Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • OSX 10.7 Lion Release Date?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

When is it out?

Jamie
    Free Member

July.

So within the next 2 weeks-ish.

Jamie
    Free Member
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does one have to have upgraded to Leopard first or can one go straight to Lion from Tigger?

Hmmm…can only be got from App store, so I’m guessing one has to go Leopard first.

Jamie
    Free Member

10.6.8 is minimum, DD.

I would expect down the road there should be a, uurrghhh, physical release, that will enable updating from older OS versions….but knowing Apple this common sense approach may be ignored.

To be honest, it’s always worth letting a few updates roll out first. Let others find the bugs.

footflaps

I’ll be waiting to see what doesn’t work in terms of 3rd party applications before upgrading…

nickb

Need Snow Leopard first, apparently…
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

carbon337
    Free Member

Was going to get it later as a form of entertaining myself tonight.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How are Leopard users finding it working with Adobe CS4 these days?

(this is obviously not for my benefit)

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll be waiting to see what doesn’t work in terms of 3rd party applications before upgrading…

If a commercial user then this 100%.

Most devs have had the developer seeds for a long time now. Unfortunately, that doesn’t stop certain companies from doing sweet f’ all in upgrading their products.

Edit: Oh, and don’t forget if you bought your Mac after June 6th you get a free update.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Well that’s my entertainment sorted out for this afternoon.

spacemonkey

I checked the App Store out of curiosity this morning and found no hint of it yet. Hopefully Jameie’s link is accurate because I didn’t see any dates other than just ‘July’ on the Apple site too.

Will probably give it a month or so to bed in and see how people take to it. Can’t see how the extra functionality over SL is really going to make much real-life difference. Launchpad seems gimmicky IMO (unless you genuinely use 50 apps regularly blah blah) …

EDIT: I also subscribed to the Lion update and haven’t heard a dicky bird.

Militant_biker

From http://www.cultofmac.com/the-wait-is-over-apple-confirms-that-os-x-lion-will-be-available-to-download-tomorrow/105173 “Apple has just announced that OS X is officially launching tomorrow! It was confirmed by no less a person than Apple’s Peter Oppenheimer! He didn’t mention a time, but 8:30AM ET is the most widely rumored launch hour right now.”

I’ve already decided not to upgrade until a good number of people have tried it and they’ve ironed out any real-world problems. What I think is cool is that you should be able to go to some Apple stores and download it over wifi from their pimpy instore servers rather than flog your broadband. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I should have added the caveat that I could be wrong 😉

What I think is cool is that you should be able to go to some Apple stores and download it over wifi from their pimpy instore servers rather than flog your broadband

I wonder if people will be lugging their 27″ iMacs into the stores, or realise they can just take a 8gig+ USB stick.

Jamie
    Free Member

Swing and a miss hit.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Well thats it out now so we’ll see if its any good or not.

gee
    Free Member

Downloading now…

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, got my free download via the up-to-date scheme. Not going to bother downloading for a month tho. Let initial bugs get sorted first.

Note: Above up-to-date link is for US. Correct UK/EU link is:

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

Review with pertinent features:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jul/20/mac-osx-lion-review

ratherbeintobago

Downloading now. First time I’ve bought from the App Store – is there a way of finding out how much had downloaded/is left?

Andy

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yes – go into the downloads tab at the top and it’ll tell you in there.

ratherbeintobago

Magic – thanks

Andy

gee
    Free Member

It’s ok. Doesn’t seem a huge amount different yet. The swipe gestures are easier to use.

The install was unbelievably easy – everything reopened as I had it, even the background is the same. The ease of upgrade has been the most impressive thing so far…

GB

ericemel
    Free Member

Shiny new Air’s, Mini and screen too!

CaptJon
    Free Member

It’s all about the new scroll bars, or rather lack thereof (until you need them). Not that i’ve tried them, i’m still waiting for IT to send me the order confirmation so i can get the free upgrade.

vimto
    Free Member

reviews / details of new features:

overview

video

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Well that was a bit of a nightmare install.

CaptJon
    Free Member

4 hours remaining

🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Well that was a bit of a nightmare install.

The install was unbelievably easy

Heh.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Had to restart the install five times. First time it booted straight into disc utilities, second time back into snow leopard, third forth and fifth time it hung on 33 minutes to go for 20 minutes.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, despite saying I was going to wait for a few updates to roll out, I have cracked. Hit the download button so I can finally get a non-aqua interface.

Amazingly in-depth review over at Ars-Technica pushed me over the edge 😉

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars

Edit: Bit annoying I have a 50mb connection, and its coming down as if its a 5mb line.

Frankers
    Free Member

Mine has installed without any problems.

Just playing around with it now. Prefer mail and like the idea of reading saved pages later on in Safari.

Struggling with new multi gestures though

willard

The internet at work is having a hard time right now. Lots of Fanbois going for it.

I think I’ll wait until I get in tomorrow…

allthegear
    Free Member

Stick with the gestures – they grow on you big time after a few weeks.

Even the developer previews were stable so it looks okay to go ahead and install on important macs.

Rachel

the-muffin-man

I can’t see the benefit of downloading a new OS – what happens when you need to do a re-install, or need to force-boot from a DVD?

Or ‘ahem’ install it on several machines!

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh – and you can re-use the installer between computers – just copy file then sign in to AppStore before installing. Saves downloading it for every computer.

CaptJon
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member
    I can’t see the benefit of downloading a new OS – what happens when you need to do a re-install, or need to force-boot from a DVD?

Or ‘ahem’ install it on several machines!

Multiple installation is included in the price. Reinstall/force boot is done from a special disc partition.

Jamie
    Free Member

…and of course there is this:

In the meantime, if you’re reading this, chances are good that you have a fast broadband connection; feel free to stop reading right now, launch the Mac App Store, and start your multi-gigabyte download before continuing. What you’ll be rewarded with at the end is an icon in your Applications folder labeled “Install Mac OS X Lion.” (See?)

Once you have the installer application, you could (were you so inclined) dig into it (control-click, then Show Package Contents) and find the meaty center, a 3.74GB disk image (InstallESD.dmg, stored in the Contents/SharedSupport folder). You could then use that disk image to, say, burn a Lion installation DVD or create an emergency external boot disk.

allthegear
    Free Member

Apple OS’s are different to MS ones in that they are more a way of bringing people into the Apple ecosystem (iTunes etc) than they are a revenue generating product. So, they want as many peoples possible to upgrade but don’t care so much if that makes them money directly…

Rachel

the-muffin-man

If I waited until the physical version is released could that be installed as an update from OSX10.5.8 or would I still need to get Snow Leopard?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If I waited until the physical version is released could that be installed as an update from OSX10.5.8 or would I still need to get Snow Leopard?

I axed this above and Jimmers seems to think a physical install disk will mean that you can skip Snow Leopard…but I’m not sure…as it was me that was axing, he might have just been being nasty to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘OSX 10.7 Lion Release Date?’ is closed to new replies.