Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Peak District Route
  • pnik

I’ve got a few hours on monday next week, and was going to drive up and do a ride in the Peak District, had in mind Stanage Edge and possible Lady Canning, anyone suggest a nice loop that I can get a sense of the area and incorporate a bit of classic peak district. I dont know what it’s like up there at the moment, I was assuming winter was kicking in, so advice on best route avoiding boggy bits ideal. Was thinking of a 2-3 hour loop, with some views, ideally.

Was looking on GPSies etc. found one but it looks like it goes where there are no trails, at least on the OS map, to the south of the reservoirs.

Clicky linkage

tlr

Thats pretty much my local loop – all legal and easy to pretty follow.

It includes Lady Cannings in case you didn’t realise that.

Edit – sorry, yes, I’m not sure about that bit south of the reservoirs. I know people do ride it but I just stick to the road.

carlos
    Free Member

all legal

Not the bit along Burbage Rocks, that’s a boggy in places and quite techy footpath :wink:. The very smooth, wide track under Burbage Rocks is the Bridleway

Classic Loop normally starts facing Stanage Edge in Hooks Carpark at The Dale, road along Ringlow Road to Lady Cannings Plantation, loop or two of the MTB trails, Across Burbage Moor to Sheephill Road, Right, Right and then Left into Blacka Moor, Devils Elbow, Left then right across the Stream, Loop round to the A625, Left then Right to Parson House Farm and cut back towards Lady Cannings on Houndkirk Moor, At The Norfolk Arms head up Fulwood Lane, Left at the top of Roper Hill and follow to the Reservoirs, Left on the road, up side of the wood to Stanage Pole, descend Stanage Edge through the trees/plantation, left on the road back to the car.

Lots of other variations on the route, some cheeky some not.

HTH

Carlos

docrobster
    Free Member

Edited. Didn’t study the first link properly
    The ground is really dry at the moment. It’s ace.
    I did this on Sunday. Was too knackered to do lady canning she so rode past instead.

pnik

Thanks that all sounds good, it’ll make a change from the north and south downs. A bit out of practice at proper ‘ills.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Ha, I’d seen that route on my strava fly bys. I was almost going to do the exact same route on Sunday except i was hungover and just bimbled about.

muzzle
    Free Member

I’d avoid the track that goes behind Bolehill Lodge (end of Moss Rd – it’s labelled if you zoom right in) as it’s really overgrown this time of year. There’s a left fork (easily missed in the heather) not long after you pass the cairn at the top of Bole Hill, which is more rideable but drops quite steeply at one point. It brings you out onto the same bridleway that leads up to Lenny Hill. Ride with consideration, as I think it falls into the category of cheeky but tolerated as long as you’re not being a dick.

muzzle
    Free Member

Also Devil’s Elbow is better than Piper Lane for the Blacka descent in my opinion ie. when you’re following the bridleway parallel to Hathersage Rd, ignore the right-hand turn on your route and go straight on through a gate to follow that bridleway instead. Eventually you take a sharp right downhill and follow that until you get to a wooden bridge at the bottom (all marked on your route with the green lines). That links back up to your route. It’s rooty, rocky and steep – one of the best descents in the Peak I reckon.

mildbore

Rode a variation on that route last week, trails all good and it’s been dry since. For trail info updates, go to ‘@KoftheP’ on twitter.
    IMO there’s a lot of road in that route, if you don’t know the Peak you’d get more bang for your bucks by doing some of the classic trails around Ladybower, Hope, Castleton etc

docrobster
    Free Member

The part south of the reservoirs is permissive footpath. I walk our dog there and there are always tyre tracks however it’s very popular with doggists and frequently quite muddy so I take the road from top of whyming brook to the bottom of long causeway.

docrobster
    Free Member

The section muzzle’s first post refers to was fine last Thursday. The alternative to the left is known as wide bar death on strava and is also ace.

pnik

I have been up a few years ago and did cutgate over to langsett from hope, which i think qualifies as a peaks classic. One of the attractions is stanage edge as it looks impressive in pictures but i’ve never beeen, even though i grew up in Derbyshire (abeit south of the county). I need to get the map out and work all this out. Sounds like the winter has been a bit delayed up there too. I was assuming cutgate wiuld be boggy as hell by now. The other attraction of this side of peaks is it’s closer to where I’m staying so i can minimise driving time.
    I take the point about the road sections, which was a concern but i’m looking to enjoy it not challenge my fitness level.

tlr

I might be around on Monday – not sure yet, but if I am then I’d be happy to show you a loop?

