Home Forums Bike Forum Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle

• This topic has 1,826 replies, 447 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,827 total)
  • Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle
  • hot_fiat

Anyone else feel like they’re starting to run low on things? Spares for pedals and small items either seem to be out of stock or entirely missing. For instance they have no DMR pedal axles or bearings, hope minor stock is entirely random, with things like seals completely out of stock. These were items they’d always have in stock, in multiple versions that you could buy at 4pm and have in your hand by midday. 

jonnyboi

I would guess that they aren’t buying much stock, if any, at the moment 

nixie

Yeah lots more showing out of stock now. Hopefully that’ll mean larger discounts being added to a few of the pricier items I’m keeping an eye on 👀.

honourablegeorge

jonnyboi

I would guess that they aren’t buying much stock, if any, at the moment

Suppliers won’t want to sell to them

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

They have already said they aren’t accepting any more goods or paying suppliers. The administrator is as expected quite aggressively liquidating the stock for cash to settle up some of the debts. It is no longer a shop but a liquidation  

if the brand is sold it is going to be very different to what it has been. Nobody is going to pay money to lose millions in good times and worse in the market we are in now. It will just be a brand name, I’m just being realistic here. 

looking at the accounts it appears the millions in loans drawn down to keep them solvent over the years are nothing like what mere mortals like us are used to. They have no payments of capital or interest until the parent company decides to call in the loan to reduce profits/tax. So unlike normal business they can just keep spending without any hit to their monthly outgoings. This has all happened because the parent company has decided to stop pouring money in the hole. 

I think it’s going to be a while till the administrator issues their report. Only then will the public see what really is happening. I’ve been told by people all over the world the actual staff in the U.K. had literally no idea what was happening. 

I’ll say again it took me by surprise too. 

neil SuperstarComponents  

reluctantjumper

They’re fire selling a lot of Nukeproof stuff right now. Just ordered 3 30mm BB’s in silver for the price of one black one, £10 each and cheaper than buying replacement bearings.

I wonder what the Venn diagram of people saying this and the people buying cheap 5.10s & turbo trainers from Evans is.

Haven’t touched Evans since the day he bought it, even just bought some new shoes at nearly RRP (Fox Union Flat, rather good too) rather than the silly-cheap 5.10s. If he gets hold of CRC then that’s another one off the list.

scotroutes

@convert – bars arrived.

nixie

Haven’t touched Evans since the day he bought it

Me neither, they no longer exist as far as my buying is concerned.

I couldn’t give a hoot who owns what, I buy from wherever suits me best

Bezos would probably be on the breadline without my support 🤣

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of boycotting businesses where the guys in the shop will be the only ones loosing out because the owners and management have hundreds of millions acting as a safety blanket

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The administrator is as expected quite aggressively liquidating the stock for cash to settle up some of the debts. It is no longer a shop but a liquidation  

it’s all gone a bit Planet-X

I mean what box in the corner of the warehouse did they kick over and say what’s in this to find these

these are 14 years old

https://www.wiggle.com/p/shimano-dura-ace-di2-cable-set

Big-Bud
    Free Member

@reluctantjumper @nixie based on  what grounds do you boycott Mike Ashley owned stores .

In your own words and try not to fall into the obvious pitfalls when discussing mike Ashley

Then give me a list of shops you happily visit which in your opinion are the mary Poppins of the retail world

fossy

Two wetsuits and Ergon grips have shipped. We’ve a wetsuit that is a bit too ‘short’ for MrsF already (posted last week) but should be able to sell on ebay, or see if it fits my daughter.

coconut
    Free Member

I must stop looking at the Vitus Rapide, it’s just dropped again from £840, to £700. That’s got to be the most bike for the money I have ever seen! (Rockshox Sid, Shimano SLX & 4 pot brakes)

slackboy

I must stop looking at the Vitus Rapide, it’s just dropped again from £840, to £700

thats only £90 more than a pair of SIDs. Must. Stop. Looking.

whyterider93
    Free Member

Trying to convince myself that I do not need a Ragley Marley, but it’s literally cheaper than a new drivetrain that I would otherwise need to buy after winter

roger_mellie

They have already said they aren’t accepting any more goods or paying suppliers

So I can safely close this browser window then?

