Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 252 total)
  • Potentially career ending meeting with HR tomorrow – bets on outcome?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

So, they’ve bent over backwards to relocate you, to a ward that has less negative effect on your health, and your getting TOIL and travelling expenses.

Do you brasso on your neck?

^This

boomerlives
    Free Member

Given the current situation it seemed churlish to make any more fuss

I think that covers it perfectly, you could be a good deal much worse off.

bensales
    Free Member

Getting paid expenses for normal commute is a taxable benefit so don’t forget to declare it.

dannybgoode

Good to hear you got a positive outcome. It always amazes me how badly organisations like the NHS handle HR matters in the early proceedings.

Mrs D had a stage 4 (final warning/dismissal stage) meeting and the ward manager got more of a bollocking than she did as the preceding 3 stages had not really been followed properly and a whole load of stuff not recorded/ recorded incorrectly.

Left them nowhere to go in the end.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do you brasso on your neck?

Couldny give him a red neck with a blowtorch

FB-ATB

Getting paid expenses for normal commute is a taxable benefit so don’t forget to declare it.

But in this case it’s travel to a different location from the usual place of work, hence not a benefit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A neck an axe couldnae mark…..

Drac

Mrs D had a stage 4 (final warning/dismissal stage) meeting and the ward manager got more of a bollocking than she did as the preceding 3 stages had not really been followed properly and a whole load of stuff not recorded/ recorded incorrectly.

What’s happened there is you’ve mistaken the entire NHS which is made up of many entities all with a different HR department with your wife’s boss.

Anyway TJ it’s the outcome that should have been offered first a suitable adjustment for both parties. It’s not always possible which is why it can lead to dismissal but in your case once you accepted a bit of a commute it was.

ElShalimo

I’m sure that TJ being an altruistic chap  will spend the time he is “working”,  or  having fun on his ebike, doing other things to help the NHS in their hour of need

tjagain

Drac – I have been asking for this for more than 6 months – its not really needed now as I am 99% healed. They would not even offer me this previously.

My ward manager has been trying to get me shifted ; under redeployment ( wrong under policy and leaves me very vulnerable to dismissal) or fired ( again wrong under policy)

there is lots more in the background here as well that I really should not go into but lets just say my ward manager now has her wish – I am off her staff roster

If the management had followed policy then I wouldn’t have had to fight so hard. Because they have not followed policy then they have to basically offer sweeteners as they know that if I really dug my heels in several of the managers would be getting disciplined for not following procedure /bullying

Private sector don’t always get it right either – previous in the private sector when someone wanted rid of me in a similar situation I was entitled to one months notice and £400. I got 7 months garden leave and £7000.

Join a union, read policies.

BruceWee

The responses on here to someone getting what they are legally entitled to remind me why I will almost certainly never be able to work in the UK again.

I don’t know why people spend so much time tearing down others when what they should be doing is organising and getting a better deal for themselves and their co-workers.

Scandinavia has ruined me for any other country.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The responses on here to someone getting what they are legally entitled to remind me why I will almost certainly never be able to work in the UK again.

Tbh, my comments are tongue in cheek, and I’m sure TJ is long enough in the tooth to understand that. I’m pleased for him the situation has worked out well, and his career won’t end on a sour note.

FB-ATB

Tbh, my comments are tongue in cheek, and I’m sure TJ is long enough in the tooth to understand that

Are you using the Edinborough Defence?

I’m sure that TJ being an altruistic chap will spend the time he is “working”, or having fun on his ebike, doing other things to help the NHS in their hour of need

Nah, he’s got another chain to putoline!

djflexure

Edinburgh

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Are you using the Edinborough Defence?

The where now?..

bruneep

If the management had followed policy then I wouldn’t have had to fight so hard. Because they have not followed policy then they have to basically offer sweeteners as they know that if I really dug my heels in several of the managers would be getting disciplined for not following procedure /bullying

Very much this ^

I was a right thorn in the side of management in FS when they didn’t abide by their policies.
    Conversations went along the line of…
    “I dont make the policy, I just follow it to the letter. If you do the same there would be no need for the chat we are having now”

Drac

Drac – I have been asking for this for more than 6 months – its not really needed now as I am 99% healed. They would not even offer me this previously.

Like I say it’s the offer that should have been offered first.

molgrips
    Free Member

7 mile commute is ideal. Bit of exercise, not too long to be a pain.

tjagain

1000ft of climbing and I have to be there for 7am clean and sweat free. then home again after 12 hrs physical work

kerley
    Free Member

ebike?

zilog6128

ebike?

Definitely something the OP should look into. I hear the Tongsheng kits are quite good now.

boomerlives
    Free Member

1000ft of climbing and I have to be there for 7am

You should be home in a flash then.

Every cloud etc…

pistonbroke
    Free Member

So it’s TJ 1 NHS 0
    Maybe you need to think about how many items of PPE your subsidised ride to work is costing. I understand that your employers are, in your opinion, a bunch of incompetents but reporting your “win” in the current climate seems rather crass.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

But TJ is the NHS? Not two separate things

tjagain

Its a score draw. I have avoided being sacked for being injured and reporting malpractice that puts me and my colleagues at risk. My ward manager got rid of me which she as been trying to do since the injury.

