Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Painting/Powder Coating
  • covertbaz
    Free Member

Looking to refresh my Tranny Covert as the paintwork is looking a little tired, anyone have any recommendations as where to go that won’t cost the earth? Have looked at Argos Cycles and whilst I have no doubts it’s worth it, it seems a little pricey and was hoping to get done for under £100 if possible?

I’m based in Hampshire so local would be good too

renton
    Free Member

I had my five spot powdercoated by a place called Fastline coatings http://www.fastlinecoatings.co.uk/.

They have done a brilliant job………..

gazman
    Free Member

5spot looks good, I just had my superlight powder coated near Manchester it cost 20.00 and looks good.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Renton –

How much did fast lane charge you for the turner?

Did you have to strip the original finish or did they dip it?

renton
    Free Member

Hi mate

They stripped it and covered all the relevant holes etc.

Thing it was £75 off the top of my head!

renton
    Free Member

few more pics …..

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Cool – thanks!

Just “acquired” (don’t tell the wife?!) another frame that I’m thinking of freshening up!

kayak23

I’m getting charged 80 by a place in Banbury for my mega plus a spare swingarm.
    Colour should be similar to that nice looking Turner above.
    I rang up today about it and the dude said they’d had trouble getting the old paint off by dipping. Said it may be acid etched primer. Nukeproof did a good prep job seemingly…

renton
    Free Member

Its a lot brighter in real life ! :mrgreen:

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Dropped 4 frames here today

http://www.trestanfinishers.com

£120 for all four 😀

brack
    Free Member

Interested in this thread .. As I have a few bikes needing a refresh.

Question – when or who applies the decals?

And should the powder cost be laquered?

DT78
    Free Member

@ciderinsport what are you having done for that price? Are they prepping the frames too? Seems cheap. I’m local so would be interested to see pics of the finished frames.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

DT78, powder coat. Yep they are prepping!

Used them lots of times over the years and always been very good! The cheap price is frames only X 4, 2 in matt black and 2 in Kawasaki green 😆

Will be the end of next week when they are done, I will popp some pics up on this thread!

kayak23

Kawasaki green is popular… That’s my colour too… 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Cool cheers. Take it they are all hard tail frames too?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

If you want a really good finish or fully custom chrome effect with colours aerocoat.net rock had them do probably 90 frames so far (trade) they really do push custom colours to the next level and there work is flawless. They also offer a variety of coloured ceramic finishes as well as hot zinc spraying for steel frames before powdercoating (ie galvanising) plus they offer wet finishes

covertbaz
    Free Member

Ciderinsport cheers, fairly local and pricing seems good, have emailed them to see if I can get booked in

covertbaz
    Free Member

Spoke with Trestan today and quoted £40+vat for any colour they stock, needless to say I’m booking in and will post some pics up once done

40mpg

Another Trestan job here, have used them a couple of times with good results – think it was £35 for frame, forks and stem sand blasted and ppc sparkle white (couple of years ago now)

P3300517 by T*inbred, on Flickr

P6040256 by T*inbred, on Flickr

kayak23

Picked up the other day and looks pretty sweet.
    One top tube sticker, one sexy lady sticker, and some nail art transfers and Heli-tape, and here we are..
    Just got to wait for headbadge tape and forks now.

Before (awaits the it looked better yellow comments…) 🙂

After

DT78
    Free Member

We’ll I think that looks awesome. Where did you get the sexy lady?!

covertbaz
    Free Member

Nukeproof looks proper smart, who’d have thought nail art could be put to good use?

kayak23

Cheers. Sexy lady sticker was from pin up sticker search on eBay. The nail transfers were too. A bit difficult to work with really but kinda work..

DT78
    Free Member

been looking at decals on ebay…most of them seem to be water transfer, how did you get them to stick and protect them? Did you cover with clear varnish?

kayak23

The top tube sticker I had made by Diginate, an online company.
    The nail art ones are water transfers. I just slid them into position, patted dry with tissue and left to fully dry.
    They are a bit of a nightmare actually, very fiddly and delicate.

