Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Oldest kit you still use today?
  • midlifecrashes

Not counting knees, what outdated stuff do you still use on or around the bikes? Prompted by my son saying my workstand belonged in a museum yesterday.

Wheel trueing stand

zippykona

My Parrot bike shirt is 23 years old ,worn every day and still going strong.

nixie

I have a similar looking wheel stand. Nice and sturdy.

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’ve got some Asos bibshorts that I bought about 12 years ago. Still going strong now. Think my Fox gloves are about the same age

dyna-ti

I’ve a set of gloves that have to be about 25 years old. Ripped to bits, but they ‘originally’ came with really thick soft gel on the palms, and i suffer a bit from numb hands after too long a ride. I still use them but i have to wear a pair of thin long fingered gloves underneath.
    They’ll fall apart if i ever wash them, so they havent been washed in at least ten years.

razorrazoo

Flite saddle on my gravel bike dates back to 1996 ish.

weeksy

Multitool, maybe 8 years old.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve still got a chain tool I brought 46 years ago.

davespike1981

Claud butler steel ‘gravel bike’ approx 1956, well i use it on gravel trails anyway

trailwagger
    Free Member

Joe Blow track pump thats over 20 years old and still going strong

franksinatra

Multitool, maybe 8 years old.

That is basically brand new.

Lava Dome – 28ish years old
    Buffalo Special 6 shirt – 27 years old
    Ron Hill Tracksters – at least 30 years old
    Edinburgh Bike Co-op Track Pump – 15 years old

ac282

I’ve got an old triplet which looks like it must be from the 70s or 80s but my kids aren’t tall enough for it yet.

My oldest kit in regular use is my cool tool from about 1995. Having a multitool with an adjustable spanner is still handy for my old tandem.

The oldest part on my MTB is a Ti King cage from 2009.

kayla1
    Free Member

OH’s dad gave us a mahoosive Blair 6″ vice, one of these-

https://sheffieldtooling.co.uk/browse-by-category/workholding/vices/engineering-vices/blair-heavy-duty-engineers-vice-6/

It was probably liberated from the pit BITD.

I’ve still got a chain tool I brought 46 years ago.

Where did you bring it from?

jimmy

I bought a second hand pair of Endura ST shorts from here 11 years ago. The seam completely split shortly afterwards, they were sewn back together and still going strong. I know 11 years isn’t ancient, for a pair of shorts it’s pretty good!

allanoleary
    Free Member

Forgot about my original Topeak Alien. That must be old enough to drink now

hot_fiat

Silca track pump, only very recently retired due to its low capacity. Bought in 1992.

Polaris windproof smock. Possibly dates from <1991. @lister and I did a bike tour around the lakes before either of us could drive & I had it then.

Granddad’s Thor Ali/Nylon soft faced hammer – used for thwacking things into submission. It was well used when I found it in his shed & he died in 1980.

Edit: Oh, and his AVO meter, which still gets used to check batteries. 1939.

pitduck
    Free Member

97 Kona cinder-cone with 1999 z1s and 2000 Time Atac 2002 Shimano hydro brakes, 2005 Cotic-soul, with 2002 Fox vanillas. In fact, don’t think I’ve got anything under ten years old

pipm1
    Free Member

A Shimano M765 front brake system, probably 15 to 20years old. On my brand new Cotic SolarisMax. 😀

paule
    Free Member

I think the oldest thing in frequent use is a 1993, purple annodized, chain pup multi tool. Still going strong in the bar bag of my commuting bike although I have had to tack weld the allen key back together. Also got a Lowe Alpine bumbag from about the same year, purple and green for full ’90s cool points, which gets used for fell running and for carrying my big bike lock or climbing boots on the bike.

Up until relatively recently, it was a 1989 left hand SIS thumb shifter but all my bikes other than the tandem are 1x now so it’s redundantly sitting the spares box along with various front mechs.

I’ve also got my grandfather’s tool chest from when he was in the merchant navy in WW2, and a King Dick compact adjustable spanner which came with it but I think is a tad newer. Neither sees much use but aren’t going anywhere!

prawny

I’ve got a duofold base layer that I bought in 1995 and still gets worn regularly.

It’s by far the best piece of technical clothing I’ve ever had for use in British weather (mild and damp). I’d like another one but I’ve never seen them since.

enigmas
    Free Member

On my bike, not much. After 3000 miles on my S-150 there’s nothing outside the suspension, dropper and one crank arm that’s from stock.