I was offered to be ferried each way in a taxi and to work different hours to the rest of the ward ie arrive late, finish early. I am going to cycle instead on my ebike at a cost of £700 to me and to work normal hours. My way is a LOT cheaper and less disruptive. Travelling expenses will be so low I probably will not bother claiming. Even if I do its a tenner a month not £20 a day which a taxi would be
    Nor was I reporting this as a win – I thought some folk might be interested how it all turned out. Its not a win.

bruneep

Maybe you need to think about how many items of PPE your subsidised ride to work is costing. I understand that your employers are, in your opinion, a bunch of incompetents but reporting your “win” in the current climate seems rather crass.

No its not! If the policy is he get compensated for his relocation, that’s what he should get. What next NHS staff forgoing their pay/shift allowances as its taking money out of NHS that could be spent on PPE?

Drac

🤦🏻‍♂️

gobuchul
    Free Member

So is TJ basically a poor version of Richard Branson?

convert

Don’t feel compelled to get into the rights or wrongs of if the travel should be toil or not. But……is it total travel time that is being allowed as part of your working hours or the difference between the new and the old location? So if say the old place was 4 miles and the new 7, do you get 3 miles of 7 worth of time back?

scotroutes

Classic “rock and a hard place” update TJ. Might have been better, especially in the current environment, to have kept this quiet for a few months 😉

stumpyjon

TJ, I think my previous post might have been a bit harsh, let me try to explain. I think you are probably right in everything you’ve done, your employer has stuffed up and not handled the situation well. You’ve personally come out of it OK despite being dragged through something for six months that could of and should have been sorted quite quickly, as you’ve accepted you were in part to blame for that but probably less than your employer.

I think the the bit that has probably brought out the worst in the rest of us is that you’ve come across a bit entitled, which is ironic as you probably are entitled under your contract and NHS procedures.

Private sector don’t always get it right either

Let me correct that for you, the private sector very rarely gets it right and usually drives a bulldozer through employees rights. The law isn’t much help either, I was in a very difficult position 18 months ago where work had made me ill and then effectively dismissed me. Everything they did was technically and morally wrong. I took good legal advice which effectively made me realise that fighting it in a tribunal was risky even though I had a strong case and payouts were limited. Punitive damages weren’t an option and a payout was definitely capped. Anyway my lawyer gave my old employer a taste of their own medicine and covered his fee many times over in extra payout.

I suppose the point is many of us feel a little aggrieved at your attitude knowing how we’ve been treated in the past and how little we could realistically do about it despite trying. That however doesn’t make it right to wade in and abuse you. Despite the shambles your employer has been they’ve actually looked after you and treated you with more thought than most, it might not feel like it but it’s true.

There’s lots of bad employers and bad employees out there who game the system, there’s probably even more good employees and employers who the system fails.

Well done for persevering, in reality probably your only fault was posting it up all on here without realising you would be judged by criteria you weren’t aware of, but we all do that everyday posting on here.

ElShalimo

Young TJ was a hottie!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

tjagain

To be clear. I am certain I am being moved under the pretext of protecting me – something that is no longer actually needed or justified. The real reasons will be that I raised some very difficult issues that affect all staff and pointed out false statements made by my ward manager. Moving me means the senior management will not have to address this.

What they offered me in terms of travel would have cost £20 per day and caused disruption and resentment on my new ward which is why I proposed a different solution which will cost at most £10 a month and cause no disruption – and leaves me seriously out of pocket. ( £700 cost of an ebike kit) and with a much longer working day.

I accepted because continuing to work where the manager has been trying to get rid of me would be unpleasant and because continuing to stand up for myself in the current situation would be wrong

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hi TJ. Everything you’ve done seems fine to me. You didn’t roll over when approached by heavyweights and fought your corner. Well done.
    And if anyone is trying to equate HR departments with frontline nursing staff they really need to get a bit of perspective.
    No one was clapping last night for middle management.

Houns

Could you buy the bike kit on the Cycle2Work work scheme ?

tjagain

NO – not allowed parts, too slow, only preferred suppliers

Woody
    Free Member

Having close experience of a broadly similar scenario (I won’t bore you with details regarding the lying, incompetent, vindictive bastards) I can say is well done and pleased you got an outcome you are happy with.

tjagain

final update if anyone cares.

I got a letter a while back from HR saying ” hope you are happy , as far as we are concerned end of story” I wrote back saying “no I am far from happy as many things remain unresolved and i am not prepared to do this commute over winter”

Result – it was kicked upstairs a couple of management tiers for yet another meeting and I finally got an adult who understands policy. I was given an apology, I am moving back to my original unit, I am to have a one to one no minutes ” clear the air meeting” with the ward manager

35 shifts left!

martinhutch

I am to have a one to one no minutes ” clear the air meeting” with the ward manager

#prayforwardmanager

🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice one TJ. Insert ‘thumbs up’ emotican here.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Potentially career ending meeting with HR tomorrow – bets on outcome?’ is closed to new replies.