Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Potential Pannier Problems (help/advice required)
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Good afternoon all,

I’m just in the midst of switching from rucksack to pannier for my commute, and I’m looking at the Tortec Velocity Hybrid to fit on my 2014 Genesis Day One Disc, reasons being I like the slimness of the rack and the hybrid takes up to 38C Tyres, (runing Conti 35c Speedcross at present).
    My only query is has anyone had any expereince of fitting these to disc brake equipped bikes, will the calipers foul the stays? Google is being very very shonky with regard to this.

Thanks in advance as always people.

clodhopper
    Free Member

That particular rack looks like it could cause some issues with a seatstay mounted brake. There are racks available with wider stays, and standoffs for attaching to the frame.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-super-tourist-dx-fdisc-rear-rack/

simondbarnes

will the calipers foul the stays?

Yes

dovebiker

The standoff bottom brackets are designed to clear a disc caliper so they might work. Axiom do some disc-specific racks for decent money – they use an offset bottom mount. There are so many different configurations due to frame size, geometry it’s hard to give an answer without trying.

fasthaggis

You may have to put some spacers in the caliper side,and or put a slight bend in to the rack legs* to make it clear.
    Go for it ,get bodging 😉

*both legs 4Symmetry and all that.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The Tortec will foul the disc. It’s not easy to bend either.

This one would probably work better
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Axiom-Streamliner-Road-Deluxe-Rear-Rack_54703.htm

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Horatio that is a good shout cheers mate

I’ll go and have a look see at that now

even better I think my LBS deal with Axiom as well

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have that Axiom one. Works fine and is fairly slimline and cheap enough. Mine is mounted through the rear wheel QR but I’d use the proper rack mounts if possible. The top bracket which mounts to the seatstay bridge required a bit of fettling to fit properly.

philjunior
    Free Member

The Axiom one looks like a better idea to me, I have one with the stand-off arrangement and worry about it prying the bolts out due to the stand off (although to date it hasn’t, it does seem less stiff than ones which aren’t stood off.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just checked the bike and it doesnt have, rear brake mounting hole, so I would need to either fettle it or look for one with the top mounts to the seat stays..

Mmmm might have to try one and see where it goes, watch this space

This also leads to another train of thought, as its just commuting, should I just get a frame bag?

Pannier v Frame bag pro’s and cons..

hopkinsgm

…or look for one with the top mounts to the seat stays…

Axiom rack should come with those too – at least my Axiom Fatliner did. They’re the black rods in the bottom of the pic in Mowgli’s post.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just use a long bolt and a spacer of some sort, much neater solution than the bulky disc racks.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Pannier v Frame bag pro’s and cons..”

You can get a hell of a lot of stuff in a pair of large panniers (Ortlieb Back Roller Classics are 20l each), plus you’ve still got the top of the rack to attach extra stuff if necessary. That may well be overkill, and a frame bag might be sufficient. Panniers are very quick to install and remove though.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Just use a long bolt and a spacer of some sort, much neater solution than the bulky disc racks.

Part of me is thinking that, just need to see how much I can ‘adjust’ the rack…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Might be an option? Not cheap, but lighter than a pannier rack and pannier. Looks like an easy mount/dismount system so less hassle than a frame bag.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Potential Pannier Problems (help/advice required)’ is closed to new replies.