Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Office nonsense
  • BoardinBob

This is more of a LOL than a rant, but it’s certainly a bit of both…

Someone’s leaving the company. Now I’m of the opinion that if someone leaves, then colleagues that work in the same team are free to chip in and buy a leaving gift if they want. Personally I reckon passing an envelope around an entire office is a bit cheeky, especially when the person that’s leaving didn’t work with 95% of the people in the office.

Regardless, an envelope has been round the whole entire office and as it’s been passed around the tone has been very much “if you haven’t already put money in, do it” rather than “if you’d like to put some money in, please do so”

Anywho, it’s done the rounds and it turns out a fair bit of cash has been put in. Someone noticed there was almost enough to buy an iPad. Almost enough…

So the envelope has been passed round the office AGAIN with a request for more money so they can reach the necessary amount to buy said iPad for the person that’s leaving. 😆

Whoever’s leading the charge here has balls of steel. Solid balls of steel. In defence of the person that’s leaving, they’ve got nothing to do with it, but personally I reckon it’s cheeky as hell to ask people to stump up cash for someone they don’t know and no doubt people will put money in out of some misplaced sense of obligation due to peer pressure.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

An iPad for a leaving present?

I hope it’s either a very big office or someone that’s been there for a very long time!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Tell em to bollox.

BoardinBob

8 years. General employee. Maybe 100-ish employees here.

Haze

Office collections got out of control at my last place, they even had a whip round for a girl who’d passed her driving test.

alfabus
    Free Member

when it gets back to you, withdraw the amount that you originally put in.

not theft because it was your money.

nbt

a iPad? **** me, I didn’t even get a mousepad when I left my last job!

BoardinBob

Office collections got out of control at my last place, they even had a whip round for a girl who’d passed her driving test.

Our in-team stuff got out of hand too so I put a stop to it. It was a tenner a time for birthdays/ engagements/ weddings/ new homes. Some months you were stumping up £50 for people 😯

binners

40mpg

TBH if someone is leaving of their own accord, for a better job / more pay, unless its a close acquaintence I reckon they can get stuffed.

Retirement / maternity / redundancy I’m more than happy to contribute.

(Left my previous job a couple of months ago, got a case of cider which I was delighted with, probably £40 quids worth from 3 offices / 60 people – half of which are on notice now)

I hope you chucked in a hand full of copper

Tom-B
    Free Member

Threads like this make me glad that i’ve always been self employed! I don’t think that i’d flourish in an office environment!

binners

I don’t really get this either. I’ve always been self-employed/freelance so have always avoided this. I’m now regularly asked to put in for collections for people in other departments, I’ve never met, or even knew existed. Normally its people going off on maternity leave. You’re buying her a present? she’ll be back in 6 months?

Luckily I’m in a department with someone who’s the very dictionary definition of a grumpy old man. He sends them packing in the bluntest way possible, without the need of my involvement. They’ve stopped bothering asking now. Result! 😀

Cougar

Obligatory gift-giving? Ten quid? The mind boggles.

I’ll donate to collections based on who they are. If a “friend” is leaving then I’ll put in a decent amount, if I’ve never heard of them then I’ll scrape a few coppers together or just decline.

The first time I “have” to donate will be the last time I donate, voluntarily or otherwise.

Northwind

That’s class.

Back in the bank, my old team was disbanded over the course of 6 months. It took weeks of leaving collections for me to realise that I was going to be the last to leave, therefore, I was going to end up putting a fiver into about 40 collections, but by the time I left there’d be nobody else there so I’d only get a fiver in mine 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s terrible and not what I’d describe as pukka at all.

wrecker
    Free Member

“if you haven’t already put money in, do it”

“Nope”

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time I worked in a close office environment, they would just send cards around. If it was someone I didn’t know, I didn’t sign. I felt rather embarrassed when people I didn’t know or care about signed my own card.

patriotpro
    Free Member

alfabus – Member
    when it gets back to you, withdraw the amount that you originally put in.

😆

willard

We normally have that when someone goes. A card goes round and people throw money in. Generally, the amount of cash is proportional to the degree of knowing them/working with them, or seniority. I’m not sure that we’ve ever collected enough for an iPad for anyone leaving, ever and I don’t think any of the organisers would ever have the stones to put out the envelope for a second collection. That’s a bit on the nose.

Whenever I have a bad day at work I try to think of whether I’d get a decent leaving collection. I’ve been here nearly 9 years and know a lot of people here. Mind you, a lot of them would be glad to see me leave.

rocketman
    Free Member

In our office people are welcome to pass round as many envelopes as they wish

DezB
    Free Member

Some months you were stumping up £50 for people

I always put some cash in the envelope. But 100 events in a month? Wow!

scuzz
    Free Member

They’d have to get past the hounds to put an envelope on my desk

stumpy01

At the last place I worked, the card/collection system seemed to work on a lame office hierarchy system.

