Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • pub non-drinking
  • onehundredthidiot

Avoiding alcohol, apart from the odd pint and glass of vino. But we have a long standing Thursday bloke pub chat evening. What to drink? Preferably not sweet fizzy stuff.

tomhoward

Babycham?
    Virgin mary?
    Orange juice?

Just not 0% beer, its more refreshing when poured over oneself.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

depends what your pub sells.
    if they sell erdinger alkoholfrei, then that.
    beck’s blue is harsh.
    cobra zero is disgusting.
    bavaria wit 0% isn’t bad.
    foster’s radler 0% is refreshing and passable.

or just lime and soda.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

just have a few odd pints and a glass of vino?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I tried pints of blackcurrant cordial, but I drank them that quickly it cost me more money & I was always in the loo!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

A very long ginger beer. If they do real line slices, bash some of them in.

iolo
    Free Member

Lime and Soda is by poison.
    Pills stopped me drinking nearly 4 years ago.

onehundredthidiot

Ok so pretty much what i was thinking. Soda with stuff.

Drinking on school night is hurting me both in unsettled sleep and sore heads, even 1 pint can mean i’m knackered in the morning.

luke
    Free Member

I’ve taken a liking to alcohol free Kopparberg, when I used to play football it was Blackcurrant and Soda.

Sandwich

Mineral water, ice and a slice. Looks like G&T or VAT and if you squint it feels like a special drink.

jota180
    Free Member

Drinking on school night is hurting me both in unsettled sleep and sore heads, even 1 pint can mean i’m knackered in the morning.

beats being knackered on a weekend morning when there’s lots of fun things to do 🙂

I stopped drinking on Saturdays as it made me far too lethargic on Sundays, I now make Sunday pub night.

duncancallum

ginger beer or lime and lemonade.

I used to drink pints of coke but the caffine made me mental and the drive home was probably more dangerous than if I had a couple of beers.

tang
    Free Member

I don’t drink either. It’s ginger beer, tonic & slice, bitter lemon & soda or a Henry after a hot ride.

zippykona

A nice cup of tea.

MrNice
    Free Member

xherbivorex – is your assessment of alcohol free beers based on a comparison against “real” beer? I actually enjoy the taste of beer and if it’s not the same I’ll stick to the genuine soft drinks. Not trying to be argumentative but I wouldn’t take advice on sausages from a vegan…

wrecker
    Free Member

cobra zero is disgusting.

You are the master of understatement. Words cannot describe this revolting putrid insulting mess. I’d sooner sip a pint of dioralyte.
    I don’t find becks blue too bad. Drinkable.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve tried lots of alcohol free beers
    TBH, I don’t think calling them beer helps, beer flavoured drink perhaps?
    Much the same as an orange drink may well be pleasant but it doesn’t really taste of oranges.

milkyman
    Free Member

Alchol free beer is like licking your sister out, it tastes the same but you know it’s not right

joshvegas
    Free Member

I drink everything fast so it gets expensive and far to sweet very quickly. So i usually get pints of water and the odd spicey tomato juice.

chaos

If you want to avoid something too sweet, try out a ‘Rock Shandy’. Very simple drink – half soda, half lemonade and a dash of Angostura Bitters. The lemonade gives it a bit of body while the Angostura takes away the sweetness and also gives some flavour.

Proper colonial stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

Alchol free beer is like licking your sister out, it tastes the same but you know it’s not right

Oooookay.

CountZero

Really not at all sure whether to be amused or outraged at that…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

xherbivorex – is your assessment of alcohol free beers based on a comparison against “real” beer?

well to be fair, it’s been around 25 years since i had “real” beer, so probably not, no!
    friends tell me that the erdinger one is not that far from the regular alcoholic ones though, but as for the others i was never a big lager/pilsner drinker anyway so who knows.

the fosters radler tastes like shandy with lemon in it.

breadcrumb

Really not at all sure whether to be amused or outraged at that…

It’s STW, you should be outraged obvs!

johndoh
    Free Member

milkyman – Member
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I shouldn’t, but I did.

LOL that is.

MrNice
    Free Member

Agreed that the radler stuff isn’t unpleasant but the low alcohol version (as opposed to the no alcohol one) is better. I should try the erdinger…

chrisdw
    Free Member

Cranberry juice

tomkerton
    Free Member

Pint of diet lemonade with angostura bitters in it. Tastes good and looks like a pint of beer.

Edit – what chaos has already said above!

nealglover
    Free Member

As a long time fan of Erdinger, I think the non boozey version is pretty good.

I’ve compared them side by side, and although they aren’t the same, its seriously not far off, and very nice I reckon.

psling
    Free Member

Well, after you’ve finished with your sister you could always wear her jeans and order a coffee with a continental name.

Coke with lime cordial is a favourite of mine btw.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just had a Pepsi Max with lime tonight and it was great !

Although I think I’m now addicted to it, which is annoying.

Philby

I drink Ginger Beer – either the posh Entleman’s stuff or the Old Jamaica hot and fiery stuff – or J20 or Appletiser.

Northwind

I used to just drink cola, but with that much caffeine and sugar inside me I’m probably more unsafe to drive than if I’d just drunk 5 pints.

If it’s a pub you drink in often, see if they can get something in to suit- no risk to them, if they get in a slab of alcohol free that they know you’ll drink.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

OJ and soda?

onehundredthidiot

Don’t think I can bring myself to drink non alcoholic beers, it’ll just make me fancy a real beer. Might revert to soda, dash of lime and couple of drops of bitters.
    OJ and soda might work too.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah lemon&lime bitters is quite popular non-alc beverage here in Oz. It’s quite refreshing (but imho needs a shot of decent vodka in!)

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

J2O topped up to a pint with lemonade.

binners

Does Milkyman get the award for analogy of the year with that one? He should do! 😆

milkyman
    Free Member

I just want to be clear, I was NOT speaking from experience 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

I just want to be clear, I was NOT speaking from experience

I call the Edinburgh defence.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘pub non-drinking’ is closed to new replies.