Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • PSA: Apollo 11 film
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

it’s incredibly tense.

The score makes it tense. Relentlessly so. A bit of anxiety is fine for the lift-off and the landing, but could the composer have allowed us some variety of emotional response? It’s a constant stresser. Reminds me of Dunkirk, maybe because it was the last IMAX I saw, but there was a similarity with the score.

The contrast between Apollo 11 and For All Mankind is like one of those demonstrations from music lessons at school as to how the brain interprets exactly the same images differently depending on soundtrack. I want to watch FAM again for the dreamlike wonder and mild euphoria, I think that’s the antidote.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Watched it at IMAX last night. Thought it was awesome; as was the score.

The F-1 engines sounded incredible through the IMAX subs.

dannybgoode

Well enjoyed it. Agree with Chunky – the launch through the imax sound system is about as close as you’ll ever get to the real thing – just awesome :).

Didn’t think the music made it particularly tense either – I quite liked it.

Basically if you’re at all interested in the Apollo missions just go see it.

The Neil Armstrong biopic looks very interesting too.

Cougar

Just got back from the IMAX. It’s the film I’ve waited 40 years to see. Awesome.

the launch through the imax sound system is about as close as you’ll ever get to the real thing

I was talking about this on the way out. I’ve been lucky enough to catch a real launch, viewed from about where the shots across the bay were filmed from (that’s either Satellite Beach or Coco Beach I think, from memory it’s about 2 miles outside of Minimum Safe Distance). If anything it underplayed it, even that far out it’s like being hit in the chest with a bass bin at a rock concert. And that was just a regular ol’ rocket, the Saturn V must’ve loosened fillings.

CountZero

The only disappointment is that it feels quite short – it’s 1:33 but I could have watched hours more of it.

I missed most of it, but there was a bloke on The One Show the other evening who I believe was involved with the film, and there’s something like nine hours of footage!
    Plus, there are a couple of reels of original video tape going up for auction of the landing, which was bought years ago as part of a job lot. NASA has copied it onto a digital format now.

franksinatra

I have clearance from house control to vector to Edinburgh to see it tonight, T-9 hours, can’t wait!

dannybgoode

If anything it underplayed it, even that far out it’s like being hit in the chest

Oh I’m quite sure – I’ve spoken to other people who have been at launches and they’ve said the same.

Yeah actually watching a Saturn V go up would have been unforgettable. Reckon the Shuttle too would impress :).

I’m giddy enough about seeing the display one at KSC next year-shame there’s no launches scheduled whilst I’m over though.

Twodogs

Saw at London Imax last night…really enjoyed it, tho I’m glad I’d heard quite a few of the BBC podcast first, cos that had explained a lot that was going on…could have done with subtitles for some of the radio transmissions too!

Cougar

I’m giddy enough about seeing the display one at KSC

It is astonishingly big.

They’ve got the rocket garden outside with various Atlas / Titan rockets, and the Saturn II-B which is so big they’ve had to lie it down. You see that and think “damn, that’s big.” Then you get to the Apollo centre and realise the II-B is a firework.

Cougar

Oh, and,

Do the tour. The extended tour is worth doing, the ATX experience not so much (as an adult anyway).

“Lunch with an astronaut” was far more interesting than I’d anticipated, but I guess that’s dependant on the guest speaker. We had Story Musgrave (who I’d never heard of before) and he was brilliant. Gotta love a guy who for a hobby decided to train as a brain surgeon.

dannybgoode

“Lunch with an astronaut”

Is already booked :). In fact I’m going twice – once with babybgoode (now 7 so not really a baby anymore) who I’m sure will enjoy it but won’t want to spend an hour looking at the space shuttle for example and then again on my own.

Will definitely book on for the extended tour in that case as well. Honestly – Disney and Universal whilst I’m sure will be a whole load of family fun hold almost zero appeal for me.

KSC on the other hand…

Cougar

Universal is fantastic, but I’m also a coaster geek. If white-knuckle rides aren’t your thing, take in some of the shows. Terminator 2 3D, Spider-man, Shrek etc are all fab.

Orlando’s theme parks aren’t like Blackpool Pleasure Beach, they’re in a different league. The attention to detail and customer service are second to none, even the ridge queuing areas are interesting.

franksinatra

That was very, very good.

How is is possible for humans to harness, and control, that much power from the Saturn? I just cant fathom how they can release that much energy without something breaking.
    And Buzz Aldrin heart rate…!

The only thing with the documentary is I don’t think it reflected just how close they were to disaster the whole time. Luckily there are lots of amazing books and 13 Second to the Moon podcast to cover the detail.

scuttler

I’m giddy enough about seeing the display one at KSC next year-shame there’s no launches scheduled whilst I’m over though.

Don’t bet on it. They come thick and fast but are still ultimately subject to technical limitations and most importantly the weather which means nothing is set in stone. There was nothing scheduled for our visit last May but a nagging doubt caused me to recheck the schedule whilst we were there. One Falcon 9 night launch later… 😉

Ewan
    Free Member

Saw Apollo 11 at the imax last night. Hard to overstate how good it was – properly amazing.

If you get a chance to see it at an imax, do it.

franksinatra

If you get a chance to see it at an imax, do it.

