Viewing 40 posts - 4,761 through 4,800 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • aracer
    Free Member

Like the pound?
    [/quote]

😆

aracer
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that there would be no banks in an independent Scotland? Are you predicting that HSBC, the Coop and whoever else has outlets would simply withdraw from the market? Are you saying investment banks wouldn’t arrange finance for businesses? Is that your question?[/quote]

I think you’re referring to jambalaya’s question, not mine, despite quoting me. I was assuming the question was about banks being head-quartered in iS rather than just having branches there, though I may have been wrong about that.

bencooper
    Free Member

It remains a lot easier and achievable to allocate equitable shares of the oilfields

Go on, then – how do we do it? By reserves? By resources? By area? When do we pick to compare populations? What do we do about capital investment costs, fluctuating oil prices, etc etc?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I haven’t called anyone a “hypocrite”.

How did i manage to quote you saying it then? Though I suppose you could claim you were accusing someone of engaging in hypocrisy but you were not actually calling them a hypocrite. it would be disingenuous but you could do it

You either pay attention to opinion polls or you don’t, irrespective of whether they back up your agenda or not. I thought the logic behind that was obvious.

Apparently what you do ernie is say what they say twice and when someone asks you to produce them you say

As for your question whether I “have polls showing blah blah” I know better than to try and engage in any meaningful debate with you, especially on this thread.

I will aspire to treat being asked to prove what i claim about polls [facts] with the maturity you have done

konabunny
    Free Member

Aracer – yes, sorry, that’s right!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dare it mention the McCorne book again as one source for examining how you spilt various items such as oil etc?

It woiuld be odd for Scotland not to ask RBS and HBOS to established separately capitalised subsidiaires in Scotland, if nothing else for a bit of nationalistic face saving.

Northwind

Jambalaya – Member

Weve been round the currency thing many times, AS knows he has to takr the euro if he wants to be in the EU

I don’t know if you believe this or not but I’m pretty sure we’ve been over the reasons it’s wrong about 3 times in this thread alone.

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit from a purely intellectual curiosity perspective I would quite like Scotland to vote yes, as AS applying to join the EU with the stated intention of not joining the Euro (which I think would be a unique position – I don’t think even Sweden did that) is one of many things I’d like to see how the negotiations go. In case of doubt, I’m not suggesting they won’t be allowed in if he does that, simply that it could result in some interesting diplomacy.

duckman

Dare it mention the McCorne book again as one source for examining how you spilt various items such as oil etc?

You can if you want,but as pointed out by,well…everybody, nobody up here trusts him or ever will. Making conciliatory noises about our ability to manage post split is just him trying to broaden the appeal of his amazon cash in. Nor does it disguise the fact that had the report not been “kept from falling into the nationalists hands” (his suggestion and the bit you keep missing,) then devolution/independence would have been a certainty on a much better financial footing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You have read the book then? What did you think of how he explained the pros and cons on the various methods of apportioning various assets, liabilities etc?

Having led the industry and development departments for the Scottish governments that rules him out as being credible does it? The one guy who was championing an oil fund right from the start rather than as an afterthought, and we should dismiss him out of hand??? How very odd….

I hope no Scottish Uni employs/employed him given such a lack of trust, that would be terrible wouldn’t it? Imagine him teaching economics or business?

duckman

Again,you ignore(as you have done from the start of this thread) why he can never claim to be impartial. Oil fund? yes that would have been a great idea,shame that in no small way he played a part in it never happening in the 70’s.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Never impartial”…… 😀 . A funny way to start the week, thanks! I guess the answer is still no then?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry Ben, forget that source as a place to find the answer. What was I thinking to mention it’s again? Crazy…..

duckman

I have read it,I have told you that on a number of occasions.Feel free to tell me how he can be considered impartial in any part of the independence debate.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True you know that bit in the introduction where he lays out his claims for impartiality (to the best that this can be achieved) – was he a liar 😉 ?

