Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Older hifi separates: any value in them?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Not analogue old, but specifically a Kenwood CD separate (good one, not entry level)?

Prices seem particularly rubbish on eBay. Is there any market for them or are they barely above carboot sale status?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had some Cambridge Audio stuff around 4 years ago that I couldn’t shift. eBayed them in the end…did ok, but they went for a song really. 😐

AlexSimon

I think with old stuff, it has to be the fairly timeless musical ones.
    Nad 3020
    Naim Nait 3

That sort of thing – it’s probably a pretty short list with only the occasional standout piece of japanese hifi in there (especially ones that can be modded) like the Pioneer A400.

Ones that people remember because they outstayed their peers.

Stoner
    Free Member

mmm, thats what I was thinking.

ah well £20 on eBay it will have to be. Having a cathartic de-clutter.

No idea how everyone still owns any of their childhood toys? I clear most of my stuff out every five years or so! 🙂

(mind you Mrs S has some great old toys that were her elder (much) brother’s with pictures of golliwogs and all!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine went quite well on Ebay, but the best bit was doubling my money on a Rega Planar 3 I bought used 15 years ago!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes shame really still using my 20 year old amp- no need to upgrade till i can afford gold magnatised polarised directional cable

cb

I have a Pioneer A400X in the garage – been boxed up for years. Is the suggestion that it could be worth something?

GJP
    Free Member

The Pioneer A400 amps go for good money on e-bay. IIRC £100-140. Well worth taking a look at the closing prices.

cb

Thanks – will give it a try!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Could be worth a look at some of the more tweaky hi-fi forums to sell the A400 as well as e-bay. There are as mentioned a few japanese classics that can command a premium, can’t remember any being made by Kenwood though.

As far as Naim goes the Nait 3 isn’t regarded as a classic in the same terms as the Nait 1 or 2 is. Still made a 50% profit on my Nait 2, but kind of wish I’d held onto it now. Peter, I think I’ve got a Planar 3 in the loft 🙂 And an LP12 chassis which I was given but don’t have the money to sort out 🙁 Plus I haven’t got room in the flat for my records anymore 🙁

Cougar

avforums.com has a classified section.

I keep meaning to try and flog my Yamaha AV receiver; postage costs will probably be more than it’s worth though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to buy one of them little Mission Cyrus amps cheap for work, but they are fetching reasonable prices for a 20-25yo amp.

RichPenny
    Free Member

One of my friends designed some of those Cyrus integrated amps. He’s only about 40 though, so probably not the 1 or 2 that you’d be looking at 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Rich can you sort out my CD player for me please? Marantz CD67SE. Is no work. Lights come on, disc spins on insertion but then stops and ‘No CD’ on display. 🙁

RichPenny
    Free Member

I could google it elfin, probably be the laser mech. Can you get it to me by vayn or something?

This bit is the most likely cause

Don’t know if we have any CDM12 mechs at work lying around. And if we do if they have custom S/W on or not. Email me 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got a cyrus 1 amp cracking bit of kit sodding heavy for something the size of a shoe box. have a soft spot for old hifi if only i had more room.

As others have said its those classic pieces of kit with that extra something that fetch good money. The also rans make great bargains.
    A bit like the retro bike thing an old pace or kona might go for daft money but a perfectly good giant of same age and spec would be struggling to find a buyer.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No it’s ok, it’s ok; just tried it, and it works. Ran a cleaning CD on it and it’s fine. 🙂

Bit weird.

The ‘music’ supplied on the CD is not good. 😐

Well that’s a relief I must say; proper nice CD player, that.

Thanks for having a look for me though Rich, appreciated.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Damn, was just looking at some mods for it 🙂 If it ever needs sprucing up there’s a few things that can be done easily 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you want to mess about with it, then you can. 🙂

I also have a CD63SE. Only problem is getting them to you. 😕

boblo
    Free Member

Is this the ‘repair old hifi’ thread? 🙂

I’ve got a cd 65II that keeps reporting ‘disc error’ when fed. Everything wirrs and whizzs, lights on etc… What can I do Mr? (I do know a mayn with a vayn as well :-> )

GJP
    Free Member

RichPenny – I also have an old but perfectly working Marantz CD 63SE, one of my 3 CD players. One of course is a Naim. What ideas do you have for Sprucing up these older Marantz players? Gary

csb

And if there’s a way of making a Cyrus DAD3 Q24 CD player whose buttons have stopped working work again I’d be interested.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone want two Cambridge Audio power amps and a preamp, suitable for bi-amping? 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

want as in for free?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I want you to tell me what you’ll give me for them 🙂

(not really selling tho yet – I want to replace them with something that’ll sound as nice and play movies and be small, but that looks like costing me three grand 🙁 )

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I will give you much love for them, Mol,

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t soliciting for prostitution against forum rules? 🙂 I’ve already said you can have my old camera anyway, but you probly don’t want it…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WANT IT!

