Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 218 total)
  • On-one Big Dog or…
  • yemi16n5
    Free Member

My Large Phosphate frame is on it’s way. Look forward to seeing some cool builds on this thread.

vmgscot

Just back from Inners shuttle day and my Large Orange frame is here. Thanks for tip on mech hanger – thought it was missing but it is under brown packing tape securing foam frame protection. This will be my first steel bike since 1989 (Saracen Tufftrax) and my first 29r so looking forward to trying this.

survivor

Bah….. XL looks like a farmer’s gate built up. No dropped top tube.

Missed a trick their Brant what with the modern geometry on the rest of the bike.

slowmover

So far I have had 2 through axles delivered(one last week and one today) but no frame despite assurances from planet X. This impulse buy is turning into a real shlep.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

This impulse buy is turning into a real shlep.

And they rub it in – the website still says in stock and ready to ship

cromolyolly
    Free Member

4) I’m a bit peed off on pricing.

One if the reasons I dithered. You always think you are getting a bargain then it goes cheaper.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well I was really pleased with mine. All done, quick shakedown, went to bleed rear brake and just blew my lever up. Now very cross.

ilfer
    Free Member

I received my Big Dog L phospate frame today… what a cool look 🙂
    BUT: The axle is too short! It says length 171,5 mm on it and I can’t thread it in with a 148 Wheel mounted. What about your axles – are they longer?

EDIT: I went into the chat… I really got one of the old wrong axles. A new one will be sent out 🙂

JackHammer

Mine got delivered today. The box was open at both ends, but I haven’t had a chance to take a look properly. The frames wrapped in a reasonable amount of bubble wrap and masking tape though.

Fingers crossed it’s all there.

lukasj
    Free Member

Mine got delivered today too, but without a hanger and with wrong (short) axle. After 3-4 weeks :-/

vmgscot

@lukasj – double check the brown parcel tape on the frame protection foam – the hangers well embedded under some of that brown tape – well mine was when I thought I didn’t have one in the box.

highlandman
    Free Member

Mines here, built it on Sunday, rode it on Monday for an icy commute. It’s excellent; a wee bit of rear compliance (not much mind..), quick, handles well on the easy trails so far and fits exactly as I’d hoped. No issues at all, hanger & correct axle supplied, boxed thoroughly, packed carefully.
    2×10 works with a 38/26 boost chainset and forward pull front mech. I’ve kept the front low for xc/packing/commuting duties with a 100mm fork.
    Another commute ride tomorrow to continue the developing relationship. Am happy.

Olly
    Free Member

How long does the On One account page sit on “In Picking” typically? I would ask OO chat, but dont want to scupper my chances of getting it this year. :s

drfrankenbike
    Free Member

Are you guys getting your frames chased/faced/reamed etc. or not bothering? If I can get away without any additional prep in a shop I could have mine built tonight

survivor

Are you guys getting your frames chased/faced/reamed etc. or not bothering? If I can get away without any additional prep in a shop I could have mine built tonight

I did the BB on mine. Threads were fine but the faces were a bit out and material came off to even them out

highlandman
    Free Member

BB was fine on mine, post mount brake needed a bit of paint taking off to get it square.

JackHammer

Right axle, and hanger attached.

Looks all good. Now to build it up on the sly.

Olly
    Free Member

XL bootzipper (or box saying thats whats in it) arrived today, . past week or so ive been collecting spare parts and buying new odds and ends where necessary.
    Just need to make some space in “the shop” and we’re under way.

Dont think ive EVER faced a BB. the threads are long enough and the spacers squishy enough, that it would have to be way out to start making a difference.
    Scrape blobby paint, if there is any.

yemi16n5
    Free Member

My Big Dog frame arrived and I immediately took the rear wheel off another bike and threw it in. No issues with the thru axle, although the clearance is a bit tight with a 2.4 Conti Trail King.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

the clearance is a bit tight with a 2.4 Conti Trail King.

This puts me right off.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

although the clearance is a bit tight with a 2.4 Conti Trail King.

Are the 2.4 still as comically wide as when they were rubber queens?
    I’ll have a look when home but seem to think there’s was uggins of clearance on the 2.3 shorty in mine

survivor

First ride on my big dog today.

Really impressed with it. It’s a good fit and the geometry makes it feel well balanced so was quickly up to speed on the descents and was happy to push hard into the corners. Chuffed for two hundred notes….

Would of been exactly what I was after if the top tube was a bit lower as I’ve got a feeling my voice may go a bit squeaky if I need to dab on steeper trails. Brant if you read this do a MKII with a dropped top tube and I’ll buy that as well 👍

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

’ll have a look when home but seem to think there’s was uggins of clearance on the 2.3 shorty in mine

About 6mm either side of a 2.3 shorty on a 29mm internal rim

akkwlsk
    Free Member

First of all, more pictures of your big dogs gentlemen.