Tool wise, I have a rachet wrench that my Dad ‘borrowed’ on his last day in the dockyard he worked at. Was made in 1962 and still works great.

StirlingCrispin

Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag on my utility bike was bought in 1995 (26 years ago!).

Unfortunately much of my clothing has shrunk since then.

Northwind

Since i retired my 90s Carrera Krakatoa, it’s a camelbak from 2008. Or some altura shorts from about the same time but I have 3 pairs of those and I don’t know if any of them are the original pair.

Murray

My dad’s metric spanners from the late 1970s or if we’re allowing less personal, my Record 23 vice

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Pace jersey from 1994. Still going strong

Felco cable cutters from the same year.

zerocool

A pair of Burgtec MK1 Penthouse Flats that I got when they first came out. Recently retired them to the commuter this spring and fitted some Mk5s.

Probably got some SPDs from around the Millenium that are still used now and again.

And a set of original Molegrips from the 50s that were in my grandad’s workshop. They get used all the time

chiefgrooveguru

“Forgot about my original Topeak Alien. That must be old enough to drink now”

I’ve got one of those in my pack, bought it in 2001! Still my default multitool. Also a retired Buffalo S6 Shirt (stored in the car for emergencies) from 1994, and some Ron Hill Tracksters from about the same time (still used when it’s cold enough). I’ve got a saddlebag that’s a bit older but it doesn’t fit with the long dropper posts.

swavis

Probably my Time Z Freeride pedals, they’ll outlast us all I tell ya!

freeagent
    Free Member

Combi Spanners and Bondhus hex keys i bought in the late 80s.

I’ve got a couple of record bench vices which are older than me (I’m 48)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

15 years old Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals still going strong, the Shimano shoes bought at same time might be getting their last few weeks of use on the commutes.

matt_outandabout

1994 Lowe Alpine bum bag/  fanny pack / enduro sling / paddle grab bag. In purple and green. 8)

Like this bad boy, only a red/maroon kind of purple.

ads678

I’ve got a pair of Endura shorts that I think I bought in about 2004 . Not sure which model but they’re brown camo and very thick material. Zip has been replaced but otherwise still in good condition.

Atomizer

1998 WTB SST 98 saddle. Got two but both are going strong, though well scuffed. Best shape ever for me.

tonyd

1993 Kona Cinder Cone which still gets used weekly at least (tyres, brakes and saddle aren’t original)
    15+ year old Time ATAC pedals which I’ll be using tonight (and a spare pair in the draw!)
    Built my road bike in 2008
    Couple of pairs of 12 year old Campag bib shorts that have been demoted to turbo duties
    20 year old Joe Blow track pump died last Thursday – replacement ordered yesterday
    15 year old Gore windproof jacket, still going strong

Endless stuff in the garage that gets used less frequently. Basically, other than the new MTB (replaced a 10 year old one) and a few bits of clothing, everything I own is older than my kids.

Kuco

Bike-wise probably a pair of what must be a 30-year-old pair of Shimano cable cutters.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I have a Nike Makalu waistpack from mid-90s that was hardly used. Looks minty.

And this thingummy that I use as a headset press, bought from an 80+ yr old cycle mechanic:

And that bike, which I use as a road bike, fetching and carrying and touring implement (also bought from an 80+ yr old cycle mechanic, albeit a different one!)

– Thingummy is indeterminate age (not yet carbon-dated) handbuilt in Worcester
    – Bike is circa 1989 handbuilt in Powys, collected from Surrey.

(Please don’t give me any shit about lawn/garden or DIY, I get it)

ransos
    Free Member

Deore DX spds, from I think 1992. They need a firm press to engage but do still work. I also have a Lusso fleece headband I won in a junior XC race, of about the same vintage.

towzer

Just been for a bimble with the mrs, 2005 orange 5, 2007 Spec myka, still on onza pedals, inc on my ebike.

roballison

Topeak joe blow from about 2005/6 and just semi retired my Sam Hill signature 510’s- the ones with croc skin detailing!
    Classy

Richie_B

Asos bibshorts that I bought about 12 years ago. Still going strong now

I’ll raise you to 18 years, although they are still going is true used in my context strong has never come into it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Oldest kit you still use today?’ is closed to new replies.