Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Crank Bros Wheelset – what do you reckon?
  • santacoops
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a pair of Sage. Whats the experiences with these Crank Bros wheels? Should i just stick with the Mavic/Hope combo? Cheers.

RealMan
    Free Member
    santacoops
    Free Member

Ah thanks!

santacoops
    Free Member

Hope and Mavic Stans it is then..

Agreed!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Guy who was selling some on Pinkbike told me he was getting rid as they were the crappest wheels he’d ever had and had been back 3 times in 6 months for freewheel issues! Not a great salesman, but refreshingly honest!

Unsure if they newer ones are any better.

Look pimp though!

santacoops
    Free Member

What about the headsets? Any good?

SidewaysTim

I bet they come in a lovely box.

RealMan
    Free Member

What about the headsets? Any good?

The headsets rust up in 3-4 minutes, depending on conditions apparently.

Del

I bet they come in a lovely box.

+1
    also a solution looking for a problem.

nickf
    Free Member

Having tried several Crank Bros products, I can safely say I’d never touch anything of theirs again. The design’s great, but there’s just no longevity.

boxfish
    Free Member

Not even with a bargepole.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I’m going to disagree with the wheel comments & agree with the headset issue.

I have been running the Crank Bros Iodine wheelset for over a year now, including some pretty recent ‘heavy’ use for two weeks in the US (Downieville & Mammoth Mountain etc.) and I have had absolutely no issues with mine whatsoever. Freehub runs smooth, quick engagement and so far still true (despite some hard hits).

On the other hand, a mate had the headset fitted to his bike and with in 2 rides it had completely crumbled (and I mean crumbled!) – not a good life span!

Macgyver

Couple of blokes in our chalet in Morzine this year both had freewheel problems with their Crank Bros wheels. They weren’t impressed.

Mind you a swallow doesn’t make a summer so based on my limited experience of them who really knows if this is a typical problem?

njee20
    Free Member

Mind you a swallow doesn’t make a summer so based on my limited experience of them who really knows if this is a typical problem?

Woah woah woah with the logic there, I prefer wild extrapolation. We have one good case and 3 bad ones, ergo we can conclusively prove that 75% of them are rubbish. You may get lucky. 🙂

I’d not bother myself, but I’m not a fan of factory wheels. Apart from bling looks they achieve nothing at all IMO.

boxfish
    Free Member

My Iodine freehub and pawl carrier had to be replaced after 6 months of light use. The sealing on the hubs is pitiful. Yes, they are a strongly built wheel but the rear hub requires a lot of TLC to keep it running smoothly. Who knows how long the replacement pawl carrier will last…

For me, the phrase “form over function” sums up Crank Bros products.

njee20
    Free Member

Right, it’s now down to 20% being good. Any more?

clubber
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    I’d not bother myself, but I’m not a fan of factory wheels. Apart from bling looks they achieve nothing at all IMO.

+1 with the caveat that the really expensive ones can offer a performance advantage though it’s debateable if the cost is worth it. Unfortunately Crank Bros wheels don’t fit into that category.

heihei

Whilst mine didn’t “break” as such, I had the occaisional non-engagement issues. I sold them on before it became terminal!

loddrik
    Free Member

They look quite pretty though…

Stevo210
    Free Member

Ive always fancied a set and unlike others I think they look great. And i like the look of the Orange skip (5) too !!!

I emailed Crank Brothers and asked what changes/improvements had been made to the new wheels for 2011, this was the respons

“The improvements are quite dramatic. The new 2012 wheels have a 30%
    stronger rim, reinforced at both the valve hole and the weld seam. The hubs are 10 times stronger due to all new internal axles, bearings and freehub body, incorporating a wire spring and new oversized pawls. We tested the freehub against our previous version and it proved to be 10 times stronger in the pawl area (our biggest issue in the past) and is now triple sealed, making it virtually powerwash proof! The freehub spacing has also been changed to accommodate the new 10 speed drivetrains and is compatible with ALL cassettes sold today.”

Now if thats not enough to put anyone off the older version that are now been sold off cheap I dont know what is.

heihei

How can anyone go from V1 to V2 and produce something 10x stronger?? In engineering terms, it suggests your original design must have been pants (and ones made from papier mache at that)!!

Stevo210
    Free Member

Canyon are mouting a pair on their new 2012 Strive!!!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Wheelset – what do you reckon?’ is closed to new replies.