I think imax does the scale of it best, the takeoff scene was breathtaking. It will still be good to watch on normal screen at home but you will loose the immersive aspect.

Cougar

There was nothing scheduled for our visit last May but a nagging doubt caused me to recheck the schedule whilst we were there. One Falcon 9 night launch later… 😉

That’s how I netted mine. We’d been out at a theme park or something, got back to the accommodation and just happened to put the TV on in the evening to hear “and tomorrow morning’s launch…” – wait, what?

Cougar

@dannybgoode – I’ve just thought. If you want something else a bit different to do in Orlando, check out https://www.doldricksescaperoom.com

disco_stu
    Free Member

I watched it yesterday on the Imax in Birmingham, thought it was fantastic. Though watching the start of it made me want to watch a documentary on the training and building of the Saturn V launches are there – is there anything good on Netflix?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Has anyone got any idea where I can see this in Surrey or do I have to go to London Town to watch it?
    Can’t find it anywhere.

dannybgoode

A decent documentary on the Saturn V

CountZero

How is is possible for humans to harness, and control, that much power from the Saturn? I just cant fathom how they can release that much energy without something breaking.

It’s just like humans walking upright: always on the verge of falling flat on its face!
    The whole space adventure has been teetering on the ragged edge of disaster from the very beginning, just look at the capsule fire, Apollo 13, Challenger…
    The Saturn V was just a spectacularly big firework, you just had to stand further back after lighting the blue touch-paper!

scuttler

Has anyone got any idea where I can see this in Surrey or do I have to go to London Town to watch it?
    Can’t find it anywhere.

A lot of IMAXs were only showing it Fri-Sun so you might struggle. Sorry. The Media Museum in Bradford (part of the science museum family) is showing a cut-down 45 min version most of summer so that might be on at the Science Museum. Also we haven’t hit the 50th anniversary yet so it’d be a shame if that was it for the big screen. I’d like to see it again so will keep my eyes out and post on here if it comes back on.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Not in deepest darkest Surrey but not right in town either.

My local has it on the 20th. https://www.olympiccinema.co.uk/film/Apollo-11

Not IMAX but they have quality sound.

willow1212
    Free Member

Again this may be a bit far away depending on where you are in Surrey, but Crawley Cineworld are showing it up to Sunday I believe. Not Imax though. We saw it on the Imax screen there on Saturday and it was incredible, but it was about 70% empty unfortunately.

sce2aux
    Free Member

Bit late to the party on this one as was working all weekend but just back from a showing in Leeds. Absolutely awesome. I’ve been looking forward to this for ages and it didn’t disappoint. The footage is so clear and it’s so well edited I had to keep reminding myself it was genuine archive footage and not actors in a movie. The entire Apollo program is just mind blowing on so many levels.

Alex

After this thread, I’ve listened to the fantastic 13 minutes… podcast. Every episode a different bit of brilliant. I just re-listened to the programming one and it’s just mind-blowing how much of the stuff was being made up/developed as they went along.

The film was great. I watched it at the small but never less than lovely Showroom Cinema in sheffield (working at one of the Unis. It’s my old home town but it’s changed so much. For the better. I remember when the cinema WAS a car showroom!). Small screen but full and there was a spontaneous round of applause at the end.

For me it was all the things that could have gone wrong. Everyone knows about the 1022 (?) error on the LIM, but the manual docking (twice), the long burns, the heat shield.. even when you know how it ends, it still has you gripped. I reckon my heart rate was way higher than Buzz’s!

I loved the lack of narration etc. Those pictures and Walter K doing his gravelly thing were a brilliant way to tell the story.

tillydog
    Free Member

Saw it in I-Max last Saturday and thought it was excellent.

I am left with the firm impression that our civilisation has peaked.

jamj1974

Great film and the 13 Minutes podcast is fantastic too.

franksinatra

After this thread, I’ve listened to the fantastic 13 minutes… podcast. Every episode a different bit of brilliant. I just re-listened to the programming one and it’s just mind-blowing how much of the stuff was being made up/developed as they went along.

I’ve been listening to it but I can’t find the final episode, number 9. Has anyone else got this problem?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Damn…. Crawley would have worked for me.
    No way I’m going to get there before Sunday though.
    It’s such as shame that this is on limited release but other tripe seems to run for weeks.
    I will see it….. somehow.
    Not sure a dvd is going to do it justice.

mlpinto
    Free Member

I saw it last night and thought it was great. A guy at work shared this link with me yesterday that looks a good follow up – Apollo in real time

jamj1974

Not all of the 13 minutes are out yet – at least not via the IOS podcast app.

pondo

The contrast between Apollo 11 and For All Mankind is like one of those demonstrations from music lessons at school as to how the brain interprets exactly the same images differently depending on soundtrack. I want to watch FAM again for the dreamlike wonder and mild euphoria, I think that’s the antidote.

Just to say, For All Mankind is on BBC Four tonight – looking forward to that. 🙂

Alex

is there anything good on Netflix?

I watched Mission Control on Netflix last night. Really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a watch.

solarider
    Free Member

I have pre-ordered on iTunes, but there isn’t a release date on the site. Anybody know when it is due for release?

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Apollo 11 film’ is closed to new replies.