Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Paving slabs, using a slurry primer?
  • IHN

We’re having some stone pavers put down in the back garden to replace the current concrete ones.

The fella doing it has asked me if I’m

“happy for me to use a slurry primer (S.B.R) on the back of the slabs? As it can prevent mineral stains coming through the slabs and also wen the slabs are down they are down u won’t ever get a loose slab and then we won’t have to point as we go then either!

I know nothing about such things, sound reasonable to anyone who does?

juanking

Absolutely, will stick like the proverbial and is generally recommended best practice. Sounds like you’ve got someone who knows what they’re doing!

https://www.pavingexpert.com/bond_bridge_01

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If he means slabbing on a wet mortar base, then aye, it’s how I’ve done it. My fil is a bit of a DIY nerd, it’s the way he showed me.

maccruiskeen

I thought a Slurry Primer was the street name for Picolax

bearnecessities

I’m suspicious of all these steps that need to be taken to do anything nowadays, that strangely involve buying a new product.

I’m not an expert (gasps from the crowd) but my experience of laying granite slabs without using slurry primer/SBR is they haven’t flown away or soaked up any stains in the last 2 years.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll make it nice and solid but it’s probably a once only deal. You don’t need a super strong bond for patio slabs, especially if it is foot use only. My patio was laid with a weak mix, when I built the extension I lifted all the slabs. They were stuck down solidly bit lifted ok. The mortar came off cleanly with shovel and I relaid them in a new location once the extension was built. Would’ve been a skip, a load of carrying, and new slabs if they’d been SBRed.

eulach

A lot more easier

And he’s a paving expert.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Paving slabs, using a slurry primer?’ is closed to new replies.