Screenshot_2023-11-18-19-01-40-48_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643~2

miky2341

It’s Deore not SLX on the Rapide.  I paid £900 for mine and it was a good deal at that money!

markgoldstein
    Free Member

Trying to convince myself that I do not need a Ragley Marley, but it’s literally cheaper than a new drivetrain that I would otherwise need to buy after winter

Me too! The Scout 290 is back in stock, but not sure it’s worth £130 more?

The £299 150mm Lyriks are also back…

kingmod
    Free Member

Vitus Escarpe 290 arrived yesterday. 50% discount on what was already a good value bike. Looks good and comes with full protective frame coverings preinstalled. Seems to have been put together with care and checked properly before dispatch.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

What’s people’s view on their Vitus Zenium road bike? Clearly not a touch on more expensive models but worth considering as a way of getting a leg over a cheap carbon road bike?

I’m on a entry level alloy trek 2nd hand 18yrs back and didn’t know if it would inspire me to ride more.  Or better value through my cycle to work scheme being high rate tax payer?

andy4d

The mention above of 50% off the Escarpe got my interest…………only bloody 25% off for us Irish. Discriminating Feckers.

reluctantjumper

@reluctantjumper @nixie based on what grounds do you boycott Mike Ashley owned stores .

I knew some of the staff at a few Sports Direct stores through my old job and not one of them had a good thing to say about the way the company was/is run.
    From the same job I knew the staff at the local House Of Fraser when he took over that, went from a decent place to work to the same as the above. Staff leaving that had been there 20+ years thanks to the cost cutting and changes to worker’s contracts.
    Any decent brand that falls under his control drops massively in quality and trades on it’s name as long as it can.
    The local Evans lost all it’s decent staff for similar reasons. The ‘delivery charge’ for stuff already in-store if done by click and collect is just a complete pisstake.

Then there is all of this (from Frasers Group wiki):

Between 2013 and 2014, ambulances were dispatched to Sports Direct HQ’s facilities more than 80 times, including one concerning a woman who gave birth in the facility’s bathroom.[33] In October 2015, the chief executive of Sports Direct, David Forsey, was charged with a criminal offence for consultation failures over USC staff who only had 15 minutes notice of redundancy.[34][35] In December 2015, an investigation by The Guardian found that the company fines staff for late clocking on, does not award overtime for late clocking off, relies on zero hour contracts, and regularly makes staff wait unpaid for a security check at the end of shifts. A union official suggested that these practices were illegal as they brought workers’ earnings below the minimum wage. The company responded by saying there were unspecified inaccuracies in the reports.[36] A representative from the charity ShareAction claimed that workers are “jeopardising their health” for fear of being dismissed while another shareholder said the company’s reputation as an employer was “atrocious”.[37]

Late in December 2015 Sports Direct announced a 15 pence per hour increase for staff currently receiving less than minimum wage, taking them above minimum wage,[38] the annual cost of this was said in the announcement to be ~£10 Million (GBP); however it was immediately noted that £0.15p × 37.5 hours × 19,000 staff × 52 weeks = 5,557,500 (~£5.5 million), this and other factors resulted in many (including Unite) calling it a “PR Stunt”.[39] Workers on zero-hours contracts are not included in the rise and neither are those already paid more than minimum wage (management/supervisors etc.) therefore the 19,000 staff above is actually substantially fewer.[40]

A Sports World store in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, 2007
    In August 2016, Sports Direct admitted breaking the law and agreed to disburse unlawfully withheld wages totalling about £1m to the affected workers.[41][42] As of March 2017, some Sports Direct workers were yet to receive backpay for their time worked, because of a disagreement regarding how contracts changing between employment agencies should be handled.[43] In November 2016, six MPs from the Business and Skills Committee visited Sports Direct, and reported that while there, Sports Direct attempted to place them under surveillance.[44] In February 2017, it was reported that Sports Direct had failed to inform its workforce of a data breach of their personal information after an attacker gained access to its internal systems in September 2016. The Information Commissioner’s Office stated it was aware of “an incident from 2016 involving Sports Direct” and would “be making enquiries.”[45]

Are you happy to support a company that screws it’s staff over constantly?

chestrockwell

I must stop looking at the Vitus Rapide, it’s just dropped again from £840, to £700. That’s got to be the most bike for the money I have ever seen! (Rockshox Sid, Shimano SLX & 4 pot brakes)

I’m almost tempted again, even though I bought something else!

