Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Plastic Flats for kids.
  • cookeaa

Getting close to finishing my eldests next bike but she’s going to need some new pedals, I’m thinking plastic with screw in pins, but not too pricey.

I’ve not bought ridden flats for a while so would appreciate a knowing steer.
    £20 appears to buy some DMR V6 so I’m treating that as the benchmark for price/performance.

Fire your suggestions at me…. Now!

Yak

Nukeproof or superstar are better than the v6. The v6 wears fast and has less grippy moulded plastic pins, not grub screws.

eg:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-neutron-evo-electron-evo-flat-pedals

kelron
    Free Member

Bit more expensive than they used to be but these are good:

https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=127&p=1770&tb=003

doris
    Free Member

my two have dmr v6’s on their bikes, the pins are moulded in but i dont think that matters to much as they are so light, the kids not the pedals. they run on bushes not bearing and the sealing isnt the greatest but a quick squirt with some lube and they are all good AND you can get them in lots of different colours which is very important :o) so for the price they get a thumbs up

if you wanted replaceable pins the nukeproof ones are pretty good i have some on my hardtail which is mainly commuter miles but feel very grippy but would definitely do more damage to a shin! and cost about £15 more

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Crank Bros, Stamp 1, small size.

Have a pair on each of my kids bikes. They very nice.

cookeaa

AND you can get them in lots of different colours which is very important

This could be the overriding issue TBF.

I’m a little on the fence now I don’t know if screw-in pins are worth the 50% extra TBH.
    She’s not exactly Rad^Gnarr is unlikely to be mashing pedals into the ground often, but replaceable pins do generally make sense to me…

The weight saving might be the biggest bonus with a plastic pedal…

So nobody does a decent plastic pedal with replaceable pins for say ~£25ish then? interesting…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My boy went from the DMR V6 to the Crank Bros.

They’ve only been on a couple of months but there has definitely been a reduction in pedal slaps to the legs. The screw in pins appear to be grippier and offer better foot to pedal security.

My guess is once the pedal slap does happen it will hurt more though.

stwhannah

So nobody does a decent plastic pedal with replaceable pins for say ~£25ish then? interesting…

I haven’t tried them but Nukeproof do a pair for £35 https://nukeproof.com/collections/components-flat-pedals/products/neutron-evo-electron-evo-flat-pedals

Sui
    Free Member

got my kids some cheap chinese ones

£12 a set – they’re really quite good with replaceable pins

Sui
    Free Member

just checked, they no longer have them, instead they now have them, but with a new name and £7 more expensive.

lister

+1 for V6s here.
    The colour choice, performance paired with 5-10s and price point wins for me and the kids.
    Ours have lasted a few years and the pins are still in good nick.

BillOddie

We had a pair of Race Face or DMR (I forget which) plastic pedals with moulded pins.  They were awful. They are significantly slippier than proper pedals with metal pins.  Both kids are now on the plastic nukeproof pedals with metal pins.

The chances of pedal/shin interface is greatly reduced with proper pins.

DezB
    Free Member

What’s happened to pedal prices on ebay!? All the cheapo makes, like Rock Bros, are now £40 – they were around £15 a little while ago. One’s my son has on his bike were £17 now £40! and plastic pedals were around £25 or under? Now £42?! Bonkers.
    Carbon Cycles (Exotic) look like the best bet on Ebay at around £20.

VanHalen

the carbon cycles ones linked just above you post fit this requirement

my kids are on superstar ones and much prefer them to the plastic pin versions they had before

poah
    Free Member

tried some crank bros stamp one pedals and they have crap grip as the pins are not long enough.

Samuel using one up pedals, Sophie using cromag radar youth while Lewis is using burgtec mk4s but again not that grippy. One ups are good as are DMR vaults that you can get in plastic called V11s I think. Do they wear 5:10s or normal shoes?

zerocool

Don’t get the DMR V6. I bought a pair for my kids’ bike and sent them straight back, the molded pins were the weak pint and they’re quite big.

All the plastic pedals were pretty big for a small kid’s feet.

Also they were pretty crappy quality.

I ended up getting a pair of Forward Affix pedals because they had the smaller platform and the pins weren’t that brutal even though their alloy. Seem to work.
    Forward Affix They do the Affix Evo which has replaceable pins for a little more.

cookeaa

TBH I’m half tempted to just buy some cheap alloy pedals, she’s been fine on the cheap wellgo’s on her current bike.

I thought plastics with pins might be a sensibly priced, weight saving option, but the prices seem a bit silly TBH. I can’t believe people will pay £35-40+ for a bit of nylon and some grub screws.

Front runners are probably the exotic jobs, but I could easily score some basic alloy pedals cheaper.

Cheers all.

