Home Forums Bike Forum Perfect gravel outer shorts?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Perfect gravel outer shorts?
    didnthurt

Why does it seem so hard to make a good outer short that is perfect for gravel/touring/commuting/mtb/pub?

There is plenty of gravel type outer shorts about but they either are too baggy, especially at the bottom of the leg, are too short, too pricey or have unusable pockets. Or are some odd colour, not conducive with all year roud uk riding, shorts should be black or dark grey or dark blue at a push IMO.

My current favourite shorts that I’ve had a for few years (and are showing their age now) are Gore Explore shorts. But these aren’t perfect either, and have been discontinued now, with no direct replacement in Gore’s range.

What gravel outer shorts – with close tapered leg fit – are people wearing, that don’t cost >£100?

nixie

Endura singletrack light in the shorter leg version.

wait4me

https://www.assosoutlet.com/gb/trail-cargo-shorts-t3-93664.html

These if you’re very small or very big. Bought a couple of pairs when they had greater stock. Best shorts I’ve used.

abingham

Assos Trail Cargo shorts are my go to. Super light, great fit that’s somewhere between bibshorts and baggies, and just very comfortable.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sportful Giaras are really great.

Sportful Giara Overshorts

didnthurt

Those Assos shorts seem to sold out in normal person sizes, they do look interesting but not convinced they’ll stay up without a fastner, especially when wet and with anything in the pockets. Thanks for the link though as I’d not seen them.

iainc

i have a couple of pairs of Rapha ones, and also some Castelli.  All slim fitting gravel perfect, all bought in the sales at well under £100.

Have a pair of Endura gv500 ones that fit the bill too, and were reasonably priced.  I don’t wear them though as they don’t match my bikes :)

didnthurt

What’s the sizing like on those Sportful ones? According to their guide I’d be a small (my waist is 31/32″), but don’t 100% trust Italian sizing.

scotroutes

I still have a pair of Kalf shorts that would be ideal if they were still making them. Lightweight, stretchy, comfy. TBH I don’t wear them much for gravel riding as I find lycra is usually ok on its own.

didnthurt

Although I’ve been burnt numerous times by Endura products in the past, from their sporadic sizing, quality control & poor design but at £30 a pair, the bargain hunter in me is maybe willing to give them a go.

What’s the sizing like on Endura Singletrack light? According to Endura, I’d be a small (my waist is 31/32″).

wait4me

Those Assos shorts seem to sold out in normal person sizes, they do look interesting but not convinced they’ll stay up without a fastner, especially when wet and with anything in the pockets. Thanks for the link though as I’d not seen them

I tend to wear cargo bibs underneath and store whatever I need in them. They’re pretty good at staying in place; I might need to hoik them up once on a three hour ride but generally they stay in place. They’re very comfortable, you don’t really know they’re there and certainly look good on and off the bike. Hopefully they’re still making them (and putting them in the sale) for when I wear mine out.

SirHC

Rapha Lightweight or fast and light shorts get my vote.

jimdubleyou

Fox Ranger seem to work for me, I have a pair of the Rapha explore shorts but they were in the sale so don’t meet your colour requirements :)

citizenlee
    Free Member

I was going to do the usual of recommending my own (Dare 2b Adhere Shorts) as they would have probably ticked your boxes, but it turns out they don’t make them any more.

What about something from Madison, like the Flux or FreeWheel?

james-rennie

Decathlon’s ‘fitted rockrider shorts’ are good for me, gravel & commuting. Cheap too around £35

intheborders
    Free Member

Endura singletrack light in the shorter leg version.

+1 I use these also for bikepacking as very light but also dry really quickly.

What’s the sizing like on Endura Singletrack light? According to Endura, I’d be a small (my waist is 31/32″).

Based on my large ones, which are loose I’d go medium.

didnthurt

I’ll give the Decathlon ones a look, and at least I’ll be able to try on before buying. Not 100% sure about the dangling pocket at the back, but looks like it can be removed.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fitted-mtb-shorts-rockrider-race-black/_/R-p-332411

Just in case people think I’m been picky (I am really), these shorts for example don’t even have pockets on the front, in the regular places, WTAF!

Jary Gravel Shorts

I did quite like the look of these Endura GV500 ones but immediately dismissed them for being Endura, anyone tried them?

https://www.endurasport.com/gv500-foyle-shorts-olive-green/12923521.html

nixie

I’m a 33″ waist and have mediums.

didnthurt

The Stolen Goat ones look pretty good, but they still look a liitle too baggy and are not that tapered in the leg. Anyone got a pair?

Mens Anthracite Gravel Shorts

zilog6128

The Stolen Goat ones look pretty good, but they still look a liitle too baggy and are not that tapered in the leg. Anyone got a pair?

they don’t taper.

The Chapeau ones do a bit (they flap around at my knee a lot less than SG), fit me better anyway, IMO look better, and are a total bargain right now @ £32 in their sale!

https://chapeau.cc/gravel-shorts-phantom-cc1636.html

prezet
    Free Member

As someone else mentioned the Rapha trail fast and light shorts – been using them for a while now as an over short to bibs and absolutely perfect for gravel https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-trail-fast-light-shorts/product/TAD01XX

They’re stretchy and have a tapered, slim cut.

cookeaa

I bought a pair of Endura ‘Foyle’ in the sales before Christmas and they’ve been OK, TBH I don’t tend to use them on my gravel bike as I tend to just ride that in bibs, I’ve been using them as lightweight MTB baggies mostly (same difference IMO)

They’re less flappy with a bit of stretch, a couple of zipped vents and are shower proof I think (water resistant rather than ‘water proof’) they’ve been good in the hotter weather.

