Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)
  • On-one Big Dog or…
  • jimdubleyou

So… frame pre-order is live…

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOBD/on-one-big-dog-29-mountain-bike-frame

Guessing it’s going to be similar money for a GX build to the Scandal (£1200 ish), I like the orange.

The last hardtail I bought was a 26er – Persuade me this sort of geometry is going to be ok for heading off into the mountains and hitting natural trails for a few days or should I save some more pennies and go for the titanium Mutsu (£1900)?

Aware that the Bootzipper exists, but I definitely want a suspension fork…

JackHammer

I’m in a similar position. I bought this a few years ago and I’m wondering/deciding if I want to do a frame/wheel swap or just get the full build.

Looks sexy in orange though doesn’t it.

rOcKeTdOg

Through axle doesn’t come with it?

brant
    Free Member

Through axle doesn’t come with it?

That’s correct

kazafaza
    Free Member

Does it require the 1,5 TPI axle? What length would be best please?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I wondered if this was coming when I saw the axles on the website but no bike to go with them.

How does this work again….BrantBrantBrant, er, Brant?

or long rigid only fork if you want.

How long is long, if it’s rigid? I can do 490 in carbon, 530 in aluminium.

How long will the pre-order special price go for?

thanks

wzzzz
    Free Member

wot, no £100 preorder discount code as per scandal?

lcj

Needs at least £100 discount so I can afford the new hub 🙁

Are any of these new frames going to be non-boost for those of us with serviceable but unfashionable parts, Brant or shall I give up hope?!

wzzzz
    Free Member

@lcj I hear the bootzipper 650b will be 100/142.

But you can just use the boost adapter kit of a rotor spacer and bolts and two 3mm axle spacers to fit your current wheels. PX sell one and loads on eBay.

lcj

Thanks wzzz. Hadn’t been able to find an adaptor for old hope Pro 2s (non evo) before now, are you talking about this one: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSAS12RWBAK6/ashima-142x12mm-6-bolt-rear-hub-to-boost-adaptor-kit

Any idea if that works with pro 2s? If it does then I thank you Wzzz and retract my slightly grumpy comment, Brant!

wzzzz
    Free Member

Should work so long as the wheel is set up 142×12. You can get a kit for the front too if you get some new boost forks. Bit of a faff if you take the wheels out regularly, maybe a blob of glue or tape at assembly time will stop the axle spacers rolling under the fridge when removing the wheel.

Brant – commission to usual account, ta 😉

fudge9202
    Free Member

Seriously no pre order discount Brant, are the Steel lovers being discriminated against 😀

bonzodog
    Free Member

Was interested in this,

…Until I spotted the On-One Current Project page (3/ Ti Inbred 29 Evo – 29er 120mm fork , big tyres)

Hmm. I wonder how long it will be before this project becomes reality?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’m guessing that is discounted, since the early word was in would be significantly more costly than the aluminium scandal.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Also, is it my imagination or is it a straight headtube?

cp

Also, is it my imagination or is it a straight headtube?

Yeah, straight 44mm by the look of it which is nice as it gives plenty of options

JackHammer

why do you have to but the axle separate? Seems very bizarre.

brant
    Free Member

why do you have to but the axle separate? Seems very bizarre.

Ryanair pricing system.

weeksy

because most people buying a frame will already have one in the frame they’re getting rid of ?

But yes… seems weird.

brant
    Free Member

because most people buying a frame will already have one in the frame they’re getting rid of ?

But yes… seems weird.

Won’t fit though in most cases.

Main reason is axles come from different supplier and we aren’t working the stock on arrival to combine.

wzzzz
    Free Member

@weeksy but they are seemingly different lengths and thread tpi for every frame, so you are are always going to need one.

£21 for one when buying a frame is a bit…. RyanAir

Like PX’s postage is never free unlike everyone else’s.

Expect to have to pay extra for paint and decals as the very last stage at the checkout after entering payment details next week.

jimdubleyou

Main reason is axles come from different supplier and we aren’t working the stock on arrival to combine.

But you are doing full builds? (Asking because I want one…)

JackHammer

Fair enough Brant.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is it just me that can’t find the axle? Also am I misremembering or has it gone up by £40 already?

JackHammer

yeah had one in the basket, axle is now “free” frame is now £275… interesting.

Betamax
    Free Member

I put a frame and an axle in my basket (£233 + £21) and after giving myself a brief cooling off period, frame is now showing as £275 and description of axle has disappeared but is showing as free. Laurel and Hardy picture still showing.

I’m now struggling to commit as I will feel like I’ve lost £42

Could Brant Brant Brant please confirm that for the extra £42 I would receive an axle not just a print of aforementioned comedy duo act?

brant
    Free Member

Don’t buy anything yet.

bonzodog
    Free Member

“Don’t buy anything yet.”

“They cannot even be bothered to take proper photographs. They’ll probably go rusty too. Infact they definitely will. Avoid – Do not buy one.”

All this reverse psychology makes my brain hurt.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Don’t buy anything yet.

You are my wife and I claim my 5 pounds

fudge9202
    Free Member

Pic up on Instagram now

brant
    Free Member

No. That’s a Bootzipper.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/s?q=Bootzipper

Code UNZIP gets you £200ish off a bike or £100 off a frame.

Big Dog bike and discounts launched tomorrow.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers Brant I think I need to visit Specsavers 😂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

BrantBrantBrant – can you give any details on chainring size clearance chainline etc for the big dog.

Also rigid forks – acceptable lengths etc

Cheers.

montgomery
    Free Member

Geometries (angles, tube lengths) on the Big Dog (130mm travel fork) and 29er Bootzipper (440mm AC rigid fork) look pretty much identical. What am I missing?

brant
    Free Member

Geometries (angles, tube lengths) on the Big Dog (130mm travel fork) and 29er Bootzipper (440mm AC rigid fork) look pretty much identical. What am I missing?

Someone’s messed up the spec csv file.

montgomery
    Free Member

Ok. Can’t remember, are you offering up a matching fork for the 29″ Bootzipper? The 440mm AC figure suggests you could use a suspension corrected 26″ fork like the current On-One model – is that right?

brant
    Free Member

Ok. Can’t remember, are you offering up a matching fork for the 29″ Bootzipper? The 440mm AC figure suggests you could use a suspension corrected 26″ fork like the current On-One model – is that right?

The £225 deal with code UNZIP gets you frame, fork, axles.

Yes. It’s a 440 rigid with bosses and a through axle.

I’ll dig out the right geometry when I’ve got my pants on.

brant
    Free Member

loads of clearance for a 32t chainring even at a 50mm chainline. Boost will move it out. Suspect a 36t might even fit, but not in the spec.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘On-one Big Dog or…’ is closed to new replies.