Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • One job not enough for some :)
  • Woody
    Free Member

its hard to believe a copper would be a lap dancer for example

I know a Paramedic who runs her own pole-dancing company. Believe me, it’s harder to imagine it if you had actually met her 😆

yossarian
    Free Member

Holding seances eh? Apologising to Ian Tomlinson perhaps? 😉

Drac

Woody that’s terrible.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Our hot air ballooning business employs lots of police and firefighters too as ground crew… Most of them like the outdoor work and because we work at dawn or dusk, it generally fits in with their shift patterns.
    I think they like working where people (our customers) are pleased to see them and are only intending to enjoy themselves – not hurl abuse or spit at them!

pingu66
    Free Member

Actually, I would be a bit more happy if the 1% pay rise in four years hadn’t immediately been grabbed back in increased pension contributions, leaving me £30 a month less in actual pay than 2009.

The pay of all officers, that is, the federated ranks, superintendents, chief officers and police cadets is increased by:

2.65% with effect from 1 September 2008
    2.6% with effect from 1 September 2009
    2.55% with effect from 1 September 2010

http://www.policeoracle.com/pay_and_conditions/police_pay_scales.html

Assuming the poster quote is in the police force if you have only received a 1% pay increase then you are being ripped off.

As for police bashing it seems OK when they are defending themselves for their mistakes. But not when those mistakes are pointed out or someone raises a question its always seen as police bashing.

Apparently statistically 1 in 10 staff will perform below par so in a police force of 200,000 that would be 20,000 so its not hard to find and highlight issues. Sometimes those issues are difficult to hide but when they become apparent then the police should be transparent and answerable rather than covering up.

As I have said I believe that most want to and try to and indeed do manage to do a good job despite the difficulties but lets not get defensive and admit that there are significant deep routed issues in our police force.

It appears that pay for nurses, firemen and police constables would be similar, they are not the best paid jobs but as has been said it is public sector. It would be good for all to earn more but there are not massive discrepancies between public and private sector pay scales.

Woody
    Free Member

Woody that’s terrible.

You know her too? 😆

Pingu66 – I’m a Paramedic not Police.

Northwind

alexandersupertramp – Member

My point is that how do they have enough time time to do jobs

Same way everyone else who has 2 jobs does it. Work a working week, then work some more in the remaining time.

Northwind

Oh hang on… Are we assuming that all these police officers are full time? (I’m assuming you can be a part time policeman?)

pingu66
    Free Member

Woody that’s what I wasn’t sure about. I didn’t see any pay scales for NHS workers in a quick search. I think anyone who works with the public is up against it. Wether its paramedics, police fire etc and I am sure with what has happened to pay and pensions in recent years that it is not as good a place as it used to be.

I think we probably are assuming them to be full time as the reference is second job rather than working for the police as a second job. Although there may be part time police as a single job role. Would it be safe to assume that the majority of police are full time rather than part time?

Its an interesting point though Northwind, if an officer is part time ok. But if they have a full time job and work part time as an officer generally a secondary job should not impact a primary job. Its a difficult balancing act. Particularly if an officers secondary job is his or her own business surely in that instance there is a larger vested interest in the secondary job. I actually did have two jobs at one time and it was bloody hard juggling time let alone if I had shifts to consider as well.

Drac

It doesn’t even say they are Police officers, just Police staff they could be any body who works in the Police. So we shouldn’t assume anything at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its from the Mail after all

It will be mainly support staff

For example a mate of my mums works for the police as an “adult” when required – they get paid for this.

Its not their “real job” but they will be in the figures

onehundredthidiot

yep as i said on page 1. It says staff, not just officers and makes no mention on FT/PT split. Personally I can’t see how you could hold a second job and be full time given the shift patterns and likelihood of over running the shift. OH ended up pulling a 22hr shift as the person being interviewed suggested he would top himself. Off for a psych appraisal and queue 8hrs babysitting.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Let’s assume its poorly worded and when they say staff they do actually mean officers. Police officers can and do have second jobs. They have to be declared as a “business interest” and are subject to vetting approval. If Sky/Daily mail got the figures for declared Business interests you’d see that renting out a room to a mate/colleague, or renting out a second house is considered a business interest. It’s not usually about “holding down a second job” (as in a formal position with set commitments), but fixing the odd car or fitting a kitchen and being paid for it.

Many coppers had jobs/skills prior to joining and keep those skills up, if they are paid for it they have to declare it (I know carpenters, mechanics etc who will do such work on days off). Many are building skills in preparation for retirement.

The “story” has come out now as any police story will get a higher profile. A typical “not news” story that builds momentum.

onehundredthidiot

And the pessimist in me thinks that when/if the ball gets rolling about how greedy the public sector are being. It can only mean that that nice man George has something up his sleeve.

If this doesn’t work wait for another public sector bash in a couple of weeks.

Oh and I’m a private sector employee.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘One job not enough for some :)’ is closed to new replies.