Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 351 total)
  • Public Sector Strike 30/11
  • Drac

Cheers Woody, I’m back in tomorrow so need to brush up ready as my staff will ask.

Drac

Post to fix the bug.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

neither had the union rep I spoke to yesterday

ffs, has your union rep been in contact with your full-time official/regional office ?

A phone call should have done it, I would have thought. Time for a new union rep maybe. Unfortunately it’s not always easy to find someone to take on the thankless task.

althepal

Drac, tbh I thought it would just have deteriorated into the usual “debate” about whether or not we need unions etc.. I was a bit pressed for time and thought id just look at the last few pages to see how it developed.. I don’t know what andyp and others had been saying earlier in the thread but I did read someone else using the term “bless” in a (what I took to be) patronising fashion.. I couldn’t see what the issue was with the particular post you highlighted although I only read pages 1, then 3 onwards.. I’m only asking because I’d like to maker sure I don’t tread on anyone’s toes in a similar fashion.
    Have spoken to my rep about it, he advised of the above, a phisio from a different hospital had told me yesterday that the nurses weren’t having to withhold their services.. My rep did state he hadn’t received any formal notice about the exact arrangements but that that was his understanding of our position. Apparently we’ll not be attending non emergency calls tho.. I know you and I are in the same line of work. What’s happening with yourselves then?
    (edit) I really should figure out how to quote properly on here one of these days!

amodicumofgnar

My heart goes out to that public sector worker who would’nt empty my bin this morning, because there was a tiny corner of a bin bag sticking out of the lid!

Was that a public sector worker or a private contractor working for local government?

Drac

What’s happening with yourselves then?

I have no idea, I’ll speak to my rep in the morning see if she knows anything as I’m supposed to be nights next week. I was around during the Ambulance dispute some 20 odd years ago it wasn’t a nice time.

Woody
    Free Member

Ernie
    I’ll correct myself – it was actually a Branch Officer I spoke to (none of the shop stewards have heard anything). Probably best that I refrain from saying what I’m thinking on a public forum.

To give you some idea, I’ve just checked the union website on the intranet and the last update was on August 16th.

Drac

There was some information Woody can’t remember where it was but it refereed to NEAS in particular and it was from both camps. I’ll see if I can locate it tomorrow as it was a print off.

Yes and be careful on public forums you’re never as anonymous as we’d like to think.

aracer
    Free Member

Bah. Letter from the school saying they’ll be shut. It’s going to be a complete nightmare having them both at home spoiling our nice quiet day when we normally only have one to look after between the two of us. They don’t think of things like that do they?

althepal

I’ve heard stories about the last time there was a major dispute up here.. Apparently the buckets didn’t need rattling very much and no one lost any wages as a result.. Hard to imagine that being the case..
    I’ve read some comments colleagues have put up on Facebook and amazed at some of the things they say.. Mental.
    Re my last post, Drac, do you not comment on moderating matters if asked? I am only asking. If this is the case I will stop asking!

Drac

I’ve heard stories about the last time there was a major dispute up here.. Apparently the buckets didn’t need rattling very much and no one lost any wages as a result..

There was some huge support from the public and some hate but our role back then was a very different role and we it was not as busy by a long means as it is now. I heard claims of the not losing money to but there was also those that struggled.

Drac, do you not comment on moderating matters if asked? I am only asking. If this is the case I will stop asking!

We don’t comment on the forums, we may answer via email but the comments I made to AndyP was not moderation. If people start insulting or rather as you pointed out being patronising when asked a reasonable question then they really need to stop posting in my opinion.

hh45
    Free Member

I must say I find it strange that its always dressed up as ‘pensions’. I always thought the reason the public sector got a pension was to compensate for a lousy wage but noone ever seems to mention that. IME loads of people are able to quite public sector after 10-20 years experience and double or triple income by going private at which point the reduced pension is less relevant. Planning officers, DPP, research establishments etc etc. A mate of mine quit the DTi after 20 years and went to a bank and tripled his wage overnight. The only well paid people in public service IMO are doctors and they have always had governments under their thumb going back to 1940s.

