• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by ahsat.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Patagonia Dirt Roamer jacket – who has one?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

I normally just wear a jersey or two when riding, unless it’s really raining and the. I’ll wear a rain jacket, but I’m looking for a thin layer I can wear when it’s a bit colder out, and maybe a bit damp but not chucking it down. Breathability is very important, I tend to run a bit hot. I’d likely use it for a bit of everything, mainly bike but also pottering about town etc.

Patagonia Dirt Roamer looks pretty good to me, does anyone on here have one?

Couple specific questions:
    – the front looks quite short, is it annoying when off the bike? I think I’d get a medium, if anyone has one would they be able to measure from collar to bottom please?
    – no front pockets, is that annoying when not on the bike and hands are chilly?

Any other comments on it?

Thanks!
    Duane

grum
    Free Member

I love mine, it gets worn a lot on and off the bike. It does seem to usually manage that magic thing of being neither too hot or too cold in a variety of conditions.

Never been bothered by either of the issues you describe – mine is a large though.

mahalo

Never quite understood wearing stuff on & off the bike, all my riding gear looks trashed within a few rides – waterproof jackets especially coz they don’t get washed! I wouldn’t dream of pottering about town in them when they’re permanently caked in shite… I’ve bought tops to wear riding before now that I’ve deemed too nice and kept them as civvies!

niklaus

Had one for 2 months. Unusual material really breathable, you can feel cool air coming through, especially on the arms. I run hot so really like it. Did well in one downpour for about an hour, dwr very effective. I’m xl and it fits as expected, good coverage at the back and not too short at the front. More pockets woukd be nice but it already packs a little larger than a simple Wind shirt. Really like it, but wonder how it’ll do as the dwr wears.

matt_outandabout

I’ve a Patagucci soft shell that looks similar. It’s same material I think, just from the mountain range.

It’s dissapointing in its square cut and how sweaty it gets. I think they’re quite warm from the thicker fabric, as in I wear mine in subzero on the bike.

I found myself using my thin Pertex jacket far more, and the Patagonia only comes out in proper, subzero cold.

There’s a multitude of other soft shell jackets out there at significantly lower cost. You could buy an off-bike and riding jacket for the cost of a Dirt Roamer. That includes products from other sustainable companies such as Vaude.

chakaping
    Free Member

So, I have a Patagonia softshell which is my go-to riding jacket for less-cold rides, racing and high-effort situations. Also for running at this time of year.

It’s brilliant and still getting regular use after nine years (they replaced the main zip under warranty).

My review

But not having hand pockets would drive me mad, I rely on them even more in this age of bumbagging. And my second-choice softshell (I have about six) is a basic Altura one I got for £25 and which is possibly even more versatile.

So, as Matt says, I’d check out the sales and get a cheaper one (or two). Aim for somthing on the thinner side (I also run hot) and with front pockets. Then maybe a thicker one too.

Stealth ad: If you’re a medium, I have an unused Endura Singletrack softshell jacket in two-tone blue to offload for about £50. As worn by Danny Mac.

grum
    Free Member

The thread title says who has one. People who have never seen the jacket saying ‘I have a totally different jacket but don’t buy one’. Classic STW.

He also doesn’t mention price as an issue. It’s undoubtedly expensive but it’s my favourite jacket and I have a lot of jackets 🤫

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I can get a good deal on the jacket hence the price not being an issue.

Grum, what is it about the jacket that you like so much? What kind of conditions do you use it in? Does the short front and lack of front pockets annoy you?

Thanks!

dusterbenny
    Free Member

Duane – Is the deal something you can share? I’ve had my eye on one of these for a while as a potential Xmas present to myself.

