Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • PSA: Discounted Pinnacle frames at Evans
  • the_kenburg

Don’t buy anything from Evans, they are an absolute horror show of a company! My riding buddy bought a Norco from them 2 years ago, it’s had a litany of issues (not caused by his riding style btw) and Evans have been appalling whenever he has taken it in to them.
    Avoid at all costs!

Dickyboy

Bit ott that response kenburg, not that I’m any great fan, but I’m sure like me there are plenty of people who’ve bought from Evans both pre & Post Mike Ashley’s involvement with no issues whatsoever.

rossburton
    Free Member

Exactly what I’m after for my son who refuses to stop bloody growing. Thanks!

lovewookie

anyone know the geo of a 2020 Iroko? they reckon it’ll take a 29er wheel, and 65deg head angle, so I’d guess sub 440 stay and a steepish seat angle, given the updated ramin was similarly slackened (though I can’t find the thread where jameso detailed it)

rossburton
    Free Member

Annyoingly geometrygeeks doesn’t have the 2020 geo, only 2017.

I was curious for various numbers but decided to just take the punt for my son’s build.

dogthomson

Doesn’t jameso of this parish work for Pinnacle? Perhaps he can help?

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Never had issues with Evans myself. Just bought a set of brakes of them. All good

rossburton
    Free Member

Mine just arrived. Pleasantly surprised, the frame is nice and light, the lime yellow is awesome, good UK things like the seatpost split is at the front, and it came with a headset. Pleased with this.

jameso

anyone know the geo of a 2020 Iroko? they reckon it’ll take a 29er wheel,

29 x 1.9 maybe.. The Ramin is B-plus or 29 x 2.5 but the Iroko is 27.5 only.

Would be tempted with a Ramin myself if there were any L left.

Doesn’t jameso of this parish work for Pinnacle?

I left a bit over a year ago.

integra

Just ordered an Iroko and wondered if I could run a 29″ fork on it? Hopefully I can as would save me taking one off a 27.5″ bike.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I have 2 Pinnacle frames/bikes , An Arkose and Ramin 3+ … both great bikes and still going strong after years of abuse, although I need a pair of forks for the Arkose as the tyres have took more than the paint off inside the crown ! Shame they none left over to buy 🙁

lovewookie

Just ordered an Iroko and wondered if I could run a 29″ fork on it? Hopefully I can as would save me taking one off a 27.5″ bike.

If they’re designed for 130 27.5 forks, that’s about 530 a-c iirc, so a 120mm 29 should be ok if you’re fitting 27.5 wheels and want to keep similar geo. In theory anyway

integra

@lovewookie thanks for that, will have to get the tape measure out and try a few different combinations.

Simon

@jameso quick question, do you know if it’s possible to get hold of mech hangers for the Ramin ’20, are they specific to those frames or can they be sourced somewhere other than Evans?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I left a bit over a year ago.

Hopefully gainfully employed elsewhere in the industry

jameso

do you know if it’s possible to get hold of mech hangers for the Ramin ’20, are they specific to those frames or can they be sourced somewhere other than Evans?

The dropout and hanger weren’t specific to Pinnacle, if you look at an Orange or Nukeproof hardtail (not sure of the models) you’ll see the same dropout.

Big n daft, thanks, yeah still working on bikes. Opportunity came up elsewhere at the right time to move on from Evans.

Simon

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

jeffl

Great to hear you’re still working in the industry @jameso. Your comments on the Arkose thread must have sold a lot of frames for Evans. Made me go out and buy one.

Their loss and good luck in whatever you’re doing now.

jameso

Cheers Jeffl – and I hope the Arkose is serving you well

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Big n daft, thanks, yeah still working on bikes. Opportunity came up elsewhere at the right time to move on from Evans.

Excellent

jimmy

Shame the Ramin is M only. I have an older Small, non-boost and would happily update. Great frame, slightly influenced by being a £90 bargain from the classifieds, so another bargain update would be welcome.

