smothered in raceface stuff now, by buying the name they can keep that and make more money on it in the long run…

Nezbo
    Free Member

Gutted, i like RF stuff I was going to get a new chainset (obviously with a different BB) but I may need to look at something else, it’s a lot better than FSA chainsets (bent 1 on the road bike and the MTB one keeps coming lose and the BB are worse than RF BB) so may look at truvativ (sram) or shimano instead…

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Like my bars, stem and seat posts. Shame.

DT78
    Free Member

Gutted always really liked their hardware. Can’t say I ever tried any clothing.

I slightly surprised about all the BB’s hating, had a Deus on my singlespeed which was used solidly through last winter and it was still in good nick when I removed it a couple of weeks ago. I must be one of the lucky ones!

Stoner
    Free Member

the company produced bomb-proof kit. There no details yet of how or if the company can continue in another form or whether IP assets will be sold on.

interesting comment.

There’s no that many companies jump before theyre pushed.

Closing the doors without being declared bankrupt implies a workout, surely.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve never had issues with Raceface cranks, have them on 3 out of 3 MTB’s they look so good and are real nice too, granted BB’s aren’t brill but heyho.

Bars, stems & posts are great too

gee
    Free Member

Had one set of Deus XC cranks, the drive side one was loose on the axle no matter how tightly you did the bolt up. Apparently this was “wear and tear”. What a joke. Never bought a RF product since.

GB

mikey74
    Free Member

Never had any problems with my RF Diabolous bottom bracket in two years. I only replaced it because I got some new Shimano cranks and thought I may as well put the new bottom bracket on.

Still got it actually, and might use it again if the occasion presents itself.

It’s a shame to be honest, but I have to admit that none of their current products particularly tempt me to part with my money.

cookeaa

My guess would be they didn’t have a big enough share of the OEM market to be viable, more bikes seem to come with Truvativ finishing kit and shimano cranks than RF bits…

Just a theory but Rising COGs and reducing sales are never going to help any business….

pastcaring
    Free Member

never liked their stuff, so no loss to me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The DH shorts are nice and strong. Might look for another pair while they are still around.

brakes
    Free Member

wasn’t a fan of the brand, but sad to see a big brand go under

andyl
    Free Member

Shame.

Their new Turbine stem looked set to take on Thomson too:

RagTi
    Free Member

Good ridance!, I used to rightfully so!.. drool over their components, but a lot of their range has gone to the dogs recently.

I broke the dust guard on my BB putting it in, then got told to change it as they apparantly built from philadelphia soft cheese. My jacket fell appart after about 10 rides, and then there is the issue of my squeaking cheep looking crank set that needs constant tightening.

This is surely great timing for Hope to get their new cranksets on the market ASAP, price em right ant they will clean up!

Kev

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Raceface BB’s – well, yeah, a bit dodgy to say the least.

The Atlas bars, both AM and FR versions, are just lovely though. Glad I’ve got three of them sat here now.

juiced
    Free Member

i’ve got a RF signature BB and it’s brilliant. Not so sure who’s gonna change the bearings now though.

lipseal
    Free Member

Are we all chipping in to buy it then? 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

lipseal – Member
    Are we all chipping in to buy it then?

No.

On one have probably beaten us too it.. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Deus cranks, stem and bars on my bike at the moment, and an atlas jacket, can’t complain about any of it, apart from the cranks which took some fiddling to get right, and still seem to eat BB’s faster than shimano cranks (even with the same BB’s).

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

details here: http://nsmb.com/4228-race-face-shuts-its-doors/

Teetosugars – Member

lipseal – Member
    Are we all chipping in to buy it then?
    No.

On one have probably beaten us too it.. [/quote]

I reckon the singletrack masses could beat on one 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

I like raceface and it’s shitty that they’ve gone under, nowadays it’s more about marketing than product quality. Raceface have done a lot over the years to promote and develop the MTB culture, they’re a part of MTB history.

I’m going to go and see if I can get some polished diabolus bars and stem, to go with my cranks.

😀

DT78
    Free Member

Was just browsing CRC to see what raceface bits out there might suddenly become nice and cheap.

£550 down to a bargain £500 for a carbon crank?! That’s bloody stupid, they really can’t have sold very many of those no matter how good they are.

Oxboy
    Free Member

My Deus BB is still going strong after 2+ years is this some kind of record? Have worn the 2 outer rings out though, replaced them with Middleburn ones!
    The kit always looks great but after seeing my mate nearly having his gonads removed after his seat post failed from under him I have avoided buying any raceface products.

Trimix
    Free Member

I had one of their cheese BB, lasted one weekend in Wales – sent it back to Wiggle who swopped it for a Shimano one that lasted years.

Apart from a catchy name, any company is only as good as its customer service and its reliabe / quaility components.

No loss as far as I can see.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

They do seem to of faded in recent years compared to around 5-6 years ago when they were very prominent, must of been struggling for a while I had a Raceface lightweight backpack which took a lot of abuse.

Nezbo
    Free Member

A STW CoOp today RF tomorrow the world 🙂

i’ll chip in 😀

crankbreaker

DezB – I had to saw off a set of Evolve cranks after ballings up the x-type top cap, they put up a hell of a fight. Still keep the remains of the crank to remind me of my idiocy!
    Shame about RF though, I’ve been running the x-type for over 2 years and never had any problems. Switched from ISIS which I had problems with whoever’s BB i got. RF chainsets have always stood up well for me, does the Shimano Octalink fit x-type cranks then?

crankbreaker

Sorry, not octalink, 105 I meant!?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

from another forum

They have not been bought out by Giant, Shimano or anyone else.

From the horse’s mouth – the reason they went under wasn’t poor sales or typical mismanagement, it was because one of the owners took out a multi-million-dollar loan based on fraudulent inventory valuations, all the while paying himself a minimum of $30k/month, until the bank found out what was going on and froze their lines of credit, effectively making the business inoperable.

which if true, is a really sad way to end

ianpinder
    Free Member

Just About to buy some six c carbon cranks. Might stick to xtr now…

GW
    Free Member

that makes **** all sense..

ianpinder
    Free Member

Not really, whilst I’m sure they are strong enough, I’m not going to spend £500 on some carbon cranks with a limited warrantee. At least I know xtr are strong enough.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘race face gone under?’ is closed to new replies.