• This topic has 48 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • One for dezb griz foxy or jojo
  • juan
    Free Member

And the other nice on here that can speak english properly 😉
    What is the rule when I say:
    If I were/was ?
    I always use:
    If I were you
    If I was him

But during various chats or posts on here I came across:
    If I was you?

Which one is correct

Thanks

jojoA1
    Free Member

I personally would use “If I were you/him” which I think is correct and more formal. However, I doubt anyone would object to “If I was you/him” but my feeling would be that it was more colloquial.

In my opinion it also depends on context, is it in speech or writing?

mrsflash
    Free Member

I would say “If I were you/him” as well.

juan
    Free Member

thanks girls 😀
    */blow kiss/*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For spoken english, these days it seems to lean towards “If I were…” but technically, I would have thought it should be “If I were you” but “If I was him/her” and obviously “If I were..” for “them” for written. I’m a little confused over which part of the sentence to which the verb should agree though…if you see what I mean.

juan
    Free Member

dacry yes I though it was
    If I were you
    If I was him but couldn’t quite make it as a lot of people use to say if I were him.

DezB
    Free Member

I were a bit slow there weren’t I?

juan
    Free Member

dezb see I would have said “I was a bit slow

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I would have thought it should be “If I were you” but “If I was him/her”

no, the ‘were’ is subjunctive (I think) and does not change for the person of the object. The verb goes with the subject. This is different to past tense I was, we were, with the additional complication that English is so formal we don’t use ‘thou’ and ‘you’ is always notionally plural 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

juan – Member
    dezb see I would have said “I was a bit slow

Sorry, yes, I was being silly.

juan
    Free Member

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGg
    dezb FFS don’t you think I have enough trouble without you taking the piss 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, that’s what Dez does best!

juan
    Free Member

I am not helped…
    People I know and what they do best…
    WCA show off and crash so not much on the bike
    Peterpoddy eat cake so can eat
    Dezb take the piss so cant be trusted
    Rudeboy talk another language so I cant comprehend him

Oh dear jezus mother of gods 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You ponce!

Rudeboy talk another language so I cant comprehend him

Cheeky git. When you can learn to speak proper like what I does, then, and only then, may be free to criticise.

I fear, Juan, that the real problem lies in your difficulty in interfacing wih my vernacular, rather than me no speak propply.

duntmatter
    Free Member

innit, like.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I’d always assumed English wasn’t RudeBoy‘s first language, which was why he was able to get away with such atrocities as “is not” without being kicked into insensibility ?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

And the other nice on here that can speak english properly

juan by “griz” I hope you didn’t mean me 😯 …….. if you did, you were having a laugh, right ? 😕

‘Cause I think it would be stretching things considerably to suggest that I can ‘speak english properly’ !
    I got about grade 4 CSE english and I’m lucky if I can manage to pronounce half of the ‘big words’ which I use on here – knowing what they actually ‘mean’ is something of a bonus …..

Still, you’re a foreigner so I guess you weren’t to know 😉

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I once received a PM from Rudeboy which was one of the most perfectly constructed and cleverly written pieces of English language I have ever read.

The “coodnt”, “Yerp”, “is not” carry-on is just an act.

Oh, and Juan, I would say “If I were you..”

CountZero

Rudeboy’s a Lunduner, so English is obviously not his first language…
    (runs, hides in deep hole, pulls it in after him).
    Trouble is, Juan, that English, outside of its formal structure, is a very flexible and adaptable language that readily absorbs words from many other languages, plus there are distinctive regional variations in speech that are reflected in the written form, plus it’s very idiomatic, which makes it a real bugger for poor non-English speakers attempting to learn it. It’s not as bad as Japanese, though. Or Hungarian, Finnish or Irish. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The “coodnt”, “Yerp”, “is not” carry-on is just an act.

you think we didn’t know that ?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Blimey.

Well, thank you, Foxy Chick! What a nice thing to say! I’m really flattered by that!

And yes, of course it’s an act. I think you’d need to be a bit dim, to think I’m incapable of using ‘correct’ English!

I do enjoy playing around a bit, with words. My favourite poem is Jabberwocky. I don’t think anyone could accuse Lewis Carrol of lacking language skills! I love colloquialisms, and dialectical differences. I once had a fascinating chat with the actress/comedienne Josey Lawrence, about how different regional accents are perceived, and the stereotyping that goes with this (thieving Scousers, Drunken Scotsmen, thick Brummies/Irishmen, devious Cockneys, etc).

I think it’s very important, to master the language that you speak. I do find bad grammar annoying, as it shows that some people have been taught badly/been too lazy to learn.

People should play around with language. I like slang, although I really, really hate txt spk, and the laziness of some young people, in their use of language. I find some of their ‘street’ slang quite funny, and sometimes just a bit cringeworthy. But it’s good that people can express their own identity in the way they communicate. That’s why I butcher words.

Oh, and I know it really, really annoys some people. Just makes me want to do it even more.

