Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Oldest kit you still use today?
  • boobs

All my ground effect merino tops and 3/4 shorts, must be late 90’s. I was going to write a mail complaining the zip toggle had fallen off.

bentudder

Endura tights from ~1995 that my girlfriend at the time have me. The chamois came out years ago and the ankle zip pulls have been replaced with paracord, but I just wear them over bibs when it gets really cold.

I just reinstalled an Avid Rollamajig on my Process 111 (2014) after respraying it. It fixes the rear mech cable feed perfectly. I think I bought it from Sunset in Cardiff in 1995 or 6ish. It’s not been in continuous use, but I wish they’d kept making them, or something similar. I now have more bikes than Rollamajigs. 🙁

vmgscot

Dualco mini grease gun – early 90s

reluctantjumper

A pair of Park cable cutters, bought in 1998. Lost the spring between the arms when 5 years old but it still works. I did buy a replacement for it about 10 years ago but that disappeared in a move so went back to the old ones that had been retired to cutting any old random crap so have been abused but they still cut cables cleanly!

scuttler

Icebreaker long sleeve Merino c. 2003. I’ll cry if this ever gets lost or ends up in the tumble dryer.

Endura Singletrack shorts (1st gen??), c. 2008.

Karrimor Hot Rock rucksack c. 1993.

susepic

I’ve got a duofold base layer that I bought in 1995 and still gets worn regularly.

Bought in Field and Trek in Guildford in 98. would love another.

Karrimor Hot Rock rucksack c. 1993.

Got one from 84, bought in open spaces brighton when i was a fresher

sillysilly
    Free Member

23 Yr old Zaskar frame with 21 Yr old Marzochi Z4’s. Both still work a treat.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

A 1990 Podsac Bum/Hip pack. It still looks like new.

twrch
    Free Member

I use some “Terry’s spanners” for wheel cone nuts (they’re a little thicker than the Park Tool ones I have, and don’t get so chewed up). No idea how old they are, many decades at least.

My everyday road bike is nearly as old as me, dating from the late 80’s. It’s a Saracen Skyline, would probably be called a gravel bike these days. It can take a hammering, and might outlast me.

whatgoesup

The cranks on my singlespeed were bought in 2003, have been used more or less continuously and are still going strong.

I do have a lot of my grandfathers woodworking and general tools, some of which I still use occasionally – no idea how old but some of them must be 70-80 years old ish.

desperatebicycle

Camelbak Rogue in blue & grey. First Camelbak I bought, has outlasted all my other backpacks and is ideal size for the riding I do… maybe a little too small. Pretty sure it’s circa 2000

twonks

I still use my Shimano M-220 shoes very occasionally.
    Had them since new in 1999.

They are tatty now and the fabric is coming away from the sole so try not to use them. Would pay good money to have them brought back to life but I fear most would laugh if I asked such a thing in a cobblers.

bentudder

Dualco mini grease gun – early 90s

Good one, @vmgscot! I think I’ve got one (again – Sunset cycles as a stoodent) and another from ’98ish that Pace sold with their fork grease in it for RC35s. Bloody brilliant bits of kit. One’s now filled with liquid gasket, the other with PM500(?) – the blue grease Hope uses. I expect to leave one to each of the kids in my will eventually…

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got three pairs of Shimano M959 pedals, the oldest of which must be coming up for 20 years soon. Still as smooth as ever. And I recently recently rediscovered an old pair of Assos bibs that are around 15 years old and they’ve jumped to the top of my bibs list.

wheelsonfire1

Some excellent Polaris clothing and kit bags they kindly donated for Macmillan Mexico Coast to Coast in 1999, An Orange Gringo – still my only mountain bike – 40th birthday present in 2000, only the hammered frame original though!
    Ah, I forgot, some of my Great Uncle Arthur’s tools! He had a bicycle and radio repair shop in Chesterfield and his wife had a sweet shop behind. I inherited his tools including all his taps and dies and measuring tools. Some threads still current today you young un’s!

timmys

I regularly ride a bike that I got for my 13th birthday. I’m 44.
    Every part of the drive train, and every bearing, is original.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I regularly ride a bike that I got for my 13th birthday. I’m 44.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I now have more bikes than Rollamajigs.

I managed to get one on eBay last year before the German seller evidently gave up selling to the UK, perfect for mounting an M7000 rear mech to a Specialized pitch as it turns out.

baggsie
    Free Member

A non branded stem cap from ~2002 that came off my first proper MTB – a spesh. Rockhopper – it’s been on all my bikes since.

dday

I too have a Topeak JoeBlow 15 odd years still going strong. Have just purchased one of those Airshot canisters though. Multitool must be about the same age too.

kiwijohn

I’ve got a Rock Shox Skully Rocketman windbreaker from the mid 90’s still in regular service,
    It was pointed out to me on the weekend that they were pretty rare even when new. Might have to patch up some of the holes in it now.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve a pair of adidas DH shorts which must be coming up to 15yrs old…. But mainly because they don’t get used much as they aren’t particularly pedaling friendly.

Bits on the bike aren’t older than 2yrs…..

Some Tools prob, around 20yrs.

beamers

Not in regular use admittedly but it’s still in my toolbox:

The “multi-tool” which came with my burgundy 15 speed Raleigh Maverick back in the mid / late 80’s.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Oldest regularly used cycling clothes are some wool,Campag, tights bought from Barry Davies shops in 1983. I had just bought my new Raleigh Competetiton (still ridden monthly at least) so needed something. Real Chamois long gone though. Possibly my leather/crochet mitts are a bit older thinking about it.
    Bikes. Lots. 1950 trikes x 3, 1st year of manufacture Moulton. Pre WW2 Dawes.Several 198s steel frames and MTBs. Anything this century isn’t really old is it?

teamslug
    Free Member

I have been out today with my eggbeater 3ti pedals that I bought in 2006. Came across receipt for them day having a clear out. Never had a problem with them.

davy-g
    Free Member

still riding the Fort William Downhill track on my old 2007 Trek Session 10 that is fitted with 2002 Marzocchi Shiver DC forks…..

mrmoofo

Hope V2 brakes – must be from 2009
    XT Cranks – 2007
    SLX cranks – 2009

Andy-R

1988 Kona Explosif. Or in the tool line, a little hand-made hammer that was used by my late father and given to him by his uncle.
    Probably around 100 years old.

bikerevivesheffield

Park tools triple hex wrench, bought when I was 15, 28 years ago. Use it every day in the workshop!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Oldest kit you still use today?’ is closed to new replies.