Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Office (Excel to be precise) for Mac?
  • monksie
    Free Member

Could anybody point me in the right direction on how to get Office installed on my daughter’s brand new Mac Book Pro? Best part of £2k with insurance and guarantees and she still wants more!
    For the record, I have no idea how to do it and I have more interest in cars than I do in computers and I can barely tell one car from another.
    Thanks

footflaps

If the MBP has a DVD drive, just buy the Office for MAC DVD and shove it in the drive. If not, you need to buy a USB DVD driver and use that.

You can get an Office install file as a tar ball which you could put on a USB stick to install, but I think that’s mainly for corporate use (at work I just install from a server with every variant of Office ever made on it as single install files).

EDIT: Or just download it from here: https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Download-and-install-Office-using-Office-365-for-business-on-your-PC-or-Mac-72977511-dfd1-4d8b-856f-405cfb76839c

AdamW
    Free Member

You can buy Office365 for a mac too. It doesn’t come with all the programs for a PC, however.

seosamh77
    Free Member

http://products.office.com/en-gb/compare-microsoft-office-products recurring licence.

http://www.coastalsoftware.co.uk/home-student-1-install-321?fee=9&fep=210&utm_source=plafeed&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=uk&gclid=CjwKEAjw4-SrBRDP483GvreDr2ASJAD5sCIu_CIVa7kc_vTPrmDCIdCXk3bkBtNr1mPp8hG40YewJxoCUUrw_wcB – one off fee. (old version)

https://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php free, but not real office, it’ll work, generally though(she’ll just need to be careful what she saves things as, if working between, real office and neooffice.).

Three_Fish
    Free Member

365 is available as a download. Is she studying? She might get it for free while she studies.

If the MBP has a DVD drive…

Not for a couple of years.

househusband

Is she still at school..? Might be able to get Office for free; pupils in Scotland can.

mbydmt
    Free Member

As said above, it’s a nice easy download online from the microsoft website, if she is in education she should be able to get it free through her institute. If not you can get a free month trial anyway for her to try it out!

monksie
    Free Member

Not in education. It’s for work. Well, she’s doing some consultancy work……kind of…..in the music business…
    I have no idea what drives etc are. Sorry if I’m a bit computer dim but I am where I am.
    I’ve bought her a 15″ Mac Book Pro with Retina Display for her 18th. She gets it tomorrow. Not a day too soon apparently. She’s got to have a heap of work done by Monday.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have 365 on my Air, works perfect, bought the code form Apple and downloaded it..

Simple as, simple is..

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you everybody. Now I can talk to her with some authority on the subject and she’ll not think I’m as dumb as she thinks I am.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Whilst I wouldn’t recommend it, simply because in my work it wouldn’t cut it, open office will do that vast majority of tasks for most people.

And it’s free

footflaps

Apples own Office clone (Pages, Numbers and something else) does all the basic stuff and is free….

johndoh
    Free Member

Or look at the Google Docs stuff – perfectly usable for most everyday tasks.

kcal

monksie, I bought the Mac: Office suite for work a couple or more years ago. I think it came as a DVD but even then the MBP didn’t have a aDVD drive and my external DVD drive said no – so I downloaded it and it was fine…

Can’t recall where I bought it from – online but not, I think, from Microsoft.

unsponsored
    Free Member

software4students.co.uk cheapest and legal. download from net.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

As mentioned above, unless she specifically needs Office/Excel, the Mac OS has its own spreadsheet/database/tables/charts/etc. software in the form of the Numbers application. Pages covers Word duties; Keynote covers Powerpoint.

revs1972
    Free Member

The cheapest MBP still has a SuperDrive built in BTW

mikewsmith
    Free Member

unsponsored – Member
    software4students.co.uk cheapest and legal. download from net.

Unless you are using the home/student version for work in which case you are in breach of the license conditions. If it’s for work buy the proper version and claim it as a business expense.

iolo
    Free Member

Office 2016 is out soon.
    Tell her to use Pages and Numbers until that happens.
    They are fine. Just tell her to save as Microsoft file (eg .docx for word).
    At that time she will have been paid for the work that has to be in by Monday so she can buy her own copy (and claim the tax back on it if it’s for work).

lerk
    Free Member

If fairness, unless she is going to be getting a bit sexy with formulas rather than the usual adding up and such that seems to make up 98% of the things I see – numbers (which should already be installed) or on PC OpenOffice should be fine.

