• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • D0NK

If the CDF is owt like the day one then it’ll be comfy, sorted geometry, tough as old boots (tho still not VW golf proof) but weigh a bastid tonne. Since got a kinesis which is almost the same geometry, lighter but not as comfy and probably not as tough at shrugging off rock/crash* damage.

I had problems with stem creep but I was running the steerer full length, once chopped and the stem bung and stem both tightened up properly (and the bung in the right place, aligned with the stem) it all seems ok.

Arkose 2 looks nice, felt light too, but I read somewhere (can’t remember where maybe a label on the bike in the shop – not on the evans website) they state the gearing is just enough and the shifter is a little out of the way so you only shift when you really need to so you can concentrate on the ride, which sounded like marketing spin BS of on-one levels. The shifter is there so you can spec full hydro brakes which is fair enough.

edit found it ”1×10 gearing is enough for most places, or all with a bit of added challenge thrown in and the bar-end shifter may encourage you to click the gears less and just ride.”

*more the bike falling over onto something pointy rather than running it into a wall.

ahwiles
    Free Member

fyi y’all, there’s nothing wrong with new-style* sora, it’s bombproof.

(*proper sti, no thumb button)

the CDF is heavy, but there’s a lot, sorry, (clears throat) A LOT, of weight in the wheels, which are apparently indestructible.

iainc

2014 Croix De Fer is a bit lighter than it’s predecesor, partly due lighter wheels

jameso

Notes
    Continue with green Arkoses 2015, swap out the matt black or the cyan one
    Copy to be more obviously not very serious, been compared to on-one so doing something right, or wrong, tbc
    Steel bikes or +200g in a set of wheels still seen as heavy

Ta

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Akira – hadn’t spotted that it was a single ringer, cheers. I think I was drawn in by the colour…
    If the Arkose 3 had been available in that green, I probably would have gone for one.

….as shallow as that sounds.

Pretty much the same here, love the green but not really taken by the silver although will end up ordering one sooner than later

Jamie
    Free Member

Notes
    Continue with green Arkoses 2015, swap out the matt black or the cyan one
    Copy to be more obviously not very serious, been compared to on-one so doing something right, or wrong, tbc
    Steel bikes or +200g in a set of wheels still seen as heavy

Ta

I’ve read that several times now, and still trying to work out what it is I am reading. Is it mardy, or am I reading it wrong? Maybe I am just tired.

monkeychild
    Free Member

That arkose 3 is up there on my list for commuting duties and exploring. The green needs to happen in that model!!!

jameso

Jamie, not meant that way at all sorry.
    Read as – more colours for next year and that’s good imo; a well-meaning backhanded compliment to what on-one do; the CDFs frame/wheel weight rep still suprises me a little but nothing more than that.

Long day here. CNY coming up and a lot of stuff to do by end of today (ie a good few hrs ago our time and an early morning for me).

The green needs to happen in that model!!!

It should do, been hearing that from staff too.

Jamie
    Free Member

No worries, James, I thought I had read it wrong.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just to add to this there is now the On one Ti cross bike. Just acquired one and it is great.

D0NK

been compared to on-one so doing something right, or wrong, tbc

wrong in this case 😉 o-o do some stuff very well, I own a few of their products, but some of their marketing waffle is highly dubious imho.

Rereading it, it doesn’t seem actually as bad as I first thought and as I said I do like the look of the bike as a package….and the colour 🙂

jameso

You’re right D0NK, the #1 reason for a bar-end was the hydro brakes and the hydros were because we wanted a simple low maintenance option in the range, I like the basics and 1x gearing approach so it all went together and made some sort of sense. Then we have to write something about it.

We don’t employ copywriters, but sometimes forget the perspective of a SSer or bike-geek rider and many customers (or how we present the brand and the Evans site) is a bit different. But better to say it as we see it than get someone in to talk about how ‘Our passion for riding is in everything we do, you can feel it the first time you turn a pedal. Here at Pinnacle, we Believe.’ etc as taken off a deli sarnie wrapper or a smoothie, creating our ‘brand language’ and so on.
    I think ‘cut and paste’ is in there somewhere too, but it makes sense to me, honest. I like how Guy Kesteven writes, it’s descriptive and when it doesn’t always make sense, I get the impression he’s waving his hands about and being animated about what he’s saying, enthusiastic. But I know some just don’t like it. Sram’s press releases can be brilliant, not to be taken seriously at all. Fine line between marketing OTTness and engaging, waffle and dull? (I’m waffling now but brand stuff like this interests me)

Jamie
    Free Member

‘Our passion for riding is in everything we do, you can feel it the first time you turn a pedal. Here at Pinnacle, we Believe.’

I don’t know what you’re selling, but I’ll take 3.

D0NK

about 14months ago I was looking for a hydro cx bike I was going to run SS, couldn’t find one for a reasonable price. Just decided I’ll give gears a go and can’t afford di2 or sram red, plus I kinda like the dial-able pad clearance/set up of BB7s so will be sticking with those for a while. But if timing had been different I’d being having a proper look at that 2.

You guys thinking about belt drives at all? CX belt drive SSer with full guards and hydro discs would probably be my ideal commuter.
    /moononastick

jameso

There’s more to come in the Arkose range along those lines. Belts are something I’ve had samples done and got a dropout for but to do it properly, price and other hassles make it less appealing than a chain at £200-odd less. Changing ratios etc for starters, that’s where it falls flat for me, a SS should be easy to adapt and CX bikes can be used so many ways. Maybe I’m wrong, would be happy to see a SS version do well enough to try a belt bike.

