Viewing 19 posts - 281 through 299 (of 299 total)
  • Oooo am I going to get a visit from the police?
  • Cougar

Why are the advanced driving forum having the same debate then and making the same points ?

That’d be that “appeal to authority” thing again. I haven’t looked but I’d expect that those forums aren’t an authority, they’re people who want to be better drivers.

user-removed
    Free Member

The point’s been made. Lane’s closing in a mile. Ok, best get ready, this lane you’re driving in won’t be there in 500 yards. Right, c’mon, you’ve got 200 yards, slow down and merge.

Oh I see. You’re going to push in at the front.

It’s just the way our UK brains work.

Cougar

It’s just the way our UK brains work.

And that right there is the problem. Bring on compulsory re-tests every ten years.

user-removed
    Free Member

I fully agree but in the meantime? Personally, I’ll go with the flow rather than risk getting to the front of the right hand lane and see nothing but set jaws and angry faces, with no beggar letting me merge.

Cougar

If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the precipitate, or something.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I fully agree but in the meantime? Personally, I’ll go with the flow rather than risk getting to the front of the right hand lane and see nothing but set jaws and angry faces, with no beggar letting me merge.

This.

If I was the crusading type, I’d do it every time to try to force a change in thinking.
    Unfortunately, sometimes I just want an easy life and decide to cowtail to the majority.

daren
    Free Member

Did you have your bike attached to the car ? Wouldn’t want to be tarred with same brush as people like you….you’ll probably go to jail and become someones bit*h. Get in the queue like the rest of us. then everyones happy 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not getting involved in the name calling/drawing weak caricatures of those who have different views from me as it is really not helpful.

I was driving to work today and the M61 splits with one lane to get off for the M6 or M65[cougar you may know this bit the Roundabout].
    This was queing today, as was the MWay but the M61 lanes were moving faster but go straight on
    In this scenario you always get a small number who dont go into the proper lane [ ie the lane for the M6/M65] and queue but rather stay on the M61 bit push in at the end and queue jump. I suspect we have all seen this done in various places.
    I suspect this behaviour is what makes folk cross re the merging action as it seems to be the same. I suspect the cross over of drivers who do both of these is high but , clearly, I am guessing.

HERE

nealglover
    Free Member

Totally different situation. That’s just just being in the wrong lane and then forcing into the queue, I wouldn’t /don’t do that.

jfletch
    Free Member

I’d wager that 90% of drivers would resort to being in the wrong lane when they are late or in a hurry. (Queue swam of people, in single file, telling me they wouldn’t)

The issue is that people are always in a hurry or at least want to minimise their time in the car, since driving is such a miserable experience. What they can’t do is conflate this with driving less since driving is so damn convienient.

Cougar

I suspect this behaviour is what makes folk cross re the merging action as it seems to be the same.

It may seem to be the same, but it isn’t.

An inability to differentiate between “two lanes of traffic forming a queue to go to the same place” and “one lane of traffic queuing and other lanes going somewhere else entirely” may well explain why some people get cross, yes.

butcher

When the left lane has become stationary already those merging/pushing in at the front are delaying everyone who has shown some consideration to other road users.
    Njee theory never works unless the traffic is flowing freely.

Not read all the thread, so I’m sure it has been mentioned already. But there are plenty of circumstances where it’s best to use all available lanes. Otherwise you end up with traffic blocking up preceding junctions and causing mayhem.

There’s also plenty of circumstances where it just makes you a dick mind. And sometimes there’s a fine line in between.

Pigface
    Free Member

They have these signs in New Zealand, sorry if its been posted before but I cant be bothered to check.

DezB
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oooo-am-i-going-to-get-a-visit-from-the-police/page/2#post-6713254

Now hopefully this thread can loopback round and disappear up it’s own arse.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m sure it has been mentioned already. But there are plenty of circumstances where it’s best to use all available lanes. Otherwise you end up with traffic blocking up preceding junctions

Ad nauseum.

sorry if its been posted before but I cant be bothered to check.

Ad nauseum.

Can’t quite believe I found the time and energy to post this little missive, frankly.

Pigface
    Free Member

I think my picture is more informative 😆

Point well made Dez B 😉

DezB
    Free Member

😀

butcher

Ad nauseum.

Well I’m glad I could help with drilling the point in a bit more 😀

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ve skipped from page 5, I got bored of reading self righteous drivers think they are correct in sitting in one lane not moving.

I always thought that roads get you from A-B in as little time as possible…hence me jumpin…ahem merging in later on.

Not an Audi driver though, I’m his worst enemy…white van man!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 281 through 299 (of 299 total)

The topic ‘Oooo am I going to get a visit from the police?’ is closed to new replies.