Sizing seemed about right for once with Endura, I’m about a 34″ waist and I opted for whatever the chart said and they actually fit. Time will tell if they’re normal Endura levels of durability.

But for the ~£20 I paid they seem OK and would suit Gravel/touring use I reckon.

iainc

I did quite like the look of these Endura GV500 ones but immediately dismissed them for being Endura, anyone tried them?

yes, I mentioned them earlier, have a brand new pair in olive green in medium if you want them, £40 posted.

allyharp

I ride in overshorts for nearly every road ride, so have something to add here.  And I feel like there used to be better options than what I’m aware of now.

The old and discontinued:

• Kalf Terra: The absolute best, as mentioned above.  Sleek cut, thin and stretchy fabric.  Well positioned minimal pockets.  Impressively durable given the years I’ve had them.
    • Rapha Touring Shorts: Slightly thicker and less stretchy than the above.  But good.  I did wear through the base, but they were my only such shorts for many years so have seem many 1000s of miles.

And now the more recent options:

• Shimano Transit Path: Not bad, but still slightly baggier than ideal.  And I’ve worn through the base more quickly than other options
    • 7Mesh Farside: Very nice shorts.  Definitely not baggy, but still baggier than the top 2 options above so I don’t wear them on road rides too often – mostly casual or for running.  I think the newer versions come in 3 different lengths (mine are equivalent to either short or medium length).  Probably will be my first choice once the Kalfs die.
    • Rapha Fast & Light Trail Shorts: Also nice, but both baggier and longer than the 7Mesh above, so I should’ve sent them back really.
    • Vaude Something: Very sleek, thin and very stretchy.  But only have a tiny rear pocket big enough for a key and no more, so they offer very little over just wearing bibs alone.
    • Sportful SuperGiara: Decent cut.  Very practical with the stretchy mesh pockets, but not the best looking fabric.  And the zipped pockets mean there are just too many dangling things.
    • Gore Explore: Too long and too baggy for this purpose, but no complaints otherwise.  I’ve worn them for a few mtb rides where I’m not wearing knee pads
    abingham

@wait4me, didn’t realise they were still on sale, have just ordered another pair with the liner shorts this time!

crossed
    munrobiker
    Free Member

The Sportfuls are tight for their size, but not so much you need to go up a size.

davy90
    Free Member

Endura Humvee II here for commuting and mixed pootling. The inner shorts/chamois are pants but the outer a good fit for me, good decent sized secure pockets and near indestructible. Think they were £30 odd in a sale.

For actual gravel rides when I’m on the bike more than off it, Rapha Core cargo bibs.

fenboy
    sandboy

Another vote for the Decathlon Rockrider shorts. Mine are a few years old now and I’m definitely getting another pair or two. Perfect for gravel riding or when you don’t want to wear Lycra.

thenorthwind

Decathlon Rockriders £21 delivered on their eBay store ATM https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Mountain-Biking-Shorts-Cycling-Bottoms-With-Zipped-Pocket-Mens-Rockrider-/404311788782

I assume these are the right ones?

Edit: seem to be padded though :(

rOcKeTdOg

Yes

Stolen Goat Gravel Jersey and Shorts Review

didnthurt

Had a pair of Sigr, lasted one winter until the rear wore through, nice whilst they lasted which wasn’t great for an ~£80 pair of shorts.

My Gore Explore are 4 years old, for comparison.

Not sure about the Sportful ones, they don’t look good in the photos, and sound too baggy from some of the above comments.

I’ve seen the Chapeau ones, they look a decent cut and tick a lot of boxes, especially on price. They do look more like a pair of chinos than a technical pair of shorts, but might be worth a punt.

I’d be all over the Galibier ones if they were in different colour to British racing green.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/liberte-gravel-shorts/

Why can’t Gore just make a more tailored version of my favourite C5 trail shorts? F@@@ing boo!

https://www.gorewear.com/en-uk/c5-shorts-100585

didnthurt

Cheers Rockerdog for the review of both the Chapeau and Stolen Goat shorts.

didnthurt

Maybe Victory Chimp ones?

Out There Unisex Gravel Cycling Shorts V2 (Slate)

Anyone had a pair, how they fit, perform and are lasting?

gazza100

Check out the Rab Cinder gravel shorts. Just over £100 but shop around for possible discounts. Lightweight and the pockets line up with the pockets on the Rapha cargo shorts.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mine are either h&m or possibly fatface.

Watty

Mine are either h&m or possibly fatface.

Flash git (o; Mine are from M&S, I’ve got three pairs in different colours and they go perfectly over bibs!

edit, I see the emojis are still broken!

aggs
    Free Member

7 mesh are on sale at the moment. The Farside is not too baggy, even the longer version of the 3 lengths.

Edit; looks like the sale just ended for the shorts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.