DrP

what height do we reckon the medium iroko would suit?
    Cheers

DrP

rossburton
    Free Member

@DrP: The height range printed on the frame is 5’7 to 5’10.

ransos
    Free Member

Great to hear you’re still working in the industry @jameso. Your comments on the Arkose thread must have sold a lot of frames for Evans. Made me go out and buy one.

Same here! I’ve been very pleased with mine.

akira

@jameso I must have left Evans shortly after you in the great ’21 exodus. I wonder if they are going to keep releasing new pinnacle and Hoy models or just splash new paint on them every year until they’re obsolete?

jameso

@akira Not sure tbh. It might be harder to get changes through but I can’t see why they’d let them get as obsolete as Muddy Fox did. One of the Pinnacle + Hoy product management team is still there, he’s a good guy who knows what’s important. And Hoy kids bikes are pretty future-proof.

akira

I do regret not getting an Arkose before I left, but by the time I was leaving the trade was rubbish and been working in shops so long I can’t bring myself to pay nearly full price 😁

jtdm
    Free Member

@jameso

I don’t suppose you’d be able to advise on internally routing a dropper on a 2019 Iroko? I found a few references to some kind of cable guide kit on the Arkose thread but the links are now dead.

Thanks!

PS – looking forward to seeing whatever you’ve moved on to these days. My 2015 Arkose is still in daily use, though the frameset is the only stock component!

jameso

I do regret not getting an Arkose before I left

Same here tbh. But I still have a few old Genesis protos from that hoarding mentality and not enough space for them..

@jtdm
    the spares are long gone it seems but they were stock Yozu inserts so you may find some parts online. There was a bolt-in plate for the upper DT guide port that could take a dropper cable only or a dropper and a side swing FD cable, another for the lower DT exit port and a rubber grommet that took the dropper cable from the DT to the ST.
    Yozu site –
    http://www.yozu.com.tw/tw_products.php?page=6&action=page&&cid=3
    Part numbers –

akira

@jaemso Bought a genesis flyer instead and then changed the wheels, bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, forks and brake levers so I’m sorted now. Once I change the cranks and brakes…..

jameso

Flyers are fun, still have 1 of the 2 I had. Kept the one with a 725 frame, Dura-Ace track cranks, posh hubs etc. Black with white bands. A summer evenings bike.

I see the other Pinnacle bikes discounted are mostly at inflated RRPs then ‘reduced’. Arkose 4s at over £2k then reduced to the RRP they should be at for the spec. Yet there are a couple of decent discounts among them (Aspen 24 kids bike at £235?) and those frames are really good value for £250, never mind £150.
    And FWIW the FLR shoes they have are good – was impressed by that brand, got a couple of pairs and still use them.

rossburton
    Free Member

I just started building my Iroko but it doesn’t come with covers or gromits for the internal routing, or cable holders for the external (rear mech/brake) routing.

The internal stuff is above in the thread, but not the external holders. Anyone know (cough @jameso cough) know where to get those from?

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Iroko is a great frame. I prefer it to even LLS hardtails like the BFE Max, Norco Torrent, Moxie etc. Just such a fun poppy bike when built up and very capable. That price is unbeatable for what the frame is capable of.

superstu
    Free Member

Had an iroko a few years ago and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Really compliant and just a great do it all hardtail

rossburton
    Free Member

Cheers jameso!

desperatebicycle

Ha! Missed this thread, but have been looking for a more modern geo 29er and ordered a Iroko last Friday. Looks like a good choice… and so cheap.
    ps. also available from SportsDirect where I buys all my mtbing equipments 😀

Simon

I’ve just had a Ramin frame delivered. It came with rear axle, FSA headset, bolt on cable guides and star nut+top cap.

rossburton
    Free Member

Hm my Iroko came with everything there but the cable guides. Maybe I should contact them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Discounted Pinnacle frames at Evans’ is closed to new replies.