Still the “misrepresentation” of McCrone’s position is nothing new. But to come back to ben’s question, I guess his explanation of methods is neither good nor impartial enough. Where would you suggest that Ben looks?

As you know throughout the book, he addresses a number of key questions from different perspectives acknowledging where IHO the analysis is correct or not. As he says himself, there are points where he disagrees with the conclusions of the yS campaign, so perhaps he should be airbrushed from the debate? It wouldn’t be the first time. But the fact that in each chapter he presents alternative arguments and assesses their pros and cons, make him a lot more readable and sensible as a source that plenty of other suggestions.

duckman

True you know that bit in the introduction where he lays out his claims for impartiality (to the best that this can be achieved) – was he a liar ?

Revisionist would be more polite.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On Banks.

I saw an interesting analysis of the situation in New Zealand. There all their large banks are now owned by Australian Banks. The authorities in NZ are very worried as history has shown that if there is a crises regulators and governments, quite naturally, only spend their tax payers money on supporting local (ie in country) banks. As such the NZ authorities are trying to force the Aussie banks to separately capitalise and incorporate their NZ subsidiaries. This is consistent with TMH’s point above.

@Northwind on the euro I appreciate the arguments that the Yes supporters have made here, it’s just I don’t believe they have any merit. Let’s wait and see.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not just the yes supporters in this case – quite a few of us on the other side (I’m sure I claimed to be impartial when this thread started, but I don’t think I’ll try that line now) also agree that in a practical sense there is no way that a country can be forced to join the Euro. There are a number of criteria which must be met before joining the Euro and no country can be forced to meet those criteria – to do otherwise would make the whole thing even more of a train crash than it is already. The only unique thing about the situation with iS is that presumably it would be joining the EU having expressed the intention not to join the Euro, which as I mentioned above would I think be unique – though almost certainly not sufficient to bar membership of the EU. Whether they get to join on the terms they’d like is another matter though…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

..though almost certainly not sufficient to bar membership of the EU

Not complying with the Copenhagen criteria would be sufficient to bar membership of the EU.

The question is whether Scotland would be made an exception if it said it wasn’t prepared to fully comply.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambalaya, this seems to be the trend with banks driven out of the UK. It seems to make sense to me. Obviously for their own interests RBS, HBOS and possibly the Asset managers (eg Aberdeen) have all the contingencies in place to show that they have the correct level of backing come the “wrong” decision :wink . But I think an iS would still want to have the local operations capitalised separately. Interesting experiment to see how the ROCE would differ between locations.

Who knows we may even have a watered down Vickers in place by then?

konabunny
    Free Member

That’s exactly the same situation as presently exist: if you’re not locally capitalized, you don’t get local government deposit guarantees. Nothing new there. You just make sure to have enough assets locally.

This is all a distraction: if Macedonia can have a competitive banking market with mostly foreign owned banks, then I think Scotland can too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_the_Republic_of_Macedonia

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aracer – all countries now joining the EU have to commit to take the euro and to present a plan as to how they will meet the criteria. If an iS is to be as rich as the SNP says it will have to take it straight away. I do not believe for a second the EU will allow iS to sneak in on the basis of the “we are already a member” nonsense and keep the shadow pound or whatever. Also as debated earlier there is long line of countries waiting to join the EU, if Scotland is to jump the queue it will have to “pay up” in many regards, the euro I believe is just one of those. There must be a chance that the UK is negotiating an EU exit before an iS has formally been created.

@Northwind – I may be opinionated but I am not a troll, if I post something it’s because I believe it, even if that view may appear misguided to others.

Junkyard
    Free Member

we have dont this debate before – not even all that long ago.
    I forget who posted and which EU politician they quoted [ president] There are currently members who have agreed to the principle but are not actually trying to join and wont have to until the electorate vote to join so iS will be no different – they commit to it but do not have to do it.

We are going round in circles here

I do not believe for a second the EU will allow iS to sneak in on the basis of the “we are already a member”

What is important is how accurate your belief is not whether you hold it.

