Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Phone not connecting to network – any suggestions?
  • scruff9252

I think I may have gubbed my phone – On wed I dropped it in water for a split second. Battery out and left phone on a towel on a warm rad at home for 48 hours.

On Fri turned phone back on and all OK (phone genuinely only in tap water for a spit second, not fully submerged)

Yesterday evening and today the phone refuses to connect to the mobile phone network. Everything else works fine on wifi, camera fine, sound ok, makes internet VoIP calls etc.

However just get a warning triangle top left Saying “Selected service (3) unavailable”. I can however make emergency calls only (not tried as I suspect 999 call handler would not be happy doing a phone check…)

Tried a network reset, manually selecting network, factory reset and also a hard re-set. All to no avail.

HOWEVER, with the phone in my pocket today out walking, on multiple random occasions, the phone connected to the network for enough time for emails to be received and facebook notifications to come through.

As such, I’m not convinced the phone is actually properly broken.

Any suggestions to try to attempt to get phone reception? Annoyingly I need to receive a text tomorrow morning for my work VPN so I can work from home, if not I’ll have to try & go into the office…

Phone is a 5 week old Moto G5 android fwiw.

scotroutes

Water in the SIM card socket? Have you taken it out and let that air enough before replacing it?

Possibly try another SIM too.

tthew

As it connected briefly when outside, which would presumably result in a higher signal strength, perhaps the dropping of it has dislodged the aerial connection. Nothing to do with the water. In which case you’ll have to try and dismantle to look for the issue. There’s probably instructions on YouTube.

Poopscoop

Personally I would remove the battery again and give it more time to dry out.

Not much else you personally* can do to be honest.

*unless you want to strip the mobile down which I would recommend.

johnners
    Free Member

As above, maybe the mast local to your gaff is having problems. Have you another provider’s SIM you can try?

jimdubleyou

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere, I would get somebody to strip it down and take have a look.

That said, Three have had some issues near us recently where their 4G signal has been dropping out but the 3G has been fine – maybe worth turning off 4G for a bit to see if the 3G still works.

Poopscoop

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere, I would get somebody to strip it down and take have a look.

That said, Three have had some issues near us recently where their 4G signal has been dropping out but the 3G has been fine – maybe worth turning off 4G for a bit to see if the 3G still works.

Barring physical damage from a drop a true short circuit is unlikely.

If water is acting as a “short circuit” then best to just leave mobile of and leave to dry for longer.

Perhaps cause some airflow with a hair dryer left blowing over it too, on a cool setting!!

scruff9252

Thanks all. Phone is now off, battery & sim out and back on the radiator.

Fingers crossed it works again in the morning…

dirtyboy

Could be a network issue because of snow affecting microwave link’s currently.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Phone not connecting to network – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.