Second – it was supposed to take 29×2.6, wasn’t it?

yemi16n5
    Free Member

Are the 2.4 still as comically wide as when they were rubber queens?
    I’ll have a look when home but seem to think there’s was uggins of clearance on the 2.3 shorty in mine

Yes, the 2.4 Trail King is pretty large compared to other 2.4s. It’s a bit tight near the non-drive side chainstay. I really like the damping and grip @ 23-24 PSI (the latest version updated in 2018).

vmgscot

Finally got a build together. Not quite ideal as I thought the fork adjusted down to 130mm but seems minimum is 140mm once I had dismantled it – decided to run with this for now. Gears, brakes, finishing kit off the old Ti456. Stem maybe too long but ‘fit’ seems very similar to my FS (Yeti SB6) when I sat on it. Weight is 14.1Kg with CB mallets.

null

tb927
    Free Member

Looks great, my black XL due late Feb apparently so nice to see these in the meantime. What size rear tyre is that?

vmgscot

@tb927 – rear is a 2.3 (on 30mm rim). Seems to be at least 10mm clearance ether side at the chainstay junction.

slowmover

Two things I have struggled with building up this bike:
    1. The headtube is 135 long in xl. Coupled with the type of headset(external cups) it means that you need at least 200mm on the steerer tube. Even then you are lw by about 8mm if you use the selcoff headset as suggested by on one.
    2. Rear disk brake caliper alignment. I am using 180mm rotors and xt 2 pot calipers. I cannot stop the outside pad rubbing against the disk. I have tried pushing out the caliper as much as the slotted bolt holes will allow. Now thinking about using a different caliper. I have the el cheapo shimano calipers as an alternative.

vmgscot

@slowmover – any pics of your brake setup. I only have 160 rotor with an old Hope mono mini caliper. I was looking at using a 180 rotor I have but I can’t see how to squeeze the 180 mount in and still access the mounting bolts.

On my large frame (120 headtube) I have 200mm steerer but that is with 30mm of spacers under the stem. I am using a Superstar headset.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

. I was looking at using a 180 rotor I have but I can’t see how to squeeze the 180 mount in and still access the mounting bolts.

That’s not a major issue, 180mm on a magura Mt caliper and the rear most bolt is a bit awkward to access but certainly do-able, there’s more awkward bolts to get at.

If I manage to actually get out of the house over the next few days I’ll get some photos up.

steve_b77
    Free Member

On the bogo build, are the wheels tubeless?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That’s a 180mm rotor but, looking at the photos I can’t help but think the adapter is the wrong way around.

Also sorry its dark, but you know, winter.

slowmover

IMG_20200102_192544
    IMG_20200102_200006
    IMG_20200102_195903
    IMG_20200102_195856
    FRANKENDOG with spacers moved on boost conversion kit to facilitate caliper. Agree with above although space is tight a 180 rotor adapter fits. May be better to remove wheel to get more leverage when tightening.

vmgscot

Thanks for pics, the 180 adaptor I have in the spares box is a Hope one (Type L) that wants to move the caliper backwards – no chance. Both yours look like simpler solutions.

slowmover

At long last the big dog is operational. Took it for a quick spin. Steering feels very heavy. Current stem on xl is 60mm. I have a 35mm stem in the spares box. So will give that a go. I had the saddle in the middle of the seat post. I am thinking of pushing it back a bit. Maybe I am just used to more old fashioned geometry?

JackHammer

Do we reckon one of these will fight in the back? My rims at the moment are Pacenti Dl31s. With outer width of 31mm, and inner bead width of 26mm. Otherwise I’ll order a 2.3″ one.

yemi16n5
    Free Member

Do we reckon one of these will fight in the back? My rims at the moment are Pacenti Dl31s. With outer width of 31mm, and inner bead width of 26mm. Otherwise I’ll order a 2.3″ one.

I reckon that 2.4 WT DHR should be fine.

vmgscot

So that’s me managed a few rides now on my new Big Dog and I must say I am liking it. I don’t know if it is the frame design/material/fit or the big 29r wheels but it feels comfier (compliant) than the Ti456 it replaces – a definite bike I can ride all-day. I am 6ft2 on a large with 60mm stem.

I have tweaked the DVO fork a little and like it’s feel now. It’s my first air fork in a while and at 140mm it was supposedly too long for the bike. However, by running slightly over-sagged and adding a drop of oil for progression it actually ended up feeling good to me – plush and controlled over the repeated roots of my local Drumlanrig.

Things to change – jury’s out on the Goma front tyre but the wet roots have been a little testing for any tyre past couple weeks so I will wait and see. Am having to get a correct diameter dropper as running a spare inside a shim isn’t working out.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘On-one Big Dog or…’ is closed to new replies.