I have noticed that some of the OpenOffice formulas use slightly different syntax (or certainly used to) which means swapping from program to program is a nono, but haven’t actually played with any of my fancy Excel written apps within numbers.

jam-bo

http://products.office.com/en-gb/university

Office 365 for students. £1.25 a month. Multiple installs.

monksie
    Free Member

This talk of “tax” is making me nervous. Please stop it.
    She has to have Microsoft Office apparently or the spreadsheets that she will be sent, working on and sending back won’t work properly if she uses any other programme. This is what I’m told. I know nothing.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and help. She’s going to buy 365 (with my card, obviously, as ever….)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Office 365 for students. £1.25 a month. Multiple installs.

not compatible with

Not in education. It’s for work. Well, she’s doing some consultancy work……kind of…..in the music business…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP she can use Apple Numbers and Pages to send/receive Microsoft files. However, she’s asked for Office and she’ll probably know how to use that already so it’s the simplest solution. If you are picking the Mac up from an Apple store you can ask them to install Office for you, otherwise as @bikebouy says get a download code.

Here are the various options;

Apple Store: Office

monksie
    Free Member

It’s coming through the post. I went into the Apple Store in the Trafford Centre. I panicked. I left. Quickly.
    Ordered it online. If I take it to the store in Manchester, will they do it for me? I doubt however that I’ll be allowed to even look at it and she probably knows exactly how to do it herself.

Thank you for the link above. I’m thinking that she’ll be fine with 365 personal? Also, (and I’m not doing this on purpose, I promise) can I (or my daughter most likely) buy this online and instantly download it on to her Mac Book Pro 15″ with Retina Display (I like the full description) and start work and therefore start earning money and get the hell out of my finances?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes office personal is adequate. Yes she can buy it online, download it, install it then start using it. If your daughter is reasonably good with the computer she can do all this herself – no need to go the the store. Just check she doesn’t create a iTunes/Apple Store account with your credit card details as then she’ll be free to spend at will 😐

She might like to sign up to some of the Apple in store training, the sessions are good and show you many features of the computer/software you may not know about.

OP I hope she says thank you, that’s a very generous gift you’ve made.

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you Jambalaya. That’s a nice thing to say. She’s getting my 20k inheritance when it comes through. I don’t want it and I’m hoping she uses it to get her own business firmly up and running.

iolo
    Free Member

What business is she in?

monksie
    Free Member

Music. Artist promotion, management, tours,venues, after show events etc.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help! 15″ Mac Book Pro with Retina Display has been delivered, switched on, Microsoft Office 365 installed and work has begun (in between lots of talking on screen and online with friends).
    I am, once again “The best person in the world! Completely the best bitch fam! I can’t cope and I’m not even joking!”

kcal

hurrah!!

allyharp

Pages is terrible, no comparison to Excel for an experienced user.

And to be honest Excel for Mac is awful compared to the PC version too. I’ll be looking forward to 2016 to see if it fixes a few things, otherwise I think I’ll look into running the PC version through an emulator.

prettygreenparrot

[edit] – doh. too late to the party.

DVDs 🙂

Depending on how your employer licenses office you might be entitled to free copies or discounted copies e.g. I get up to 4 licenses for the 365 version after it’s installed on my work machine. And the ‘opportunity’ to buy perennial licenses for office 2013 or 2011 for £10.

You can try the office preview for mac for free. It is like office 2013 on windows.

@allyharp pages is definitely no comparison to excel as it is a simple word processing program. I’m guessing that was enthusiastic iWork bashing and you meant Numbers.

When I have to use excel I tend to go for the Mac version just because the screen on my rMBP is bigger than my X1’s. The preview version works as seamlessly as office 2013 with OneDrive and Box.

allyharp

Spot on pgp – I meant numbers. Though in truth I can’t remember why I hated it so much as it’s been so long since I owned it!

And I was probably a bit harsh on Excel for Mac too. Most of it is just different, rather than notably worse. eg keyboard shortcuts. I can see why that’s a difficult one – they have to decide whether to be consistent with Office on PC or consistent with other Mac standards. I’d like the option to choose which set to use.

What is rubbish is that many of the contextual menus such as paste special have no keyboard inputs, forcing you into using the mouse to select which option you want.

I use both Google Drive/Sheets and Excel regularly and the Google option is extremely good for a Web app.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Office (Excel to be precise) for Mac?’ is closed to new replies.