Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Question for Kindle users – does it need a cover/case?
  • t_i_m
    Free Member

Got the small Kindle for xmas. Looking forward to using it on my commute.
    Not sure how tough the screen is, so does it need a case or screen protector?
    Thanks

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Don’t think it necessarily needs it, but the cover the missus has for hers makes it feel more book-like.

She loves it.

GregMay
    Free Member

Never used one with mine, when I broke it, Amazon replaced it for free!

Breakage was due to coming off bike and landing on bag, laptop got a wee crack in it the same day.

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve got a screen projector so I dont have to be overly careful with it because I cant cope with ANY scratches on screens.

Also, dirt cheap cases on 7dayshop

simon_g

I’ve always used one, mainly to prevent anything sharp scratching up the screen. The e-ink display is very robust though – no glass to break.

I used a very cheap neoprene sleeve for about a year (available from lots of far-eastern ebay sellers), then picked up an official case in the amazon sale – they’re expensive but very nice to use.

t_i_m
    Free Member

thanks all

PJay
    Free Member

I don’t think that you need one but my partner likes the book feel that a folio type cover gives (rather than a pouch type) and an extra bit of protection has to be good. Some of them are silly expensive (I’ve even seen one at £50!!) but she got a really nice leather one from Tesco for about £15.

Cougar

“Need,” no. I’m not sure as I’d want it rolling round in a bag without one though.

I got a little Belkin neoprene slip case for mine as part of the present, I doubt it was hugely expensive but it’s absolutely perfect for me.

EDIT – this.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I went with one of the Amazon covers but it was more for the built in light than anything else.

atlaz
    Free Member

Mine lives in my pockets most of the time and is fine. I just remember not to put it in the same pocket as keys etc like I do with my phone. No scratches in nearly a year.

mmannerr

I just got one yesterday, not much experience with it yet but my hope is that it improves the grip. My cover is the model with “finger strap” on the back.

Blackhound

Got a skin from poundland but then Mrs B made me a cover for Christmas:-)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to carry my Kindle around without a case/cover! You know what women’s handbags are like 😉 I got a lovely furry Timbuk2 pouch for my Kindle!

fubar
    Free Member

A Jiffy bag makes a great Kindle case !

dr_death
    Free Member

I got one of the dodocase cases as it makes it more book-like. I’m fairly certain it’s only for the pose value though….. Not convinced it would ‘need’ anything more than a screen protector as they seem pretty robust. If you want something to make it look pretty then there are loads of options with http://www.etsy.com being a good place to start… (search for kindle cover)

Joe

You do need a case. By no means are the screens very robust…i’ve gone through two already and my friend I live with another two (we have had kindles from the day 0 though…we both live in the middle east and they are a godsend).

beej

I use a neoprene slip case too – from Built. I’m more confident having it rattling in a bag with a cover on. I found the official Amazon case pretty heavy so changed over to the neoprene one.

samuri
    Free Member

Leather case here with a lid that opens. No idea if I really need one or not but I always feel happier protecting electronic device screens with something.

I always fit one of those stick on screens to my iPhone too.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for the official Amazon case – have one for a touch version in tan brown and it fits very well and doesn’t add too much bulk. The kindle clips in properly unlike some cases which have elastic straps so it is more secure and smaller.

warton
    Free Member

mine stays on the bedside table pretty much all the time. If I take it away I put it in a football sock…

Duffer
    Free Member

I use the official one, here.

Expensive, but highly recommended. Holds the Kindle securely, without the need for straps etc. And it’s very high quality.

andyl
    Free Member

£30 is a bit silly for a case. They were £22 last month which is a bit more reasonable.

Cougar

Hormel’s finest reported.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Official one for the built-in light. Essential for me as the Mrs is always asleep long before me!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Personally I’d definitely want a case, mine comes with me everywhere and takes a fair bit of abuse. I also find the kindle on its own to be slightly too thin to hold comfortably.

Another essential, an Aquapac drybag for reading in the bath without risking it…

fubar
    Free Member

EDIT…made the same comment when this thread was written i.e 10 months ago !

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Question for Kindle users – does it need a cover/case?’ is closed to new replies.