Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • peugeot 307 – your thoughts please
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Going to see a 2nd hand Peugeot 307, 30k, £3000, 1.6

Any experiences to share that wud be useful for me to know?

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have had for the last 15 months a 56 plate 307 1.6HDi. I was sceptical at first but am actually pleased so far, fits a full load of luggage 2 kids and adults fine as plenty of head room too for a family hatch , went to Highlands last year in it with no problems. Used a roof rack for bike duties also no probs but could easily fit a bike in the back with rear seat down.

Gearbox is not the most refined , tracking can be knocked out easily with all these pot holes around on our roads. Not sure about petrol models as i have diesel, 58-62 mpg average on combined roads for me.

I have heard all the stuff about french cars etc etc but as i said no probs so far, wife also has mostly Renaults again with no faults other than wear tear items . So dont believe all the french car haters out there.

Sandwich

More a problem with the dealers round our way than the cars.

P20

From my experience, avoid like the plague. I had a 53 2.0hdi estate. Absolute money pit. I spent about £2k in 18months repairing various things before I had enough. Good to drive, loved the panoramic roof, but was sick of repairing it.

BlobOnAStick

I’m happy with ours (307SW 1.6HDI)

Had it for 2 years, no big problems – +1 for the tracking being knocked out of alignment.

I find the accomodation very versatile – family camping, cycling, sailing, trips to the tip and running the kids around all weekend. It’s our only car and we haven’t had need for anything bigger, yet it feels small enough to throw around town.

I suppose the only criticism I have is the aircon/heater control. It’s quite unrefined to be honest. It seems to me that you need to have the de-mist on constantly to keep the screen clear in cooler weather, and the temp control doesn’t work as well when this is on.

Ben

tinribz
    Free Member

Another SW 1.6D here, big enough to fit 3 bikes and 2 kids inside but doesnt feel like your driving a bus. Taken it to the Alps and back a couple of times.

Must have done over 40k personally (about 60 something on the clock) and only been in the garage once for some front shock issue. 55mpg but don’t expect to burn any rubber at the lights.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I like Peugeots, would love the newer one than my 1999 406 with the old-type oil burner.

andyl
    Free Member

http://www.crushmy307.co.uk/

They have been plagued by unreliability. I have 2 306s (1.6 petrol and 2.0 HDI) as I know the 306 like the back of my hand. The 307 is a lot more modern but has got a very bad rep. TBH I think a lot of it is due to the type of owner and the current standards. Back when cars like the 306 were new you expected problems and the cars were not as technical. Now the people who own a 306 are more likely to be into DIY repairs.

In contrast the 307 was up against lots of german and japanese cars and the owners are not the type to work on them.

Mum has a 1.4 petrol and it recently cost her £700 for the MOT (gulp) due to little things like the indicator stalk (common fault) and exhaust which she had to get done at a garage as she didn’t mention them to me when she was down here on holiday.

The HDI engines do have dual mass fly wheel problems – I think you can replace them with normal type. Back when the HDI came out a lot of people feared them due to the high parts cost but there is nothing on HDI I can’t fix for very little by shopping around or getting used parts.

The fly wheel and any DPF stuff would be the things I checkout most on a car I was interest in (the peugeots have a chemical that is added to the fuel to burn off DPF deposits).

bigbloke
    Free Member

Dual mass flywheels are on 110 bhp not the 90 bhp models.

Also the DPF is on the 110 bhp models not 90 bhp.

Tax is lower on the 90 bhp models also. £90 per year.

Oh and all the above info is the HDi models , no idea about petrol.

deep_river
    Free Member

Excellent untill i found out last week, that the gearbox had gone in mine (307SW).

Its only done 45k miles and is gonna cost £650 for a new reconditioned gearbox!

andyl
    Free Member

Maybe get the 90hp and get it remapped then!

Trekster

Son has just got rid of his due to all of the above issues. Luckily he knows an independant Pug/Citreon mech and did not pay dealer prices to have stuff done. Got rid due to recurring electrical problems and the likelihood of a big bill for a new clutch looming 🙄
    Having said that what modern car does not have a built in issue?
    Whatever car you might look at purchasing just google ******* faults or owners clubs, amazing what pops up…………..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘peugeot 307 – your thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.