• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 18 posts - 1,761 through 1,778 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • waldner
    Free Member

It’s basically the same frame as 2020 with the seat stay bridge added back in, sizing changed a bit but the M-L-XL are pretty much the same adding XS and S to cover the womens bikes. Can’t help on geometry sorry – the same as before on the main dimensions, handling etc but I don’t have the charts now.

Thanks James 👍👍 I’ll probably order one to collect in store (Leeds Central) once in stock, and check it there, although have emailed them to ask if they can provide the Geometry. Sounds like it will be similar which is important as struggling to find Gravel bikes with threaded BB, Mudguard mounts, stack/reach, tallish headtube like the Arkose I Have (2018 model 1)
    I like the 3 as prefer the higher end gearing for flat roads.

moonboy
    Free Member

I’m just about to buy some Hunt wheels for my 2018 Arkose 4 (the yellow one)

SRAM Rival 1*11, can someone just hold my hand and confirm that it’s NOT an XD hub and I want to click the 8/9/10/11 shimano/sram hub.

Is that right?

moonboy
    Free Member

I think I’ve answered my own question, 11 tooth not 10 tooth so that’s not XD

jameso

11 tooth not 10 tooth so that’s not XD

Correct

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Hello all, has anyone changed the bearings in a 2019 Arkose X by any chance? And if so, what were they?

I think I’m right that they’re 6902 jobbies but the description on Novatec website is a bit opaque.

@jameso
    perhaps you could tell me?

All best,

Jimmy

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Oh dear lord, ignore me – it really isn’t opaque. I’m just a dad of two kids 🙄

As you were.

waldner
    Free Member

I’m considering fitting a 9 speed trekking chainset to my Arkose 1 (2018 model) which is Shimano Sora.

Can this work? I have read that Shimano 9 speed pull ratios for road and MTB are still compatible.

So the idea would be to get a Shimano FC-T4060 (48-36-26) Chainset, a triple FD (Alivio T4060 to go with the chainset) and Triple left Sora Shifter to make the switch. The Sora RD has a capacity of 43T so I should be able to get an 11-32 cassette to fit.

Thanks in advance

moonboy
    Free Member

Arkose crew, I need your help

I have self diagnosed* that I need to replace the fork on my 2018 Arkose 4 (medium) (the yellow one 1*11, carbon fork).

I’ve found on ebay an Arkose carbon fork here,
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185104124524?hash=item2b1910ca6c:g:tu4AAOSw8QNhZpzt
    The guy seems genuine, had a couple of messages and there is a deal to be done.

The only thing is, it was for a small frame not a medium. Does that matter?

Alternatively, would someone please point me to wherever on the web I can buy a compatible fork that would do the job.

If that ebay fork is the same size for small and medium then I am thinking I should just buy it but don’t want to spank £100+ on something that isn’t right and might be hard to sell on.

I really like my Arkose, want to keep it in good health.

What say you, learned friends?

*symptoms: Front brake constantly going out of trim and rubbing. As I tighten the axel I can feel play in the placement of the wheel – push it in, loads of rub, pull it out no rub. Then as riding even with the maxle tightened up, it moves (I guess over a bump) and we’re back to rubbing again. I’ve changed the wheel axle end caps, changed brake discs, changed axle, checked for sticky pistons, changed bolts mounting the brake, filed down the brake pads a bit… spent a lot of time and effort and can’t seem to fix the problem. So am thinking now the fork has rounded a bit, hence the bit of movement. But I am very happy to be told otherwise. Interestingly, the problem doesn’t happen on the original Arkose rims and discs but does with (more than one) set of hunt 4 seasons.

ampthill

The only thing that changes on a fork with frame size is steerer length. Easy enough to measure easy enough to cut down. There are loads of suitable forks on the market

Can you feel the axle move in the fork when the wheel moves? Everything you’ve said makes it sound like to the wheel.

PS I think that fork is flat mount. Is that what you want?

moonboy
    Free Member

thank you – that’s mega helpful.

Yeah I know what you mean, I’ve been convinced it was the wheel but I feel like I’ve tried so many different things, kinda losing patience with it but don’t want to shell out £400+ for decent wheelset.

Yes flat mount, that’s the current set up, thanks for asking tho:-)

teamslug
    Free Member

After my post last week regarding converting my hard tail into a monster cross and the general consensus that the top tube was far too long to make work I’ve been looking at getting a gravel bike for commuting and steady long days out. Budget will be 1.8k max. Liking the Arkose 4 but also the Nukeproof Digger, looks like the kind of thing I’m after too. Any thoughts, I know lots on here have Arkose but does anyone have experience with the Digger? Would be comp model. Thanks

luv2ride
    Free Member

Can’t speak about the Digger but have had two Arkose bikes. Current one is the Arkose X 1x Rival model from a couple of years back. Running 50mm x 650b Cinturato’s. Upgraded over time with Absolute Black oval chainring, Redshift 80mm stem, Ritchey Beacon bars and Redshift drop grips. Also some lighter Token wheels. I love it.

Sometimes think I should perhaps try another gravel bike just to compare, but the Arkose seems to do everything I need pretty well.

easily
    Free Member

I’m into my fourth year of Arkose ownership, and I’m still happy with it.

I have the 2×11 version – like luv2ride I’ve put Richie Beacons on, Nukeproof Neutrons, and at the moment I’m using 700×40 nanos (though I might go back to Vittoria Revolutions when I’ve worn these out) and al edge mudguards which will come off in the summer – they were a bit of a pain to fit, my only complaint.

It’s a great all-rounder. I ride it fast(ish … I’m never fast) on the road on the way to work and mess around in the woods on the way home. I’ve packed it with bags for overnight trips, and stripped it right back for riding trails.

I don’t think I’ve ever got more bike for the money.

moonboy
    Free Member

Update on my ‘fork’ issue above.

It was the wheels. It was 100% user error. I’d fitted 15mm adaptors not 12mm. Put the right ones in and all back to normal.

I am an idiot.

Anyway, echo post above, I’ve had my Arkose 4 for 3 years now and it’s been my most used bike. Supercommuter and winter road bike, then summer gravel adventures too.

teamslug
    Free Member

Called at the new Evans Cycles in Barnsley today to have a look at the Arkose. Nice big store and the mechanic took me thru the store room into a massive dead space at the back of the store, they could put a small oval track in it. Had a ride round on one, felt really nice and fit was good, I’m off back tomorrow to order one.

ampthill

I think the Arkose kind of works. I’m sure a huge budget would bring more. But when I ride mine it just seems to work. It’s evolved to lower gears, 2 sets of wheels and a wider fork. The new one wouldn’t need the wider fork.

The 650b thing works better than I expected

jimdubleyou

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Anybody know off hand what the frame warranty was on Arkose mk1 (circa 2015)?

Mine just separated it’s seat tube from the bottom bracket (at the weld) 🙁

plumble
    Free Member

Has anyone been able to safely fit a 180mm disc rotor on a 2018 Arkose?

To mine bikepacking recently and discovered that they could stop on downhills when loaded and my rotors overheated to the point of discoloration.

In context, the load in the bike was approx 140kg excluding the bike(Aromose 4 2018). It ended up being quite dangerous in places, lots of hill on Purbeck.

Sram even advise 180mm for my weight when gravel riding.

Thanks for any help.

Viewing 18 posts - 1,761 through 1,778 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.