Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA Dehumidifier for Garage/Shed
  • irc

For anyone needing a dehumidifier for somewhere with low temps. I bought this one a few days ago. Working well in an unheated garage with outside temps from +4 – -6C. Simple to operate. It is the dessicant type rather than the more common refrigerant type which doesn’t work at temps near freezing.

Only downside is that while it can be set up to drain it doesn’t supply adrain tube citing “green” waste reduction.

So needs regular emptying until humidity is reduced. My garage was apparently dry but the wooden door had started to jam slightly. After running the thing for 3 days and it has eased up again.

It has several humidity settings and different fan speeds. Available various places.

Meaco Portable Compact Dehumidifier DD8L

Which? Best Buy 2014/2015/2016
    Multi- award winning desiccant dehumidifier
    Desiccant dehumidifiers are lighter – just 6.4Kgs
    Quieter on low fan speed – just 39dB
    Great for winter use as it warms the air as it dehumidifies

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At the moment humidity levels are very very low. Are you sure it’s just not the natural humidity levels that are making the difference?

Yesterday I ran an outside tap to prevent it freezing – big puddle of water. Today that puddle has completely disappeared due to the low humidity

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got the DD8L Zambezi and it works very well in a sort of coal hole at the back of the house.

Cougar

I got the same one I think based on recommendations when I asked a couple of weeks back.

I grossly underspecced, I’m having to empty it three times a day and I’ve no easy way of draining it externally.

irc

. Are you sure it’s just not the natural humidity levels that are making the difference?

Don’t think so. I’ve emptied it 3 or 4 times. If that water isn’t coming from the outside air then it iscoming from the shed (14x10ft wooden).

From past experience the dehumidifier dries out the shed. Then I don’t need to run it again for a week or to. The door had beenstcking for a few weeks.

irc

I grossly underspecced, I’m having to empty it three times a day and I’ve no easy way of draining it externally.

Yes. it’s a small tank. Too small for anywhere generating large amount of vapour with cooking/laundry etc. Workswell at low temps forsheds/garageswhich are more or less watertight.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think what I’d do is put the unit higher up (on a crate or something) and use the external drain into a container. You could try going to a dry cleaners and asking if they have a 25L plastic drum going spare.

Cougar

Yeah, that crossed my mind. But then there’s no safety cut-off if it fills up is there, it’ll just wee everywhere.

Dry cleaners is a good shout, hadn’t thought of that. Ta.

granny_ring

You could try going to a dry cleaners and asking if they have a 25L plastic drum going spare.

Or a builders bucket or bigger platerers bucket?
    Bit easier to empty as smaller but obviously more often.

jam-bo

Drain it to the outside…

Cougar

My cellar doesn’t have an outside that I’m aware of.

duncancallum

@cougar

And a bigger bucket/drum…..

Cougar

Oh. Holy crap, who knew. Thank you.

This one looks a better choice?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/LACORAMO-Detector-Control-Basement-Baseroom/dp/B08BZ7SYMB/

duncancallum

Glad to be of assistance.

Only reason Looked is we made shit versions at school for CDT and I thought someone must have done a better version

Cougar

I think what I’d do is put the unit higher up (on a crate or something) and use the external drain into a container. You could try going to a dry cleaners and asking if they have a 25L plastic drum going spare.

This, plus the sensor I linked to above, went in today. The dehumidifier is now on a smart plug, if the sensor fires then the plug cuts power to the dehumidifier. It’s on a test run now but if it works I’ll be very happy. Cheers all.

Cougar

Note: tape over speaker cos it’s clucking loud and I don’t need it. I’ll take it to bits and carve it out once I’m happy it all works.

zilog6128

Bought one of the Meaco jobbies this week off the back of this thread. It’s brilliant (the compressor dehumidifier I put in the garage wasn’t doing anything because of the cold temp).

I think what I’d do is put the unit higher up (on a crate or something) and use the external drain into a container.

yeah this is what I’ve done for now, used one of my 30L home brewing containers! Will hook it up to proper drainage at some point (got the plumbing in there already for the washing machine)

Cougar

The container came via my OH’s daughter’s fella, he’s a mechanic at a Lexus dealer. I had a sudden brainwave, “does your place buy, uh, fluids?” He came home with that the next day. I’m not quite sure why they’d need such a thing but it previously held turps.

b230ftw
    Free Member

If anyone wants a DD8L I have one up for sale soon – don’t need it anymore. In west Yorks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA Dehumidifier for Garage/Shed’ is closed to new replies.