Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Putting sealant in an inner tube- my verdict
  • shermer75
    Free Member

It doesn’t seem to work, unless it’s been sealing up loads of punctures I don’t know about!

There’s been two punctures, the first one was a proper slashed tyre so that’s fair enough but the second was only marginally bigger than a pin prick (to be fair tho it did slow it down a lot, which was super useful at the time.)

oldnpastit

Why bother?

Regular tubeless is so easy these days and you don’t end up with a slippery slimy tube full of gloop to deal with when it inevitably pinch flats.

Del

i’d just buy a tube with sealant already loaded, if you’re determined to go that way. a regular tube will have chalk/talc/whateveritis inside to stop it sticking together, and i doubt that will play nicely with sealant.

shermer75
    Free Member

Why bother?

Regular tubeless is so easy these days and you don’t end up with a slippery slimy tube full of gloop to deal with when it inevitably pinch flats.

I have a rim that can’t be converted to tubeless (Sun Ringle Inferno 23) because the rim profile has no ‘shoulder’ for the bead to sit on, so the air burps out as soon as there is any pressure put on the tyre.

shermer75
    Free Member

i’d just buy a tube with sealant already loaded, if you’re determined to go that way. a regular tube will have chalk/talc/whateveritis inside to stop it sticking together, and i doubt that will play nicely with sealant.

Fait point but an inner tube and some sealant is what I had and I wanted to know if it worked.

Daffy

Of course it doesn’t work. The flexibility of innertube material means that any puncture allows for rapid distortion of the tube and thus rapid venting of the air. The flexibility means the sealant has little chance of sealing until the pressure drops to minimal levels, by which point there’s not enough air to move the sealant to the hole. This is often why sidewall cuts and tears are a bugger to seal with sealant whilst holes through the tread pattern are barely even noticed.

fasthaggis

Well on balance,I have had nothing but success over the last 3 winters of using Stans in tubes (CX Bike).So that’s about 6000 (mixed surface) commuting miles of not having to fix a flat,at the side of the road,in the dark and cold.There was plenty evidence of the saves when I binned the tyres which were covered in nicks and holes.
    I have actually gone full tubeless(with extra glitter)this week,but that’s only because I want to drop the pressures right down for some Gnarr gravel action. 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Well on balance,I have had nothing but success over the last 3 winters of using Stans in tubes (CX Bike).

It did seem to be making a difference, the tyre was going down v slowly (I managed to get another 20 minutes riding out of it) considering the size of the hole, which was big enough to be quite visible. It just wouldn’t stay up! It may have settled and stopped deflating at 20 psi or something, but that’s a bit low for a touring bike..

Del

I have a rim that can’t be converted to tubeless (Sun Ringle Inferno 23) because the rim profile has no ‘shoulder’ for the bead to sit on, so the air burps out as soon as there is any pressure put on the tyre.

fair enough. thought about giving ghetto a go?
    it’s how i have gone tubeless on both mavic and sun rims. the tube sticks to the bead. i think through carelessness i’ve been down to about 10-15psi…

shermer75
    Free Member

fair enough. thought about giving ghetto a go?

Yes! 🙂 I’ve bought some Gorilla tape to do exactly that. I was planning to use thin strips to build up either side of the rim bed into the missing shoulders, then a layer of tape over the top. I figured that if I just layer up without the shoulders then there won’t be much of dip in the middle, which would make getting tyres on and off v difficult. It’s a lot of faff tho, so I keep putting it off….

johnnystorm

I’ve got Inferno Rims that i ran tubeless with roval tape and wirebead racekings. Give the rim a couple more wraps and aee how you get on. Failing that try some slime, the stuff to go directly in tubes is a lot more viscous.

Del

Sorry chap, I meant the split inner tube method – should have elaborated.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve got Inferno Rims that i ran tubeless with roval tape and wirebead racekings. Give the rim a couple more wraps and aee how you get on. Failing that try some slime, the stuff to go directly in tubes is a lot more viscous.

Will do- I would love to run them tubeless!!

jonba
    Free Member

Didn’t want to read that it didn’t work. I find my SS gets ridden so infrequently these days that I often come to it and find the tyres flat and the sealant dried out. Worse is when it catches me out mid ride and the tyre doesn’t seal. Right faff trying to get a tube in as the tyres are hard to get off with the tubeless strips.

Was thinking of going back to tubes. Riding I use it for is easy so no risk of pinch flats. Biggest thing is thorns which I was hoping a bit of sealant in a tube might stop. Or at least get me round a ride so I don’t have to faff around in the dark changing a tube.

shermer75
    Free Member

Didn’t want to read that it didn’t work.

Yeah it’s annoying. As above you could always try one of those Slime tubes, which is an inner tube with a layer of sealant on the outside, but all the reports that I’ve heard have said that it makes the ride really lifeless and dull because of the extra weight and thickness

shermer75
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have actually gone full tubeless(with extra glitter)this week,but that’s only because I want to drop the pressures right down for some Gnarr gravel action.

Does glitter actually work?

Latex seals holes because the shear forces (i.e. the fluid gets accelerated through the hole ‘ripping’ past stationary fluid cause the latex to form strings and come out of solution thus sealing the hole. If you put other stuff in there to block the hole the latex won’t percipitate out of the solution in the same stringy structure and do its job.

Or putting it another way, glitter might seal the hole for as long as it stays put, but latex actually heals the hole over like a scab.

hooli

It has worked for me in the past, in fact I used it for years before deciding to go tubeless. I still had the odd puncture for large hawthorn stuff but when I changed the tubes there were always 5 to 10 smaller punctures that had sealed.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve got Inferno Rims that i ran tubeless with roval tape and wirebead racekings. Give the rim a couple more wraps and aee how you get on.

You may be pleased to know that I took your advice today- gave it two more wraps of gorilla tape, took it for a spin around the block and they are so far holding up! Very happy 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Putting sealant in an inner tube- my verdict’ is closed to new replies.