Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • puncture by valve stem coming out of the innner tube
  • ampthill

I’ve not had puctures for ages but I pulled the valve stem out of the front tyre today, again. Third time in the last 5 weeks. I’ve seen this before (years ago different bikes) but never had a run like this.

The valve is at no longer at right angles to the rim each time. All 3 times it was the front. Once the tyre went down in the shed.

Is it too little front tyre pressure? The wheels are cheap bontrager tubeless ready with hard blue plastic rim strip. This didn’t quite line up with the valve hole. I’ve just moved it back. No idea if it was like this before

Thanks for any thought

PS I’m heavy but really don’t ride very hard or fast….

nicko74

What’s the tyre you have on the front?

I went through a phase of exactly this – disc brake and Fire XC Pro on a front wheel. Basically, the bead on the tyre is sufficiently loose that it slips under braking – the tyre doesn’t slow as fast as the wheel, essentially. If the inner tube goes with it, bingo, torn inner tube.

I tried various solutions: reinforcing the inner tube round the valve with squares of other inner tube (not the same inner tube, that’d be a bit pointless) didn’t work massively. Not using the valve locking nut helped a little; talcing the inside of the tyre did work better.

But after a while I gave up – the cost in inner tubes was mounting up, so I just bought new tyres (Bontrager), and didn’t have the problem again.

Rivett
    Free Member

If they are old tyres the bead can stretch. Try a different tyre.

pastcaring
    Free Member

talc in the tyres!

ampthill

They are Maxxis High Rollers 2.35 kevlar bead

I’ll try talc

Esme
    Free Member

Google “tyre creep”
    It’s not funny when it happens four times in one ride!

epicyclo

Are you using talc?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I had something similar last year it turned out the bead on the Tyre was shot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘puncture by valve stem coming out of the innner tube’ is closed to new replies.