Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Orange Sub-Zero – Part Two – "The taming of the Frankenbike!"
  • psychle
    Free Member

From this:

To this:

An improvement, no? Also have a set of Pikes to try, but will give the Lyriks a go first (mainly 'cos they match the pimp white rims so well 8) )… 160mm up front doesn't look too ridiculous does it?

Looking forward to a test ride next week (once I get the last few bits I need of course 😆 )!

pinches
    Free Member

Looks like a ripper! I bet with some 100mm forks that would be 4x tastic.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don't forget to buy a chain. Quite important.

5lab

how long's that frikkin seatpost? might be worth trimmin the steerer a little..

psychle
    Free Member

seatpost is fully inserted, it's a Rase Black Mamba with 9" of drop! The frame is probably a little small for me, it's a 15", so that's why the seatpost is up so high (for pedalling etc), but it's a lot of fun once the saddle is down! Yep, need to trim the steerer and cables…!

Don't forget to buy a chain. Quite important.

Good pickup elfinsafety, an appropriate name! 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does anyone else find the words "Black Mamba" and the figure of 9" is a little disturbing?

TheSwede
    Free Member

That will make you grin like a ****. Angles look great for a play bike with the lyriks. Done a similar thing with my chameleon and it's soooo much more fun. Just not on the ups but its mot that sort of frame any way. Saw this advertised, did you buy it or not sell it?

psychle
    Free Member

Decided not to sell it… will be parting ways with my Enduro SL instead, truth be told this is a much more interesting frame to own, and better suited to the majority of my riding really…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

seatpost looks too long, forks look too long and the chainstays look too long. Apart from that its class

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

"Does anyone else find the words "Black Mamba" and the figure of 9" is a little disturbing?"

No, why, what are you thinking of? Care to share?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'd agree about the stays- they look like they want moving forward a bit.

And it looks like your seatpost says "rape" 😯

vinnyeh

It's an improvement, but still not my cup of tea- reckon the forks are too long, but I'm interested to see how it runs.
    What else have you got on the go at the moment- is the R3 built up yet?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good to see you've tidied that leaf away.

psychle
    Free Member

Here it is with the Pikes at 140mm:

and at 110mm:

and with the seatpost dumped down all the way!

RealMan
    Free Member

I like how you've gone for the "extra trail feel" on the handlebars. Grips are so overrated.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but are you building a 2×1? Or will there be a cassette?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The pikes at 110 look the best. The bb looks very low though. And move the dropouts in further, the wheel base looks daft

psychle
    Free Member

160mm

140mm

110mm:

RealMan
    Free Member

Put the longest fork on, raise the saddle angle so its in line with the top tube, cut off all but 4 inches of seatpost, go and ride. It will be brilliant I reckon.

TheSwede
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

The pikes at 110 look the best
    Balls!
    look at the angle of the chain stays. Looks like a 29er. BB will be too low. ITS NOT AN XC BIKE. Lyriks look great. Thread closed. Go thrash.

psychle
    Free Member

ITS NOT AN XC BIKE

I think the loooong seatpost is confusing folk 😆

TheSwede
    Free Member

Tip the seat back 15 degrees, drop it 4", pull your pants 8" up and jeans 8" down. Then they will understand 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Balls!
    look at the angle of the chain stays. Looks like a 29er. BB will be too low. ITS NOT AN XC BIKE. Lyriks look great. Thread closed. Go thrash.

yeh i agree, but the front end looks rediculously high with 160mm. The head angle looks best at 110, but the chainstays look too long and the bb looks too low

nickc

Those hammerschmidts look really really stupid…

TheSwede
    Free Member

IMHO the head angle looks great with the lyriks for descending and drops which really is what lyriks are designed for.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Those last two pics are the same! (and no sneaky editing 😉 ). Do I get a prize? I reckon it looks best at 140mm and as realman says get the saddle angle tipped back a touch.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

160 looks awesome.

psychle
    Free Member

Those last two pics are the same! (and no sneaky editing ). Do I get a prize?

Hmmm… I do believe you're correct, let's try again:

140mm

110mm

as realman says get the saddle angle tipped back a touch.

Shall do ma'am! 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

O. . .K. . . in that case I think it looks better at 110mm 😉

psychle
    Free Member

O. . .K. . . in that case I think it looks better at 110mm 😉

Surely, thou jests madam? Looks too low to me, though as someone mentioned above, it'd probably be a good 4X ride at that setting?

Those hammerschmidts look really really stupid…

What looks stupid about it?? No different a look than a bashguard surely??

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Orange Sub-Zero – Part Two – "The taming of the Frankenbike!"’ is closed to new replies.