• This topic has 54 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by timba.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • PSA – Nesting boxes
  • wheelsonfire1

Just taken delivery of the Aspen and Vail models (probably too many) and ordered some more. Excellent quality and £6.99 each with reasonable shipping costs. It’s not too late to put some up, I realised when cleaning my covid purchased boxes that they’ve not stood the test of time – these are on another level of quality.
    National Trust Vail Larch 32mm Nest Box

convert

Thanks – was going to make some but at £6.99 it’s not worth my while and look well made too.

IHN

Will these work for swallows? We have swallows nesting in our stables last summer, which was lovely, but they shat everywhere, which wasn’t. If I can block up where they were getting in and put something like this up next to it I’ll be a happy man

thelawman

Will these work for swallows?

Highly unlikely. They’re called Barn Swallows for a reason, and won’t take well to a tit-box like that one at all.
    For an artificial swallow-box, you need something more like Swallow box perhaps with one of these? underneath it. The box though does ideally need to be installed under shelter rather than outside.

wheelsonfire1

No, won’t work for swallows, swifts or house martins.  Works for tits, tree sparrows, nuthatch, spotted flycatcher, lesser spotted woodpecker – depending on hole size. If I had a building that swallows, swifts or martins nested in I’d be very happy – they return to the same spot from their winter feeding grounds many thousands of miles away, all without a Garmin! If the excrement is bothering you try mounting a small platform below the nest to catch it, I’ve seen this work successfully with martins on the side of buildings. Enjoy the diversity of nature, it’s an honour to have them!

wheelsonfire1

Monday is Wingerworth Nest Box day! So impressed with the quality I’ve ordered as many again..IMG_3344

convert

If I had a building that swallows, swifts or martins nested in I’d be very happy

At one point last summer I did a count and we had 24 active house martin nests on the property. On a warm still summer’s night (especially if it’s been damp in the morning) when the midge are in full swing the air is an aerobatic feast. Then at dusk the bats (70 at the last count) drop out of the loft and take over for the night shift.

IHN

f I had a building that swallows, swifts or martins nested in I’d be very happy

Don’t get me wrong, I am, but they don’t just crap out of the nest, they perch on various bits of pipework and stuff and crap from that too. And crap whilst flying in, around and out. And they’re not actually stables anymore, one is basically a garage and the other a utility room, so crap on the top of the washing machine isn’t very nice 🙁 Plus, the nest they built is literally on a light fitting, so not massively safe.

For an artificial swallow-box, you need something more like Swallow box perhaps with one of these? underneath it. The box though does ideally need to be installed under shelter rather than outside.

Ta. They can be really well tucked up under the eaves of the ‘outside bit’ of the stables, no issues.

tlr

Please be very careful about disrupting the swallows (easy for me to say when it’s not my property being shat on) – swallows, martins and swifts are really struggling for nesting sites these days with a resulting decline in their populations.

There may well be a local swift or swallow group around you that could advise on how to best site any replacement boxes you want to put up to maximise the chances of success.

DT78
    Free Member

how high do those nesting boxes need to be to be used?  All I’ve got is the side of a shed or a fence post

benp1

2 to 3 metres up ideally

wheelsonfire1

And out of the sun otherwise they bake!

Marko

@wheelsonfire1

Thanks for that. Great PSA. 2 on order

timba
    Free Member

Our perennial blackbird nesting site has been claimed by robins as I type. We’ll see what happens when the big fella makes an appearance!

No boxes, just a dense box honeysuckle 🙂 Robbie’s a very assertive type but the blackbirds are much bigger, any bets?

budgierider67

Thanks for the heads up. Boxes & peanut butter ordered.

Bunnyhop

The RSPB has lots of really good advice on what nest box type for which bird (eg sparrows are sociable and need to nest in groups). Where to place the box eg height, compass position. Also tips such as putting out fresh water for the birds, nesting material to put out eg wool (I collect this from fences), NOT dog or human hair or duvet fluff.
    The wilder the garden the better, so there will moss, leaves , twigs, hay etc.to hand (beak haha).

gecko76

Ordered 25 for our Cubs to build. We’ve done it from scratch before using the RSPB guide but these look a) smarter and b) a hellalot easier.

zntrx
    Free Member

On a slightly tangential topic…

We’re in the suburbs of Glasgow. I went through a lot of trial and error before getting a bird feeder that was squirrel proof.

This has been great, we go through masses of sunflower seeds year round.

Well it was great until we realised that the scraps from the feeders caused a rat infestation. We’ve been rat free for a few months now but haven’t dared to put the bird feeders out again yet.