Its the EU – and I assume THM will agree here, give the fudge they did to ensure the Euro there is nothing they wont /cannot do.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Junkyard, but why would the EU fudge anything for a country of 5m people ? Particularly after Greek debacle. The requirements for joining have changed. Existing members got in before the rules changed, so they have their fudge. I think the only thing Scotland has to offer the EU is money, they have to make a significant contribution to the annual budget. The members who have joined recently eg Poland, Bulgaria, Romania they offer large populations and the politically motivated expansion of the EU to the East.

Anyway I appreciate you may have done this debate before. Most of what’s being gone over here has been done before in the thread.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye it has

The interesting one is the citizens of scotland – currently EU citizens – as far as I am aware there are no rules re stripping them of citizenship so they could [ surely whether you like the EU we can all agree to this] literally make up any old shit they like.
    If they are prepared to ignore referenduums on the constitution this is nothing.
    personally nothing the Eu does surprises me

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

@aracer – all countries now joining the EU have to commit to take the euro and to present a plan as to how they will meet the criteria. If an iS is to be as rich as the SNP says it will have to take it straight away.

I’ve never called you a troll 😕 But I will say, this post shows a basic lack of understanding. There is no possibility of Scotland “having” to take the euro straight away- in fact there’s no possibility of Scotland even being eligible to take the euro straight away, if we wanted to, we don’t meet the basic criteria (obviously impossible for a new nation to have been a member of ERM2 for 2 years).

So it requires both that the EU does a complete about turn and starts forcing countries to join the Euro, and also that they throw out the qualifying criteria and let countries take the Euro regardless of economic suitability. The former is incredibly unlikely and the latter would be insane.

duckman

Have a number of countries just not met the criteria for the euro,and has that been part of the post Greek tightening up by any chance?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The former is incredibly unlikely and the latter would be insane

Its the EU i am still not ruling either out 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

So it requires both that the EU does a complete about turn and starts forcing countries to join the Euro, and also that they throw out the qualifying criteria and let countries take the Euro regardless of economic suitability. The former is incredibly unlikely and the latter would be insane.

That argument goes both ways though – the Scottish alternative involves the entire EU, all 28 nations, all but two of whom have either joined or had to commit to joining the Euro as part of the deal, turning round with open arms and allowing Scotland to join while openly stating from the outset they have no intention of doing it. Frankly I think thats a pipe dream, if nothing else due to the precedent it sets for future countries who might want to join.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Zulu are you familiar with saying one thing and doing another 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Its a bit late for that isn’t it Junky?

Subterfuge only usually works if you don’t publicly announce it first 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is probably hoping no one can understand his accent

Aye fair point

Northwind

ninfan – Member

Frankly I think thats a pipe dream, if nothing else due to the precedent it sets for future countries who might want to join.

The precedent of being in the EU with no intention of joining the Euro is already established, and the EU’s attitude to that is uncomplicated- ain’t care. (to the extent of appointing an ex-swedish leader president of the EU) Sweden of course is still committed to joining the euro, some day not now, and the exact same option applies to all other new EU members- “commit” to take the euro when it suits you.

The Scottish Government’s position isn’t that Scotland will never join the euro, and that’s an important distinction- it’s the same situation that most of the existing non-Euro EU members are in- either no current plan to join, or very longterm “intentions” with no obvious movement towards it. Fully a quarter of the EU are in the same position.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Have a number of countries just not met the criteria for the euro,and has that been part of the post Greek tightening up by any chance?

Isn’t the more important or relevant question – Has any country ever met either entry or Maastricht criteria. Not even those well behaved Germans did that, the French didn’t and the Italians simply cheated. As for the Greeks, with a little help from Goldman Sachs they really took the piss. But chickens ultimately come home to roost.

The incentive for the EU to fudge matters is much higher when we are talking about countries that are openly trying to integrate themselves with a bigger union. Scotland is doing the opposite with obvious knock on effects elsewhere. Hard to imagine that encouraging our friends in Europe to bend over backwards!

