Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • One hardtail to rule them all… what frame?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Bit of a slow work day today. So…

I have upgraded my cheap alu hardtail to the point where the only original items are the frame and the headset. Obvious next step: new frame.

Requirements:

-Light enough to blast 30 mile XC routes as fast as my fitness will allow
    -Strong enough to handle rough terrain, e.g. fast rooty downhill with repeated 1ft steps
    -Maybe even strong enough to handle small jumps – would like to learn to be more comfortable with a little time in the air, but not full on DJ or anything
    -Cheap
    -Sexy

To give an idea, bike spec that will be fitted is:
    685mm wide bars
    SLX brakes 180/160
    Mavic XM719 Rims / Kenda 2.1″ Tyres
    RS Tora Coil U-Turn 85-130mm

I know it’s probably asking a bit much, but it’s good to get an idea of whats possible. The only thing that immediately leapt to mind was a Stiffee – light and bombproof. Only problem is that they’re quite pricey. Advice/Abuse welcome. Do I even need a stronger than average frame?

MrAgreeable

Have a look at a Marin Rocky Ridge, sounds spot on for what you’re doing and you should be able to pick up a cheap frame second hand.

longweight
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon my do it all bike, tis perfect for everything. My bike build theosophy is:

Be as light as possible, be able to survive a uplift day, and be comfortable enough to ride a marathon on.

Build: Chameleon, Pikes, 819, Hope, XTR, XT, Thompson

Pic (ignore mud guards they were needed under the circumstances):

enfht
    Free Member

Light AND Strong ?

I’m not superfit but I can still easily do 30 miles of hilly terrain on my steel frame so I’d say go for steel over ally

flyingmonkeycorps

I suspect a Stiffee would be overkill, I know it is for me – but then again, I love it anyway. Don’t think I’d have bought one full price though. Does it have to be Alu? What about an Inbred / 456? I think that’s what I’d be looking at if I had to buy a new hardtail with a sensible budget.

Mackem

Orange P7

duckman

PA,Soul,456.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

2nd Chameleon, that’s what I’d get in your instance.

alpin
    Free Member

steel framed, 100-140mm travel.

most bike should be able to deal with 1ft drops. if not, the problem lies with the rider/riding style.

james
    Free Member

Sounds like pretty much any frame that will take a 130mm fork, but still will ride all day

On-one inbred
    (On-one 456) – on the heavy side
    Pipedream Sirrus
    Ragley mmmbop/blue pig – not out until late june
    Kinesis Maxlight XC<120
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert
    Orange P7
    Cove Handjob
    Cotic Soul
    (Cove Stiffee) – quite stiff?
    (Santa Cruz Chameleon) – quite stiff?

Must be loads more

pjd
    Free Member

P7 – I built up a cheap 2nd hand 05 (i think) frame with some not so cheap bits and it is awesome.

Perfect fit for your forks

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Commencal combi?

soma_rich
    Free Member

on-one Scandal with 120/130mm fork

wors

I have the same dilemma, i’m hoping one of the ragleys will be the answer.

poppa
    Free Member

Lots of food for thought there. I’m in no rush, so I am prepared to go second hand. Does anyone here get ‘airtime’ on their hardtails – is it safe to do so or just asking for trouble? Couple of Chameleon reccommendations there – they look nice but I had heard they are incredibly stiff, is that true?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Orange P7 all the way.

Michael-B
    Free Member

Having read the May issue of Singletrack’s and the Budget Makeover article I’m now considering the Santa Cruz Chameleon. But I do have a test ride on a Ragley coming up soon so think I’ll try get a ride on a Chameleon as well.

Have a go on one and see for your self its the best way.

flyingmonkeycorps

The Stiffee is extremely stiff too. There’s a clue in the name 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

Does the Chameleon change colour then too? 😆

Shandy
    Free Member

I love my On-One. You could buy a new one and get it sprayed whatever way you like and still have change from £250

jackthedog
    Free Member

Does the Chameleon change colour then too?

