Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • One for the Type 1 Diabetics; FreeStyle Libre2 – just about to start!
  • Harry_the_Spider

That sounds really quite dangerous.

We’re still on pens, so dialing in a big number is very visible.

LD
    Free Member

Quick question on omnipod. I hadn’t realised exactly how it works but a quick read suggests that the app tells you what insulin you need based on a cgm reading. You then tell the pump to inject an amount of insulin. The Daily Record article very much implies that the pump was faulty and delivered too much insulin automatically.
    Not trying to attribute blame but I would like to understand what went wrong.

chipster

LD

With the Omnipod, and the Medtronic pumps, you enter the amount of carbohydrate you’re having and your blood glucose reading. The pump will estimate the amount of insulin you need to bolus. (based on the insulin/carb ratios, correction factors your personal device has been set up with)

Or, you can short cut that by entering the bolus you want. Eg. I wanted, when I made my mistake, the insulin for 20g of carbohydrate (would have been 1.6u). Instead, I entered bolus 20 units and hit go!

Hope that makes sense.

j4mie
    Free Member

It’s a sad story but can’t imagine the pump would’ve done that itself, these headlines are making a lot of people very worried. I think he’d only had it a couple of days and while I’m not a betting man I’d put my house on him doing something wrong (although maybe not aware he was doing so). Let’s wait until there’s an official response before jumping to conclusions. It doesn’t help anyone.

househusband

I now have more than a couple of blood sugar level meters that I don’t use; AccuChek Mobiles mainly – would anyone know of a charity that might take them?

When I went on the Libre2 system the clinic also gave me yet another type (the third over the years…) of meter that can also do ketones; a 4Sure Smart Duo – and that’s now my back-up in case of Libre2 failure.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘One for the Type 1 Diabetics; FreeStyle Libre2 – just about to start!’ is closed to new replies.