YS is clear on its ultimate intention to be part of the EU. Another irony – another example that independence in economic policy is not a desire despite the rhetoric. Definitely an African elephant with ears that big.

konabunny
    Free Member

The interesting one is the citizens of scotland – currently EU citizens – as far as I am aware there are no rules re stripping them of citizenship so they could

Properly understood there’s no such thing as standalone EU citizenship, just citizenship of a state that is an EU member. If you’re a UK citizen today but stop being a UK citizen tomorrow, you don’t carry on being an EU citizen (unless you have citizenship of another EU state).

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

The incentive for the EU to fudge matters is much higher when we are talking about countries that are openly trying to integrate themselves with a bigger union. Scotland is doing the opposite

Er, no it’s not, it’s doing exactly that. It doesn’t want some elements of the integration but that’s a million miles away from “the opposite of integration”. The opposite of integration is, well, having a referendum about leaving I suppose. Or, Scotland not joining the EU. Or, resisting Scotland joining the EU. But joining the union? No.

duckman

We have done the argument about Europe about three times now. Why are the no posters so adamant that Scotland wont join,especially as there is a large movement in their country to have the UK leave?
    Meanwhile, Nick Clegg was in Scotland yesterday telling us about our increased devolved powers. Good of him,but somehow I don’t see him being in any position to grant them much after the vote,no matter which way it goes. Anyway McCrone suggests we will see no more devolved powers after a no vote,so to keep his fanboy happy and based on the pasting we got in 79,I will go with ignoring Clegg( Scots name for those evil flesh eating horsefly’s BTW)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It doesn’t want some elements of the integration

Euphemism of the day! 😉

Now I know there is a big difference between what is being voted for and what even the SNP actually wants – but you have to recognise the stark divergence between a nation that wants independence from a union in order to have freedom to take control over its own decisions (cough, but leave that aside) and the EU which is clearly moving towards higher levels of integration including in time full fiscal and monetary union. The future EU will not be a trade zone and history has proven that it cannot be a currency union without being a fiscal one too.

So irrespective of how many oatcakes AS wants to have and eat, this basic fact (elephant) remains. Cherry picking the pros and ignoring the cons simply won’t work with EU as the rUK will ultimately find out. The status quo in Europe is clearly unsustainable as Draghi’s sticking plaster will last only so long.

But as I have said before and irrespective of any of the above, there is something very odd about wanting to a leave a union that largely satisfies the requirements of a union to join one that doesn’t – unless the “real” underlying motive is basically an anti-English one 😉 Nothing else makes sense, but then again nothing new there.

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

you have to recognise the stark divergence between a nation that wants independence from a union in order to have freedom to take control over its own decisions (cough, but leave that aside) and the EU which is clearly moving towards higher levels of integration including in time full fiscal and monetary union.

No, I really don’t. This idea of “absolutely everything independent or you’re not independent at all” is a curious one and it’s one that seems to be held exclusively by No people. Scotland doesn’t want to declare independence from the world, it’s not a James Blish novel.

The obvious counterargument’s been put forward many times- if Scotland in the EU isn’t meaningfully independent, then the UK isn’t meaningfully independent, nor any other EU state. The only way the argument really makes sense is if you want to take the UK out of the EU entirely. Or go fully integrated- because if being in Europe at all means you have no meaningful independence, why not go the whole hog?

In either case- what better proof of meaningful independence could there be? The decision to apply to the EU or not, and thereafter to stay or to go, will be one for Scotland to make.

bencooper
    Free Member

This. Biggest threat to my business at the moment is that one union we’re in (the UK) will take us out of another union (the EU). Without Scottish independence, there’s nothing we can do about that – we’re stuck with whatever the rest of the UK wants. With independence, we can decide for ourselves.

This argument that Scotland can’t be independent and want to be in the EU is like someone saying you can’t be an independent person and decide to get married. It’s being free to choose that matters.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,761 through 4,800 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.