Any tips on how to feed without also attracting rats?

wheelsonfire1

We’re lucky enough to have a very large garden (very small house!) and we’ve created a lovely habitat for wildlife However, we’ve always fed the birds all year round but have now stopped due to the rats! We have two terriers who keep the numbers down but the rats hide in the next door gardens and come out when the dogs are inside knowing that they can scuttle away to safety, last year they hid under the decking and then constructed a nesting chamber under our new path which I then had to re-lay. We have foxes, stoats and weasels that should keep the numbers down but they still survive, since stopping feeding they’ve not been a problem and I still appear to have the same number and diversity of birds in the garden. I know this doesn’t help you but unfortunately rats thrive where there’s an easy food source.

On the nest box topic, here’s some information to help site them –

https://www.bto.org/how-you-can-help/providing-birds/putting-nest-boxes-birds/putting-nest-box

CountZero

I’m about to order some Swift boxes to go under my guttering on the front of the house, which is north facing, I’ll get someone I know to fit them, because there’s no way I would go up a ladder! I’ll see how they do, there are swifts around, so if they are successful, I can add some more – I think I could get six along the front of the house. I’m thinking of putting some sparrow boxes along the side of the house as well; I used to have at least one regular family, but for some reason they stopped nesting under the eaves, so I want to encourage them back, they’re such cheerful little birds to have around.

mjsmke

Just ordered 2.

dyna-ti

Chap that came round to look at a big dust extractor I was selling was showing me some of his wood turnings. And very nice they were too.

In amongst them were bird boxes he makes, turned and shaped like giant acorns.

I’ve some laurel logs from some trimming we did at the parents-about 10″ in diameter, and they’ve been drying int heir cellar for the last 2 or 3 years and i intend to plagiarize his bird boxes into some. Ive 3 sections of log(probably 9-10″ diameter by 12″ high), to hopefully make 3. Hopefully they’ll all remain split free and should turn well enough.

timba
    Free Member

Ignore, misread post

natrix
    Free Member

Ordered 25 for our Cubs to build.

Looks to me as if they come ready assembled…………..

wheelsonfire1

The open fronted boxes for robins, wrens etc are self assembly, I’m doing one with our grandson on Thursday.

gecko76

Looks to me as if they come ready assembled…………..

Hmm, you could be right. Ah well, in that case we’ll take them along to a bit of woodland we have access to and have fun putting them up.

wheelsonfire1

If you sell them for £10 each in the local area then you’ll make a healthy profit to purchase the robin boxes at £8.95 for them to assemble?

wheelsonfire1

IMG_2315All ready to put up, stainless hole protectors added to the ones that didn’t have them, sheep’s wool added inside and the labels with the most sticky of sticky stuff removed.

wheelsonfire1

The majority are now up, a blue tit inspected before I’d taken the ladder down! I found that if fastened to trees it needs a fixing in addition to the ones supplied, I put another screw in from inside to stabilise. On sheds or fences it’ll be fine.

fadda

Excellent psa – the 2 I ordered are arriving tomorrow, and will get put up at the weekend!

nuke

Yep, great psa…got 4 on order

binman

My 3 turned up earlier all a bit worse for the trip  Glued and clamped, should be ok tomorrow. Bit of a shame but easily fixed.

mjsmke

2 arrived yesterday. Seem pretty good.

Any ideas on how to attach them to a tree without nails or screws? Pine tree with about a 60cm wide trunk.

neilforrow

Also, any tips on the best places to locate them?? I’ve got a couple to put up…

edit – google helps! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vsrOB3xs8

pictonroad

These are great quality, fantastic PSA.

Thoughts on using a water based treatment on the outside to protect the timber?

Squirrel

@wheelsonfire1 thanks for the excellent PSA. The nest boxes are fab!

wheelsonfire1

Update on the boxes I’ve installed. A lot of interest in all the boxes, the only thing is that the sheep wool I’ve put in has been removed! I’ve just been observing a blue tit going in a flying out with great clumps- obviously has to be their idea!!

zilog6128

Got a bunch delivered on Fri (although not put them up yet!) Great quality, cannot argue for the money. Also got a couple of feeders that take a jar of peanut butter which seemed like a good idea! (again not put them up yet or bought any peanut butter 😂)

zilog6128

double post!!

dafoj
    Free Member

These are amazing quality for the money, top PSA.

They came with a hook to secure, might fit a bracket to the bottom to stop them rocking in the wind, anyone put theirs up yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.