Email me if you are interested.

mildbore

There’s plenty on that loop that’s well worth doing, including the switchback off Stanage. I too may be around on Monday if you keep me posted

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

If the weather isn’t good enough for snowden, next Monday, I’ll be doing the ladybower classics eg beast/potato alley/hagg farm and screaming mile, your welcome to join, if that’s of any interest?

pnik

OK thanks for all the offers, and the GPX Carlos, looks good to me, a bit concerned about a) being slow and b) being hungover as staying with my best man I havent seen for a couple of years the night before. But it would be great if there was some company out, assuming patient company.
    I’ve been out of action for a few months with illness and other sh!t I wont bore you with. But I know have some time on my hands and hoping to salvage something from this late summer.I think I’ll stay over the stanage side this time chrisdiesel. I really want to have another go at the run down to Langsett, which I didnt do justice to last time, although for me was more fun than cutgate. We did that bit as an out and back. Weather was crud though. Great hopes for next monday. I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers

mildbore

Good. I’m well slow

frogrocket
    Free Member

Just commenting so I can find the thread again – heading this way next weekend.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

similarly bookmarking

pnik

So if anyone is about i plan to do the loop described by Carlos above tomorrow morning, about 10am start, i’ll be wearing a green carnation with a copy of the financial times sporting a white orange 5 with unfashionably small wheels! Starting from here.

https://goo.gl/maps/TvmRHqjRNh82

mildbore

Sorry mate, got a ‘childcare issue’ which is now going to stop me joining you

pnik

Shame, hard luck I think I’m only just down the road from you. Staying in Nuthall on Kimberley Road.

mildbore

Yep a shame, but I emptied my legs on Cut Gate today so would only have slowed you down. If you ever fancy a lift/ride, I pop up to the Dark Peak most weekends and some midweeks too – email:grumpytechnophobe@gmail.com

tlr

I’ll ride tomorrow if I can persuade you to start at the Norfolk Arms in Ringinglow, which is basically at the bottom of Lady Cannings descent. Partly because your start point will end the ride with a draggy climb, but mainly because it’s much closer to my house!

It’s only 5 minutes from your original start by car.

My email is in my profile, but I’ll be on the Black Tallboy with unfashionably large wheels!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Nothing to add just bookmarking

pnik

Happy to do ringinglow start, not precious. 10am still OK.

sharkattack

I’m also watching this thread as I was about to post something similar.

I’m new in Sheffield. I’m all settled in now but haven’t been riding yet. Open to suggestions for a good solo ride so I can see some views and get my bearings.

Is it OK to park in the Norfolk Arms if you’re not a customer?

mildbore

Big lay by opposite pub

tlr

Done. I’ll meet you at the Norfolk Arms at 10am.

Pook

Good up on houndkirk looking at Keeper of the Peak today

sharkattack

Good up on houndkirk looking at Keeper of the Peak today

All this stuff is foreign language to me at the minute. Don’t know where to start!

thepodge
    Free Member

Keeper of the Peak is a kind of trail condition notification system. Local riders relay messages via Twitter (you don’t need Twitter to look at twitter) so you can see where to avoid if its a mess.

https://twitter.com/KoftheP

Houndkirk is the big moor opposite the Norfolk Arms

pnik

Jusy a quick note to say thanks to tlr for being a great host and showing me around, waiting for me on the ups and the downs, and even taking pictures of me that make me look vaguely competent.

Props to you, I’ll be back, probably with bigger wheels, hopefully with bigger lungs.

ahwiles
    Free Member

sharkattack – Member

Is it OK to park in the Norfolk Arms if you’re not a customer?

yes, sort of, i think…

the carpark next to the pub has 2 halves – both next to each other.

the first half is tarmacced, and belongs to the pub.

the other half is gravel, and is owned by the National Park (?), you can park here.

there’s room for half a dozen cars under the trees over the road, but that’s increasingly churned up.

if you rode the Lady Canning’s Trail, and enjoyed it, please consider a donation to our new fund-raiser, so we can build another trail a mile away.

Ride-Sheffield_Radmires-fund

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Route’ is closed to new replies.