Will go into my collection of old cams. I’ll probbly use it too. Might one day use it to teach tography to others.

And I’m not a prostitute. How dare you suggest such a thing? 😯

A slut, maybe, but even I have my scruples….

molgrips
    Free Member

The battery’s dead mind…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run a Cyrus II in The bedroom. Hums like a mother****er. Also hot some Kytes.

I’d love a set of Icons if anyone has some spare.

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – I have a boxed Cyrus 1 amp sitting in my attic that I never seemed to get round to selling. Mail me if interested.

StuF

Mine old kit has just gone on ebay and it proves that some has a bit of value and the rest you can’t give away – but it was taking up space.

here

Stoner
    Free Member

like the arcam, but I dont need an amp as I have nice kenwood powering some tannoys for the TV.

well if anyone wants a kenwood cd (DR-5020) with manual and remote, let me know before I stick it up on eBay and I can do an STW bargin.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Old hi-fi is worth even less than 1st generation full suspension MTBs.

Which is great when you want to buy some – I bought an amazing Rotel set up with two big monoblock power amps, preamp, high-end CD player, tuner, Triangle speakers and custom made leads/speaker cables.

When it was new, in the late 90s, it would have been just over £3k. I paid £100 from the local free ads!

Sounds fantastic 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

At the risk of turning this into a Mission Cyrus appreciation thread….

My Cyrus II is still doing an admirable job driving Mission 761 speakers. Call me a ludite if you like but I’ve never really felt the need to “upgrade” as they still sound pretty damn good to my untrained ear. 🙂

geoffj

20 year old Marantz PM35 & Pair of Wharfedale Diamond 4 speakers used with the TV and iPod here. They were pretty low rent when new, but still sound much better than a lot of new iPod type dock stuff.

scruff
    Free Member

Depends what it is, hi-fi buffs know whats worth more for no reason ands will pay for it. I sold a 15yo Mission DAC for more than I paid for it.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

One of the best bargains you can pick up on ebay is the Arcam Alpha 8 amplifier. Easily one of the best amps of all time and can be had for peanuts (less than £150, sometimes much less). My Alpha 8 is still going strong after 16 years!! And it has had a lot of use.

My main system is knocking on a bit now but it sounds amazing.. NAD C370 amp (just had refit to make it like new by NAD), Denon DCD835 CD player.. Mission M74 speakers…

Why Kenwood? They are nothing special. They made a few good bargain amps, but they certainly weren’t in the same league as Arcam, NAD, or even Denon. Denon made some good amps…

Xylene
    Free Member

I have an Exposure Super XX at a mates house that I keep meaning to collect, he loves it and uses it everyday, I love it, but was away for years so let people take care of things for me.

Also have a set of B&W 605(?) floor standers with the kevlar cones – lovely they are.

I keep meaning to collect them back in, but they get more use with my mates than they will with me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I run a Cyrus II in The bedroom. Hums like a mother****er

Mechanically or electrically? Could be a loose transformer bolt or dodgy earth somewhere.

There’s plenty of info available online on the CD6xSE modding. Basics would be swopping out the op-amps in the O/P stage for better ones (with the same pinout, because I’m lazy!). I’d be replacing electrolytics at that sort of age as well. If you can wield a soldering iron with any sort of competence it’s worth a go.

Units that won’t read discs could, as Elfin discovered, simply require laser diode cleaning, especially if you’re a schmoker 😉 The laser mech in them can go faulty, or just require lubricating if you’re lucky. The decoder that controls the laser can die, but that isn’t as common. If the unit has been moved around a bit ribbon connectors can come loose as well.

The DAD3 buttons fault could be a few things similar to above, it can’t be complicated. Does it still work by remote? Haven’t seen the internals of those but would assume direct IR into the PIC with all buttons having a separate control line. If none of them work it could be the common supply rail on the display board or just a loose connector. Take it apart and have a look! Just unplug it first 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Older hifi separates: any value in them?’ is closed to new replies.