That’s a pont – why don’t they paint it with ink that changes with the temperature like those Global Hypercolour t-shirts back in the early 90s?

Global HyperCruz!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Go for one of these and then you can SS it when you get bored.

hora
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

I’d say a chameleon myself but it is a very stiff bike and will screw your back over long rides. Not hugely light neither. You’ll never snap it though and it is a hugely fun thing to rag about the place.

I’ve got an expensive handjob and a chameleon and the chameleon gets way more riding done on it.

MrAgreeable

Does anyone here get ‘airtime’ on their hardtails – is it safe to do so or just asking for trouble?

Ha!

As someone says above, it does depend very much how smooth a rider you are. I’ve broken spokes and even smashed the bearings in my rear hub doing fairly little drops like the one above, so I’d go with strong.

MrAgreeable

One other thing about alu frames is that the walls of the tubing are generally thicker than steel ones. So they are (generalising wildly here) more resistant to dents, and a steel frame that’s designed to survive the sort of front-on impacts you get in dirt jumping or DH will be very overbuilt and probably heavier than an alu equivalent – although it varies and there are some waaay overbuilt alu frames out there too.

The angles and lengths are really important in a frame as well as the contruction, you may want something fairly short so it’s easier to pick the front up for drop-offs.

poppa
    Free Member

I think I have some work to do on smoothness. Currently learning to bunnyhop consistently enough to clear obstacles safely. Trouble is, when I do it, it looks like someone superglued a guy to a bike then tazered him.

richc
    Free Member

A PA is definately worth a look.

poppa
    Free Member

Yeah, I have heard horror stories of people dirt jumping XC frames and ripping the head tube off!

Anyone know what sort of weight difference there *typically* might be between a robust steel frame and a robust aluminium frame? I was assuming it would be of the order of 1 lb or so.

MrAgreeable

Don’t think it’s that much. More like 1/2 lb?

richc
    Free Member

Well a PA is 5.5lb (and its a strong steel frame) and the Cove is 4.5lb’s so a lb doesn’t seem a million miles off. Bfe’s are a bit lighter but much more expensive (but still cheaper than a new Cove)

The Ragley Ummbop is only 3.7lbs so its much lighter than a steel frame, but its a bit of a unknown considering you can’t even buy them yet. If they do turn out to be any good I should imagine they will be very popular, as they will be strong, cheap and light.

waihiboy
    Free Member

P7

richc
    Free Member

one important thing IMHO is the ability to run an adjustable seatpost, so ideally you want a 30.9 or 31.6 seatpost.

mike_p
    Free Member

they will be strong, cheap and light

Oh no they won’t! Pick any two.

Whyte 19 would get my vote. It did in fact, and it’s awesome

nickc

Chameleon’s not that bad in terms of stiffness, certainly no worse than any other ally hardtail (with massive fat chain and seat stays…), plus you can mitigate it a bit with a carbon post, and a squidgy saddle. I can ride all day on mine, no worries, did a 55 mile loop the other day on it, and I wasn’t crippled by it.

Michael-B
    Free Member

The thing I like about the Budget Makeover article is the bit where it says (the oft-neglected mountain bike genre of “just riding along”) that’s what I do just ride along. Sometimes XC ricer sometimes Play Bike and sometimes Filth Riding but never enough of one or the other to get a specific bike for the job.

alpin
    Free Member

’airtime’ on a hardtail

it is more about the rider than the frame when it comes to jumping. a full-suss will let you get away with things if you cock up and are not smooth.

Bumhands
    Free Member

They don’t get any love on here so I’m going to say a DMR Trailstar is a great bike for not much money £299.99.

james
    Free Member

How good of an ‘all-day’ bike is a trailstar though? Aren’t they more of cross between a normal do-it-all hardtail and a dirt jump bike or more like a 4X frame?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘One hardtail to rule them all… what frame?’ is closed to new replies.