Watch this: Oi, Barnes, what dijical cam you go then, mate?

Bless Juan; he’s very proudly ‘French’, but he makes a real effort, to understand our language. He’s a very intelligent lad, too, and it’s pissed me off a few times, when people have sneered at him, for his use of English. At least he’s trying. Good luck to him.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Yeah. Language is plasticene. Let’s play.

TooTall
    Free Member

Is there anything worse than someone who bangs on about adoring the language and mastering it, then finding it both big and clever to butcher it as an act? ‘Mastering’ a language then playing the part of someone less able is a bit of a tedious act. IMHO of course.

igm

Now normally to find the correct use of the English language you have to ask the Scots; which means as a Frenchman you are at no clear disadvantage to those living in in the Scottish colony south of the Tweed.

In this case the verb as mentioned earlier agrees with the subject and therefore it is “I was”. However, English being English, if it sounds right and communicates well then it is generally acceptable; so if “I were” sounds better (which it generally doesn’t, but arguably in this case it does) then it is acceptable. That doesn’t make it correct; but it’s not incorrect.

Of course I’m an engineer and therefore barred from making any comment on any language.

Iain

juan
    Free Member

Griz yes I mean you. You might have had poor marks at your GCCE but I find all your post to reflect a big intellect and eloquence, although you do use swearing a lot.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Swearing is **** ace!!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

TooTall; If you find it tedious, then don’t read it.

Woon’t it be really boring, if we all spoke exactly the same?

And yes, swearing is ****ing brilliant!

juan
    Free Member

Jojo I concur as far as it’s done with your lovely accent 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

“I were” sounds better

it sounds better because it’s right 🙂 As I said above, it’s the subjunctive, not the past, but by coincidence the same word is used. When you say “If I were you”, it’s not specifically past, present or future, but hypothetical

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there some stuff on Wiki about the subjunctive, but I find it more confusing than helpful 🙁

As in “If I were” is called past subjunctive, but does not imply in the past 😐

TooTall
    Free Member

One can’t help reading it when it is plastered all over the forum like a mad woman’s poo.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What, like a Dirty Protest?

RudeBoy = The Bobby Sands of STW?

juan
    Free Member

tootall/rudeboy play nicely please

igm

“I were” sounds better

it sounds better because it’s right As I said above, it’s the subjunctive, not the past, but by coincidence the same word is used. When you say “If I were you”, it’s not specifically past, present or future, but hypothetical

there some stuff on Wiki about the subjunctive, but I find it more confusing than helpful

As in “If I were” is called past subjunctive, but does not imply in the past

Hmmm. Read the Wiki bit and I’d agree not entirely helpful. I’m drifting towards the conclusion the the correct form (and I tend to disagree with the concept of correct english – some of the best english breaking ever convention going – though I still prefer Kerouac’s stuff when he used punctuation and Joyce is right out of here) depends on what you mean.

Anyway if langauge is about communication and it succeeds in doing so then is it not correctby definition – anything else is posturing (see my earlier post for plenty of that).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m drifting towards the conclusion the the correct form … depends on what you mean.

well, duuuh, yes, of course :o)

DrJ

there some stuff on Wiki about the subjunctive, but I find it more confusing than helpful

As a Froggy, Wan should already know all about the subjunctive, n’est-ce pas?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As a Froggy, Wan should already know all about the subjunctive,

how so ? Just because they have it too doesn’t imply they understand its use any better…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

juan – Member
    Griz yes I mean you. You might have had poor marks at your GCCE but I find all your post to reflect a big intellect and eloquence, although you do use swearing a lot.

juan, you are obviously confusing me being correct on most matters, which I won’t deny is absolutely true 😉 with me being some sort of highly educated intellectual, which is absolute nonsense…… I really am a semi-educated foul-mouth geezer from Croydon 😯

As far as the swearing is concerned, I’ve cut out all that bollox since some **** grassed me up to the mods a couple of weeks ago and I was banned for two days. Still, I won’t deny that I do swear too much. The problem is that without making eye contact I forget just how posh and sensitive some of the punters on here are. Which kinda makes me think that despite my best efforts, it’s just a countdown ’til my next ban 😐

duntmatter
    Free Member

‘Mastering’ a language then playing the part of someone less able is a bit of a tedious act.

Tootall – I think mastery of language is an ability, rather than a knowledge of what is correct standard English. That mastery can be displayed through use of impeccable standard English, but there are many other ways of showing it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you equate non-standard use with a lack of ability. Your saying ‘playing the part of someone less able’ is what makes me think that.

igm

simonfbarnes – Member

well, duuuh,

Now slow down a second. What I mean is…

“If I was there last night, I have no recollection of it.”

“If I were you, I’d start remembering fast.”

I think they are both correct, even taking the almighty Wiki into account, so it depends or your meaning, or if you prefer the context. And the original post asks if there is a rule; not which form to use in which context.

Now go take some photos.

Iain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘One for dezb griz foxy or jojo’ is closed to new replies.