I lost quite a few of them and some sort of smudged. I’m guessing I let them soak too long. I let them dry a few hours and then applied helicopter tape smoothing down with a hair dryer.
    I might do it again as I’m not totally happy with it and a few did lift away before I got the heli tape on.

coldhams1
    Free Member

I really want to refresh my meta 55 but have heard horror stories about stripping the paint off, what methods do people use to get the paint off the aluminium?

kayak23

Take it to a powder coaters.
    They’ll dip-strip it for you for probably close to the amount the paint stripper and tools would cost you with a lot less hassle and mess.

renton
    Free Member

My frame was sandblasted.

DT78
    Free Member

Cheers for the answers.

Those that have used Trestan – do they cater for carbon forks (road frame)?

dogmatix

I’ve not tried them but I think this company near me (cranleigh, surrey) do powder coating as well as teflon coating http://www.fluoroprecision.co.uk/ teflon coating

ciderinsport
    Free Member

And they are back!

Busy night ahead!

kayak23

My new Pikes finally arrived and so the powder coated Mega has at last been built up and ridden in anger.
    First ride with the new Hope T-rex expander sprocket too.
    Sadly, i think I cut the chain 1 link too short as I wrapped my mech around the cassette about twenty minutes into the ride.. 😳
    I bent it back enough to keep one gear and rode, pushed to the top of the ‘mountain’ and had a fantastic descent.

Quick review of the Hope expander – Brilliant. Really adds that ‘bail-out’ gear. Easy to set up and nice smooth shifting with my SLX medium cage mech. The mech that broke was a Zee short cage, which I think can be used fine, but I feel the medium is better for it.

New Pikes –
    Fantastic. Replaced my Lyriks with these and I couldn’t believe how much better they felt. Great upgrade. Really happy I got them.
    I got the 650b model too, so despite running 26″ wheels, the trails still partially come alive. 🙂

jacob46
    Free Member

That looks fantastic mate,
    ive got a specialized HT that i would love to change the paint work. i recently changed it to a 1×10 and im left with a horrible not lacquered area where the front mech use to be. fed up of the colour anyway.
    i was in contact with a company called Argos but they are asking for over £200 including carriage. they charge an extra £10 for some extra tough paint. 200 quid gets your frame shot blasted back to bare aluminium,priming and clear lacquered.

very interested in where you got yours done! is the finish easily chipped? or does it seem tough?

kayak23

Yeah, Argos will no doubt do a beautiful job, but powdercoating is the cheaper way to get it done.
    The dude said to me to make sure I was settled on the colour, because it’ll only be done once! I think he meant it’s durable… 😀

I got mine done at Banbury powdercoaters, but most places have a few powdercoaters around so just look for a local one. See if they have any photos of work they’ve done.
    the guy in Banbury was helpful and had already done lots of bikes, and motorbikes.

jacob46
    Free Member

kayak23 thanks mate,

i live in sutton coldfield so banbury down the road for me. ill check him out in the week. cheers.

stevied
    Free Member

Just out of interest, which Lyriks did you replace? Looking for some new forks and Lyriks and Pikes are top of my list. I ride the Malvern’s too, mainly, so be interested to hear how both faired..

kayak23

i live in sutton coldfield so banbury down the road for me. ill check him out in the week. cheers.

Plenty, plenty of powdercoaters in and around Brum…

stevied – Member
    Just out of interest, which Lyriks did you replace? Looking for some new forks and Lyriks and Pikes are top of my list. I ride the Malvern’s too, mainly, so be interested to hear how both faired..

Lyrik RC2L I think. About 2011 or something.
    Good forks, and I was never kind to them. They did multiple DH holidays in the Alps etc, uplift days over here and general trail riding. I had a medium spring I think.
    The new Pikes feel so much plusher to me anyway, and obviously the weight saving isn’t to be sniffed at.

Northwind

Teflon coating! That, it strikes me, is just completely awesome 🙂

I had a frame done by Hendersons in Edinburgh, I would have called it robbery except that I refused to pay for it, shit job. That’s not specifically an unrecommend about Hendersons- well, it is, they know how to do it right but can’t be bothered- but more a general recommend to get as many recommendations as possible.

jacob46
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    Plenty, plenty of powdercoaters in and around Brum…

not too many good ones thou! wish i knew which one was the best?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Painting/Powder Coating’ is closed to new replies.