Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Planet X Pro Carbon Rival
  • Kryton57

Yes I know, and even my patience is wearing thin but…

…anyone got one / an opinion on it as a generic DIY Carbon roadbike?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FBPXPRORIV12/planet_x_pro_carbon_rival_road_bike_2012

Ta

chojin
    Free Member

I have the Ultegra version – cracking bike.
    Soaks up the small bumps quite nicely, fast and (relatively) comfortable.

cp

not the first time that I’ve seen PX leave the saddles at weird angles for a photo shoot!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I used to have one with ultegra bits on it. Nice bike, pretty comfy, climbed like a demon. Those wheels are ok for the money, but I would sell them straight away and get some lightweight hand builts.

cynic-al
    Free Member

this is as an upgrade from your 1.5?

Kryton57

cynic-al – Member
    this is as an upgrade from your 1.5?

[feeblevoicemode] Yes…. you’re going to tell me its not aren’t you……[/feeblevoicemode]

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t know. As I keep saying I don’t see why you want to “upgrade” without spending much more than your existing bike cost.

you’ll make retailer happy tho.

Kryton57

cynic-al, you hint at very good point. I’m trying to get what I want without spending too much money, becuase shortly Kryton jnr no2 will arrive and Mrs Kryton will stop work. I don’t want to over-commit us.

You’ll be no doubt thinking the same as Mrs Kryton said to me earlier; wait and/or save up until I can afford the bike I really want and accept that an upgrade is an upgrade and therefore costs money for a reason – at a later date.

You’re probably both right as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are so Jones-ing.

Listen to her, she’s right, your 1.5 is a good bike, if you buy something now it might be a little better, but you’ll probably still want to upgrade again when you can afford to.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I bought a planet x pro sl carbon ultegra a couple of years ago for £999 and its been great. Just bought a cannondale supersix hi-mod frame on the ebay for £600 though so I would say go second hand. with my groupset and bars and bits on it the supersix would cost £2999 new, the frame is spotless and the parts have only my use so far. I think if you try hard you can find a bargain. planet x are selling the rival group set for £119 and the frame for £299. not sure where the rest of the money goes when the wheels are £130. thats £450 for bars, stem, seat post, saddle, tyres and tubes right?

TeaBoyPaul

quote “planet x are selling the rival group set for £119”

No they aren’t! They are selling the rear mech, the cassette and a chain for £119… no shifters, front mech, calipers or chainset in that…

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

ah, really, I just blew a bunch of cash on not the best bargain ever…… oops. sorry for the misinformation. I now need to spen another bunch of cash to get the planet x on the road for the mrs. genuinely gutted re: the small print. thanks for the headsup though TeaBoyPaul.

Boy do I feel sheepish…..

How is that marketed as a group set?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You may aswell spend a couple of hundred more and just get one of the canyons like. You get better wheels and finishing kit on it for starters (no cheapo boat anchor seatposts/stems/bars/saddles etc.) and its a top drawer alu frame and forks thats worth chucking money at in the future.

Planet x/Ribble are good if you just want a decent bike for a grand and thats it. If you like spending money on upgrades (like it sounds like you do) then you may aswell get a decent frame/forks to start with.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2506

TeaBoyPaul

The graphics on those Canyons ruin them for me… seriously nasty!

Kryton57

Good spot David, and thats the same frame /seatpost that got reviewed so well versus Carbon in C+ bike of the year recently. I also had one eye on this:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b4s6p3604

Nevertheless I had to sleep on it. Cynic-al (and Mrs Kryton) are right. I’ve convinced myself the Trek is rubbish, don’t know why really, probably in an effort to convince myself I “need” a new bike.

Canyons (and bike Sales) will always be there, so when issues of Jnr 2’s arrival & maternity pay etc is over I can have another look.

Sigh…

wwaswas

I still think you just need to get some better wheels on the Trek 😉

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    I still think you just need to get some better wheels on the Trek

Help!!!

(Should I experiment with those superstars? ^^ 😀 )

jota180
    Free Member

I got the Planet-X Grande Fondo [or something] Rival a couple of weeks ago

It’s nice enough and lightish, I’ve played around with the bars, saddle etc. and changed the stem to get it feeling right for me and it feels very good now. Still not sure I like SRAM shifters though

But, I can’t really put my finger on it but it just feels like a combination of parts rather than a single entity
    Maybe it’s just me? – It does what I want so no real complaints

Would I get another? – no
    I sort of wish I’d gone for the 105 CAAD10 for a grand instead

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Pro Carbon Rival’ is closed to new replies.