Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Old school rider v New school geometry advice
  • NormalMan

A bit of background first of all.

I’ve been MTBing since the mid 80s and have owned around 15 MTBs in that time. Most have been at the XC end of scale, although there were a couple of ‘slack for the time’ 26ers around 2012/13.

Last year my fleet of bikes (road/MTB/gravel/Fatbike) were stolen. I’ve spent the past year riding an all road/ gravel bike. Then during lockdown finished a gifted ‘97 Kona MTB.

Lockdown has also lead me back off-road more and more so thinking of an MTB again.

I’ve been interested in the new geometry LLS type of thing as it seems the direction the MTB world has gone.

So for anyone that has made a similar transition are there any particular tips regarding body position or riding style that makes the move over easy?

I know some of it is just down to riding it and adapting but if there is anything that is worth knowing then please share.

I’m thinking 29er (my last couple of MTBs were) with 120mm forks but slack(ish) HTA of around 65/66

Thanks STW

gkeeffe

keep your weight over the front…. you need to weight that front wheel and it’s much further ahead of you. There’s less chance of face planting than with a 71 deg head angle from the old days so you can ride it much more aggressively and be in the middle of the bike, rather than off the back..

MoreCashThanDash

Might keep an eye on this, my MK1 Soul does what I need but keep getting the urge to try something new…

joebristol

Mostly with the longer end of stuff it’s riding more aggressively – weight in the middle of the bike with arms bent at the elbows and really throw them into corners. Do that and they’ll reward you, but if you ride too far off the back (especially on steep stuff) the front wheel will be prone to wash out from underneath you.

I had a bit of coaching and since then it’s really clicked and I’m constantly thinking about what I’m doing / what I need to do to improve further (I’m very much in the intermediate skill level I think – I’m still not great on wet roots and steep tech stuff). With cornering it’s getting the weight on the outside pedal, but also pushing down on the bars with the inside arm and twisting your hips into the corner.

I’ve settled on 65-66 degree headangles to being where I’m happy, with short chainstays (425mm) and anmedium sort of reach. My fs is 457mm reach and the hardtail I’ve just ordered is 445mm reach.

I’m 5’9 with 32” leg and shorter arms – other people my height might prefer a longer reach figure.

kcal

Not sure if my modern MTBs are true LLS geometry, but I’m still kind of coming to terms with especially the front suspension one as regards riding style, too much weight backwards – not thinking aggressively enough (I think).

I have a ’95 Kona, it’s a great blast bike but takes me a few miles to readjust to the bars, geometry, wheels and general style. Once you dial into it though it’s a hoot (just like the more recent bikes).

ayjaydoubleyou

I’m thinking 29er (my last couple of MTBs were) with 120mm forks but slack(ish) HTA of around 65/66

thats pretty middle of the road these days (assuming you mean hardtail) and really is what bikes should have been all along.

proper long low slack things (150 plus suspension both ends, 64 head angles) dont seem like they’ll suit you unless you’re really going to change how and where you’re riding.

as Joebristol says, balance your weight and bend your arms, a nice neutral hartail will feel the most natural thing in the world after a few rides. if you find yourself with your weight right back behind the saddle and your elbows locked, you’re doing it wrong.

NormalMan

Thanks for all the feedback. Certainly enough for me to get going with at some stage.

Yes, it would a HT.

renton
    Free Member

I can relate to this.

One thing Ive really struggled with is steep seat angles and no longer needing your knee to be over the pedal spindle.

I used to have layback posts and felt really comfy on stuff with slacker seat angles.

Im slowly getting used to it and my leg muscles do cramp occasionally so I would say its something to consider.

epicsteve
    Free Member

All my mountain bikes are still 26″ wheeled although I am tempted to give 29″ a try, even though I still think they look stupid. Probably be with whatever Cotic 29er frame is most similar to my Soul if I do go down that route.

johnhe

The advent of the dropper post has complimented the new geometry really well. With the seat out of the way, it’s much more simple to move your centre of gravity where it needs to be. With modern geo, it’s amazing how far forward you can ride, even when descending. But on my first mtbs that wasn’t a choice, because once you got your rear end over the rear wheel, it was a fair amount of effort to get it back over the centre of the bike without whacking yourself in the biscuits.

ampthill

My not that slack but modern bike is just better and easier to ride right down to really slow. The steeper seat Angie is brilliant. My last bike wss 11 years old

It might be I’ve been to conservative but for the moment I’m really happy. I’ve only ridden it locally so far. But it is definitely better on steep stuff as well

ajantom

One thing Ive really struggled with is steep seat angles and no longer needing your knee to be over the pedal spindle.

I used to have layback posts and felt really comfy on stuff with slacker seat angles.

Personally (and this is only my opinion) I think that seat angles have gone too steep.

I absolutely love my DMR Trailstar and it has a HA of about 65.5/66 degrees (depends on fork length and front tyre – with my current set up it’s 65.5), and seat angle of 72.

I’m 6ft and on the XL, was able to size up due the really low stand over height. This gives loads of reach, and means you can really push forward into stuff.

I tried a HT with a steeper SA (74 afaik) and it didn’t feel right.
    On really steep uphill sections I can just shuffle forward on the seat a bit!

The thing on new geo bikes is riding forward and pushing into stuff.
    They benefit from a more aggressive riding style than bikes of yore.

I’ve been riding hardtails for 30 years (owned a couple of FS bikes, never really gelled) and the new breed of LLS hardtail bikes are a real step change.

*Edit – thought I’d clarify my point about steep SAs above.
    I think they make more sense on FS bikes, as the rear suspension compresses the angles don’t steepen up too much.
    However, on a hardtail when the fork compresses the angles steepen, and with a too steep SA you are pitched forward.
    Less of an issue with a dropper post, but IMHO the sweet spot is 72-73 degrees, no more.

kerley
    Free Member

I’ve been interested in the new geometry LLS type of thing as it seems the direction the MTB world has gone.

In may well be but all depends on where you ride and if those changes are for the better. I tried a bike with geometry similar to what you mention for 3 months last years and for the riding I do (very tame) it was just not the bike for it and I would have been better to have kept on old school geometry.

NormalMan

@kerley

Totally get what you are saying. I’d still be using those older school bikes had the thieves not had them away tbh.

But then BITD I was always quick to follow a trend (bar ends, Gripshift, suspension) so why not drag myself into the more trendy side of the world of MTB design.

I pushed the limits and beyond, of the remit my all road bike is designed for so need (ok, want) an MTB again.

BigJohn

I went from a Mk1 Soul to a Giant Trance 29. I got on it, rode it cautiously for a bit, thinking this is strange in a nice way and then went a bit faster.
    The main thing was my elbows and knees colliding on uphill switchbacks, which took all of 20 seconds to sort. I also found using the dropper became second nature where on the Soul it felt a bit forced to do it.
    And I’m an old dog learning new tricks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Old school rider v New school geometry advice’ is closed to new replies.