Yak

Imo the £35 nukeproof one is a decent pedal, regardless of whether it is for a kid or not and is easy to service so you will get years out of it. Check the classifieds too, I am sure I saw someone selling/sold a brand new pair of burgtec composites for £30.

Kahurangi

The Exotic (CarbonCycles) ones have no information. platform size, thickness, weight, nothing. They look like they’ll be really chunky on a child’s bike. (the MRB review states they’re 95x100mm platform, 364g)

I’ve got a pair of Crank Brothers Stamp 1 (small) to try on my bikes but am waiting to receive and fit some longer pins – swapping the M3x10 for M3x12. They’re still adult sized pedals. Nice and thin, smaller platofrm size (when most pedals are going in the MOAR BIGGAR PLATFORMS) direction.

For actual more kid size, maybe try these with Aluminium moulded pins?
    https://earlyrider.com/products/early-rider-platform-pedals?variant=31359581257815

steamtb

Don’t get the Earl rider pedals linked above, they are the only bit we had to swap on my daughters Hellion!

The SDG Slater we put on instead are brilliant and are kid specific. No issues with grip and she does lots of jumping and fast, steep technical trails, including throughout the winter 🙂 For info, daughter is seven and although she has five tens, she also wears various other trainers with no issues.

DezB
    Free Member

Funny about the carboncycles ones (which used to be a budget option, but are now over £55!) (the alloy ones that is) – I bought a pair about 10 years ago and used them loads, then they passed onto my kid on my 575… now he’s a size 9 foot, rides a Remedy and does it all including big jumps with his size 9 feet, still on the Carbon Cycles pedals and has never even mentioned them. Just gets on with it and the pedals are still smooth as they ever were. So even though I paid about £30 for em, I guess £50 would’ve been decent enough value… (their composite ones are the same shape, same axle and bearings as far as I know.)

cookeaa

I did actually find a serviceable pair of these old Tiogas in the Garage over the weekend:

They date from well before I met her Mum, let alone her birth but I think they’re a bit too vicious for any bike in the household now TBH. It would be good if you could replace the cage bits with more a gentle plastic/composite chunk that could accept some M3 pins…

To clarify She’s 11.5 years old now and moving on to 26″ wheels so we’re getting towards ‘small adult’ sized bikes/parts now rather than ‘kids’. She’s also not all that serious about bikes/riding so spending more than about £20-25 on pedals for her would be a bit of a waste TBH…

Perhaps I’m a bit stuck in an old way of thinking about these things: Plastic Pedals used to be the “cheap & crappy” option in terms of materials, manufacture and function, but ever since they were adopted more by BMXers and then MTBerist for their lighter weight Gnarr machines the prices seem to have rocketed, I suppose I’d better get used to the world as it is now…

kelron
    Free Member

Carboncycles plastic – 95mm front to back and 100mm out from the axle. Just measured, smaller than the DMR V6 but bigger than the generic pedals that came on the bike. Dunno about weight, they’re plastic pedals, it’s not going to make much difference even to kids.

Pins and bearings are all replaceable, haven’t needed to replace any pins, there’s some play in one of the pedals after about 4 years regular use and no maintenance.

Alloy ones of the same design seem to have better sealed bearings but I keep losing pins.

BearBack
    Free Member

What foot size are we talking here.
    Small feet and adult pedals won’t work ideally.
    Both my boys sz 36 and 39 are using SDG Slater’s with aftermarket pins as the flat topped standard pins arent quite enough grip for tech. Eldest on clipless aside from his DJ bike.
    I really want to get a larger platform for eldests DH days and the Issi Thump small w/pins looks to be the perfect option. No distro over here though so shipping is cost prohibitive.
    Color options too..

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Last year I bought some HT components PA12 flats for my do it all hybrid.
    They don’t have replaceable pins but decent wide platform and were £20 .

VanHalen

the carbon cycles ones are the same as the superstar plastics and the nukeproof neutrons. thin and light enough.

i had a set on my ht for about 3 years and they were still going strong when it was stolen.

girls are 9 and 12 and are way happier than the crappy plastic pin pedals.

Yetiman
    Free Member

These just arrived today for my daughters bike. From eBay, £19.90 posted. They seem well made, feel relatively light (440g on the kitchen scales) and came with three spare pins. Size wise they are 110mm wide and 115mm front to back.

BillOddie

Size wise they are 110mm wide and 115mm front to back.

That’s a big pedal!  That’s bigger than DMR Vaults which seem to be the right size for my Size 9.5 feet.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yeah they are a decent size. She has my old Vaults on the bike at the moment and is getting on ok with them (size 7 feet and growing) so hopefully these will be ok for her.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Plastic Flats for kids.’ is closed to new replies.