Drac

I must say I find it strange that its always dressed up as ‘pensions’. I always thought the reason the public sector got a pension was to compensate for a lousy wage but noone ever seems to mention that

Because it’s about the pensions not the wages.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The point that hh45 is making is that the pensions are part of the remuneration which public sector workers get in the compensation they receive in exchange for the service they perform for their employers. This fact, as he correctly points out, is rarely mentioned.

miketually
    Free Member

IME loads of people are able to quite public sector after 10-20 years experience and double or triple income by going private

That’s only a very small subset of public sector employees.

miketually
    Free Member

The point that hh45 is making is that the pensions are part of the remuneration which public sector workers get in the compensation they receive in exchange for the service they perform for their employers. This fact, as he correctly points out, is rarely mentioned.

It’s mentioned a lot here at work. Essentially, the way that teachers pensions work, they’re just deferred pay so what’s being proposed is a massive pay cut.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Yep, employer contributions = deferred pay.

Not only is the proposed reduction effectively a wage cut, it is compounded by the switch from RPI to CPI, increased individual contributions, and having to work longer. That is above and beyond the pay freeze at a time when inflation is at 5%.

Drac

It was a small compensation at one time yes but not a compensation as such just something to look at and so oh well least we have a good pension. That good pension is now under threat not the wages, they’ve been effected already, which is what were fighting for. I’m not on a bad wage these days but it took years to get there and only came about just to some Government reviews and those awful horrible trade unions fighting for the conditions.

althepal

Drac, fair Nuff. Ta for answering.. I don’t agree with what Andyp was saying regarding unions and what point he had, wasn’t put across very well.. Ie- just posting a link with a definition of what a union was.. I’m not in any way putting down the role you and others have on here.
    I personally didn’t find what he was saying that patronising or offensive, especially compared to some other posts made on this thread and others.. Having not seen any other posts from him after that I assumed there had been some “modding” going on but wasn’t sure which is why I was asking.
    Think we’re working strictly to rule (kinda) but if asked to strike I’m not sure I would be comfortable with that. Not in the job as long as you and as much as I don’t agree or think there’s any need for Nhs pension reforms I just couldn’t live with myself if something happened to someone due to my decision to strike. I wanted to do my job for a reason and not sure striking dovetails (just for elf) very well with that.
    Certainly sounds like there’s a lot of confusion out there around what’s actually happening on the 30th..

Drac

Had a small message about it from a rep and it seems it will probably be work to rule, specifics to follow. Least in this area.

v8ninety

A seemingly disproportionate number of Ambo workers on here it seems, obviously not productive enough at work and/or too many days off… Privatise the lot of them I say, flippin’ work shy glorified taxi drivers with first aid certificates! (couldn’t do your job, bet you see some sights, etc etc…)

😆 😉 😆

Drac

Hahaha! 😀

I finished nights this am back tomorrow at 7am for 4 day shifts.

v8ninety

Bad luck, I’m back in on weds for two days, two nights. 😐

Drac

Yeah I’m spare this week and last so shitty shifts and owe one so paying that back.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ll be working on the strike day.

Not because I don’t agree with the strike, but because I’m rostered to work that day, just like I’m down to work every 3 weekends out of 4. Just like I’m down to work at Christmas, and those bank holidays that other folk get off as a matter of course. Just like I work 5 weeks of nights out of every 14 weeks.

Just like I have done for the past 25 years. Twenty five years. That’s 25 years of experience, the experience that has, and will continue to save peoples lives.

I hate the ignorance that this country has bred into its people.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m rostered to work that day, just like I’m down to work every 3 weekends out of 4. Just like I’m down to work at Christmas, and those bank holidays that other folk get off as a matter of course. Just like I work 5 weeks of nights out of every 14 weeks.