1) Busty PA to the MD got a card on her birthday, a card/collection when she got engaged & a card/collection when she got married. The ‘admin woman who does nothing’ must have bought her ‘wedding collection’ around about 4x per day at one point.
    2) Any admin/accounts/marketing person that left would get a card & a collection that would start up to 3 weeks before they left & be circulated on a daily basis.
    3) The engineers would get nothing arranged, unless one of them took the initiative.

All other collections were arranged through admin/hr but the end department were seen like a parasitic insect on the ass of the company & were pretty much Ignored.

When I left, a colleague deliberately went over the top & circulated my leaving card as often as he could. I was well chuffed, as they got me a £70 Amazon voucher that paid almost entirely for a 50mm 1.8 lens.

Northwind

Oh yeah… I used to work in a bank of scotland branch, at about the time the company started to disintegrate. Our regional manager quit to spend more time with his mistress, and so we had a whipround.

My branch managed a counterfeit 10p, a Bank of Scotland branded shirt button, an M8 washer, a smartie, a czech koruna, an antidepressant tablet, and a condom (opened). Nice to let people know they are appreciated.

Travis

An iPad? I would be upset

Sent from my Note 10.1

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My branch managed a counterfeit 10p, a Bank of Scotland branded shirt button, an M8 washer, a smartie, a czech koruna, an antidepressant tablet, and a condom (opened).

You sure that wasn’t just the result of one person emptying their pockets after an epic night out?

atlaz
    Free Member

I stopped getting involved at my last company. 200 people and there was a whip round for:

– birthdays
    – weddings
    – kids being born
    – leaving dos

then there was secret santa and the like. Looking at something like 250 whip rounds a year so more or less one a day.

In my team I got them to agree that if we were all going to donate to each other, each time it was someone elses birthday, put a fiver in your own draw. When it was your birthday, take it all out of your own draw as it’s the same thing.

johndoh
    Free Member

Being a pedant, yes it is theft because you have given the money to someone else and it is no longer your property.

andytherocketeer

iPad for a leaving prezzie is nuts. In the unlikely event that I ended up with one like that, or in one of the occasional prize draws, it would remain shrink wrapped for ever.

Fortunately around here it’s mostly just cards and maybe a fiver for important events (retirement, marriage, first born), and sometimes some cake or something.

xcgb
    Free Member

And then there is sponsorships! especially peoples bloody kids!

alfabus
    Free Member

yes it is theft because you have given the money to someone else and it is no longer your property

yeah, but then they gave it back 🙂

or, looked at another way, they invited you to reconsider the amount that you donated 😉

FWIW, when I left my last company, I got a £50 wiggle voucher (10 people in the office, was well chuffed with that! thanks guys!)

Dave

jota180
    Free Member

The great Eric Morecambe knew how to deal with the handed around envelope

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX93cC5hbTY[/video]

Kryton57

I sincerely hope and fully expect to get nothing if I ever leave. Thats is becuase the relationships in our office are:

a) You’re in the lick-ass group trying to get promoted
    b) You’re accepted into the “social” group with the good looking yet fake personility ridden bints.
    c) You just turn up for work and get paid and hope someone notices your effort and does something about it.

I’m in category C and hope to stay there. I was in B) but self exited as I couldn’t bear the fakeness of it all, and am not good enough politically speaking for a).

I like to think that if I actually left/got fired, no one would actually notice.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Binners.

Get with the times, Granddad.

boxfish
    Free Member

If I’ve not worked with them and/or they’re an eejit, my money stays put. I left my last job after 10 years and specifically stated “no leaving card etc, thanks”. I can’t be doing with all that. A few beers with those that count (that’s not the finance department) and I’ll be on my way. You end up keeping in touch with people that matter to you. All the rest is just noise.

dafoxster
    Free Member

I am happy to put some money if it is someone I know but a while back there was a ridiculous situation where a collection went round for somebody who had just had a baby. I am fine with that but I had never met the woman as I had just started and she had gone on maternity leave before I arrived. The collector was quite miffed when I and another new guy declined to contribute.

timc
    Free Member

weirdo office workers

messiah
    Free Member

psling
    Free Member

My branch managed a counterfeit 10p, a Bank of Scotland branded shirt button, an M8 washer, a smartie, a czech koruna, an antidepressant tablet, and a condom (opened).

Made me chuckle. Years ago (in the 70s!) I was given a pack of cheese sandwiches about 2 weeks past use by date and a packet of condoms when I left a job. To be fair, they were in a lovely leather attache case (which I still Have)!

Personally, I’ll give if I know them and an amount depending on how well I get on with them.

mega
    Free Member

cough up

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Office nonsense’ is closed to new replies.