Note though that the SID’s are the very base spec with no Charger damper. Put me off a bit as there’s no real info or reviews.

bikesandboots

Noticed quite a few things that appear at a ridiculous price (e.g. shoes or a helmet for £16), click into it and it’s an out of stock size/colour. I wonder if they’ve just got one of something left they’ll floor the price to get rid of it. Or for a mate to pick up.

5lab
    Free Member

I don’t think most of their stuff is particularly cheaper than it would otherwise have been. A few things I’m looking at are a good 30% more than their all time low prices, and they’ve often had some random junk being flogged off at rock bottom prices. Bau.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wonder what the Venn diagram of people saying this and the people buying cheap 5.10s & turbo trainers from Evans is.

👋

My only gripe with Fraser’s is the postage/returns. Why is it often so much cheaper to buy stuff online than in store? And there’s not even a worthwhile ship to store option, it’s the same price and if it doesn’t fit you can’t return it to the store.

I was fine with ordering 3x of something online to make sure it was in the store if I made a trip, and then they could just put the other two back on the shelf.

I doubt the staff T&Cs are any better at CRC than at the Sports Direct warehouse.

jonnyboi

What’s people’s view on their Vitus Zenium road bike?

I picked up the full 105 hydraulic version a few months ago for £1100. The frame is decent but not sure that £750 for 2×10 mechanical disc is a bargain in this market. 

whyterider93
    Free Member

Just ordered a Ragley Marley. Does anyone know if they are coming with Tubeless valves and the rims taped?

a11y

Two Marleys I bought a few weeks ago came with rims taped, with tubeless valves in a box. Haven’t set them up yet as my kids will be a while before they fit them.

Standard tubes are hefty lumps, 300g+ from memory.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

@jonnhyboi. Thanks so much, yeah, to say all the bits are unbranded I feel like the extra for 105 is the better value offering.

I’ll stick with my old jalopy, I kinda like it’s old enough to buy a round in the pub! :)

kelvin

I don’t think most of their stuff is particularly cheaper than it would otherwise have been.

All the big discounts are on house brand stuff… Nukeproof etc… that all looks to be going out at an under cost price.

Saccades
    Free Member

Odd, an order of clothes can be shipped to Europe but a frame and dropper is to the UK only (week difference in ordering).

No info on mech hanger spares, fingers crossed.

Saccades
    Free Member

And if I go via a UK VPN the prices are loads cheaper than via an Irish VPN.

£140 Vs  £292 for a cub scout frame!

5lab
    Free Member

£140 Vs £292 for a cub scout frame!

I think they were £80 back in June. Massive postage costs though

chakaping

What’s people’s view on their Vitus Zenium road bike?

As above, the one they have at the mo is not great.

If the medium or XS would fit you, this would be a much better deal for a little more…

https://www.wiggle.com/p/orro-gold-evo-7000-fsa-r800-road-bike-2023

ahsat

Picked up an Osprey overnight bag I’ve been looking at for a while at 50% off (Evri says it’s coming today). That’ll do thanks. Though p20 just laughed – “you found a bag size you didn’t already own – mind blown!!” 😅

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

chakaping: not great

Thanks. I’m a bit tall and my issue going up to £1k is I’d struggle to justify it with how much time I spend on any kind of bike.

I was tempted to spend £100 upgrading what will be well worn cheap wheels with these…

https://www.wiggle.com/p/prime-baroudeur-alloy-wheelset

… but while online searches show positive reviews even when they were £250 the reviews on this bundle is discouraging….

https://www.wiggle.com/p/prime-baroudeur-tubeless-bundle

stcolin
    Free Member

I ordered some bars for the mmmbop last Wednesday, arrived on Friday. No issues.

Speaking of mmmbops, I know most people are buying frames, but this is a steal: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/ragley-mmmbop-2-0-hardtail-bike-silver

I bought one back in April when they were £1k. £650 is theft! Older geo, but my XL fits me perfectly.

thepodge
    Free Member

For those who think Halfords stepping up is a nice idea… Do we really want cyclists funding the car lobby?

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-26-october-2022-296859#live-blog-item-38897

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,827 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.