Duane…
    Free Member

No sorry unfortunately not 🙁

nickyboy36

I’m a big fan of Patagonia clothing, however the Dirt Roamer is the worst jacket I have owned, any rain beyond 10minutes and you will be wet through. Avoid.

matt_outandabout

I used to be a huge Pattagucci fan, and had access to Pro Account with them.
    However, the last few items I had from them were disappointingly square cut or oddly fabric choice / pocket placement / hood odd.
    I’ve found other brands make better performing and cut items.
    If you want sustainability, then Vaude are easily a match.
    Mrs_oab and I both have lightweight pertex type jackets. Ideal for cold, windy or damp days. She has a Pearl Izumi Barrier Pro with zip off arms. Brilliant fit and function. I’ve got a Scott that’s cut really nice, but is a running jacket really so has a hood. Great on the hill, less so on the bike.

matt_outandabout

Dirt Roamer is the worst jacket I have owned, any rain beyond 10minutes and you will be wet through.

But it’s not waterproof and doesn’t claim to be?

nickyboy36

ha ha – you’re right (it says it sheds light precipitation) – I get it now, I should have read the advert before I bought one 🙂

ahsat

Any more views on these? I’m looking for a mountain jacket fits a similar remit to my perfeto on the gravel/road bike – but with a better mountain bike cut and hood. I had one of the nukeproofs, but the lack of woman’s fit means it doesn’t work for me and I’ve given it to p20. Whereas the dirt roamer is one of few woman’s mtb softshells.

riklegge

I have one. I use it a lot of the time in mixed conditions. It’s not waterproof, but it’s very versatile as a sort of “wind proof +”
    Very breathable, the cut is pretty good (more along the lines of their alpine cut and not too boxy on mine), good in slightly damp weather. I wish it had a chest pocket, but other than that I really like mine.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab and I have light windproofs from Scott or Pearl Izumi.
    They fend off amazing amounts of damp, all wind and fit really well. Both cut for cycling without being road bike tight. Both have pockets.
    Mine has an under helmet hood and is orange (because commuting) and mrs_oab a more subtle Teal. Both have reflective areas.
    Mrs_oab’s Pearl Izumi is convertible into a gilet. Both fit in thier own pocket. Both take a spray of NikWax and they are back beading water off.
    They are brilliant things, and we rarely wear full waterproofs.
    Mrs_oab’s was £60(iirc) and mine £20.
    Job jobbed.

Glen Lyon Cycle

BadlyWiredDog

Any more views on these? I’m looking for a mountain jacket fits a similar remit to my perfeto on the gravel/road bike – but with a better mountain bike cut and hood.

The Perfetto uses Gore-Tex Infinium – basically fully windproof and close to waterproof fabric, but with half decent breathability too. The nearest mountain bike equivalent I’ve seen is the new Rapha Gore-Tex Infinium Trail Jacket, which looks good, but retails for a cool £275. Probably the closest thing you’ll find to an off-road Perfetto though.

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/womens-trail-gore-tex-infinium-jacket/product/SHW01XXPSU

bornonaboat

On the gore infinium front gore themselves make the lupra which fulfills the windproof/almost waterproof/breathes well and MTB fit at a price way more palatable than the Rapha one.
    Currently reduced a bit on wiggle at £144
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-wear-womens-lupra-cycling-jacket

I have the gore endure which is the fully waterproof version and it’s super nice on the bike.

BadlyWiredDog

I think the other thing with Gore Infinium is that it’s arguably better suited to road riding where effort tends to be more constant than mountain biking, which tends to be more of a mix of really hard efforts interspersed with with easier stuff. For me that means that I can be comfortable with something like a Gabba / Perfetto on the road, but prefer something more breathable off road.

Of course it depends on individual physiology, how hard you ride and the type of riding you do, but it’s worth considering. Generally the more breathable fabrics tend to give slightly reduced weather protection and vice versa.

One other thing, the Gore jacket uses a Polyester face, the Rapha one is Nylon. Generally Polyester’s not as tough or durable as Nylon when it comes to face fabrics, which could be a factor. Not sure if either jacket has taped seams, very occasionally you find Windstppper / Infinium that’s taped so even more rain resistant, but it’s unusual. Blah, blah, blah… sorry to blather on.

ahsat

Thanks – some useful thoughts. Trying to avoid doing a mass order to try them all 😅

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.