Just like I have done for the past 25 years. Twenty five years. That’s 25 years of experience, the experience that has, and will continue to save peoples lives.

Drac

Just like I work 5 weeks of nights out of every 14 weeks.

Cracking rota, well except I prefer nights so working less than 50% is worse than I get now.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why is the little girl crying? Who has upset her?

v8ninety

Crikey, Blimey (!?) you say it like its a bad thing! Quite like my shifts actually, nothing better than finishing your last night shift on a Monday morning, heading home on what looks to be the beginning of a glorious day, knowing that after a lovely sleep in your comfy bed, whilst the ‘normals’ are slaving away, you’ve got the rest of the week off…

(Though there are downsides, I’ll give you that. 25%s worth, to be fair!)

EDIT; hiya Elf, missed you! (waves)

crikey
    Free Member

finishing your last night shift on a Monday morning, heading home on what looks to be the beginning of a glorious day, knowing that after a lovely sleep in your comfy bed, whilst the ‘normals’ are slaving away, you’ve got the rest of the week off…

Then starting on days on Tuesday morning, actually.

A pain if you’re 20 odd, tedious if you’re 30, when you’re 55? or 60?

Whatever, it’s you lot I’m looking after…

althepal

Aye, guess it seems that way on here at the mo! Loving the generic comments tho..
    On my 7 off at the mo, start back for 7 on Thursday night. I’m spare but seconded onto permanent nights till feb covering mat leave. Saving us a fortune in childcare at the mo and every second weekend off. It’s amazing being able to plan stuff after being on relief the last few years. Not looking forward to Feb tho!
    Mind you, I’ve got three quarters of Christmas day off this year for the first time and Hogmany too so not all bad. Will get to see my son opening his presents and (that’s an “AND” btw) have Christmas dinner with the family! Then go to work after that..

v8ninety

I suggest you get a better rota negotiated crikey…

Whatever, it’s you lot I’m looking after…

Not me, wouldn’t catch me in an Ambo as a patient. You never know where they’ve been! (actually I do, and therein lies the problem…)

v8ninety

I’m off on paternity for xmas and new year, now THAT’S serious planning ahead… 😉

crikey
    Free Member

wouldn’t catch me in an Ambo as a patient

I don’t wear green, it doesn’t suit my complexion, I’m an ITU nurse.

v8ninety

I don’t wear green, it doesn’t suit my complexion, I’m an ITU nurse.

Ah apologies, my bad. Hopefully won’t need your services anyway, don’t like needles n tubes and things that go bleep in the night…
    Anyway, sort your off duty requests out, you can still do better than that!

althepal

I do my best to keep mine clean, usually washed inside and out every shift at some point.. Means I need to
    come in a bit early sometimes but the dayshift don’t seem to mind!
    Blues, greens or White (even mauve!) we’re all working towards the same goal.

Good night all. Stay safe out there.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

hiya Elf, missed you! (waves)

Wha’ gwan me bredren; ya irie an ting?

Woody
    Free Member

I don’t work nights at the moment, although finishing at 11pm last night is almost a ‘night’. I’m not sure how ‘work to rule’ (regardless of its form) would have been effective on that job – maybe I could have left my patient and buggered off at 2140 to enable me to get back to station on time and and hoped a crew turned up before she deteriorated further.

I’m sure the family would have been very understanding 8)

AND for the first time in 5 years, I’m off at Christmas WOOP WOOP

v8ninety

Wha’ gwan me bredren; ya irie an ting?

Umm, ar day know if the mon on the bonk with a bostin ommer am on the box or if he has gone to Brumijum with his oss and babby along the cut.

Or something. 😆

Drac

I’m working Xmas for about the 16th time in 22 years. Ah well that’s the way it goes and what the boost in unsociable hours is for.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 351 total)

The topic ‘Public Sector Strike 30/11’ is closed to new replies.