D0NK

TBH I was hoping belt drive with hub gears would have taken off enough by now that I could get the frame and parts for SS easily enough. I dunno, the inherent drag in the system may not be worth it and I’ve heard conflicting reports about mud performance. Still pretty niche at the moment 🙁

SSBonty
    Free Member

Sorry for thread resurrection – anyone able to provide tyre clearance info on the frame (especially the 2012 half price Arkose3 frame only on sale at evans)? Can it run monstercross sized tyres (35-50mm) without miudguards, and what’s the max tyre size with mudguards on?

Thanks!

faustus

I have a 40c commuter tyre in there with plenty more room – no mudguard. Reckon you could get close to 50mm if the edges of the tyre aren’t too knobbly…

alangrozier
    Free Member

Got an arkose 2 a few weeks ago from evans and have to say I love that bike, coming from a cheap road bike this bike is a total revelation handles great on the road and towpaths that ive been on and the 1×10 drivetrain is fine for most of the riding ive done

Jamie
    Free Member

Welcome to the forum, Alan.

The Arkose 2 looked a nice little bike. How you do find the microshifter? Looks a neat way of running 1×10 and having the hydros.

iainc

I reckon the Arkose 4 will set a 2015 benchmark…

Bregante

I was in Evans (Chill Factore) today and one of the staff members wheeled out what I thinkwas one of the bright green Arkose 3 2015 range. I was in a rush so couldn’t take a closer look but from what I saw it looked very nice.

Jamie
    Free Member

I reckon the Arkose 4 will set a 2015 benchmark…

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, going to be matt cyan.

I have mailed jameso for more info, but no reply. Either ignoring me, or on holibobs.

iainc

Jamie, I think he should give you and me test ones to write up for STW given our pro Pinnacle posts over the last year, especially seeing as we actually bought other brands but still hankered 😀

sv

Include me in the test riders 🙂

alangrozier
    Free Member

Welcome to the forum, Alan.

The Arkose 2 looked a nice little bike. How you do find the microshifter? Looks a neat way of running 1×10 and having the hydros.

thanks jamie
    regarding the micro shifter i have absolutely no problems with it infact i quite like where its situated

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I was in Evans (Chill Factore) today and one of the staff members wheeled out what I thinkwas one of the bright green Arkose 3 2015 range

might go over and take a look myself tonight on my way back into work. I’m very very interested in the 2015 arkose 4 too…

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ve also got an arkose two with the microshift and it seems like a great set up. Shifting is spot on, the top guide on the front works well and I haven’t dropped any chains yet despite clattering down some local mtb runs. The brakes are excellent with plenty of modulation and the frame seems plenty stiff for my 99kg bulk when standing up mashing the pedals. The gearing range also seems perfect with plenty of speed on the roads for me and an easy enough hill climb gear, to the point where I don’t really see why anyone would run a cyclocross bike with a double up front.

All in it’s a great bike. Only minor quibble being that the wheel skewers are cr@p but they’re easily changed.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, I think he should give you and me test ones to write up for STW given our pro Pinnacle posts over the last year, especially seeing as we actually bought other brands but still hankered

I think this is a really good idea.

Not that I am biased, or have a vested interest, of course.

*coughs*

iainc

Jamie – Freeloader!

Jamie, I think he should give you and me test ones to write up for STW given our pro Pinnacle posts over the last year, especially seeing as we actually bought other brands but still hankered

I think this is a really good idea.

Not that I am biased, or have a vested interest, of course.

*coughs*

yep, me too 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

So we’re agreed? Pinnacle/Evans are going to do this?

That is very kind of them.

😀

alangrozier
    Free Member

anyone swapped the tyres out yet?
    if so any recommendations

sv

Jamie – Freeloader!
    So we’re agreed? Pinnacle/Evans are going to do this?
    That is very kind of them.

When do the bikes ship? I’m a large and the Arkose 2 would be fine.

ackie
    Free Member

I saw a bright Orange Single speed Arkose the other day. Look very nice with eccentric bottom bracket taking care of chain tension. Ideal commuter methinks.

Jamie
    Free Member

I saw a bright Orange Single speed Arkose the other day. Look very nice with eccentric bottom bracket taking care of chain tension. Ideal commuter methinks.

This one?

ackie
    Free Member

Yes that one! Were you the bloke on the train station…

MoreCashThanDash

Ok, that’s the next C2W sorted….

alangrozier – I replaced my small block 8 tyres for Sammy Slicks. When the SB8s got about half worn they seemed to get very puncture prone

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes that one! Were you the bloke on the train station…

I was at a train station today, but I am not that guy.

Pic comes from here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/67338272@N05/ …scroll down to see more.

Linked by this guy: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2015-giant-tcx-slr-mutterings/page/3#post-6260364

Clink

Is that ss version using an ebb? Is it a prototype or production (trying to hide excitement 😀 )?

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s production. Although road.cc info on the colours seems to suggest that lovely orange won’t make it to the market 😥

Finally, if you want an Arkose without the complexity of gears, they offer the Arkose SS. Yes, it’s a singlespeed. It costs £800 and uses TRP Hylex hydraulic disc brakes with a 38×17 drivetrain and a singlespeed-specific sealed bearing rear hub. 40mm WTB Nano tyres on TLR rims and a choice of two colours, Splatter Lime or Black on Khaki Matt.

Sauce.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.