Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • numb hands
  • mace260
    Free Member

Hi
    Can anyone help. I have tried new bars high and low risers easton, hard and soft grips on a santa cruz blur with 140 fox forks. After about 1 hour i start to get numb hands, eventually i have to stop as i cant feel them at all. Anyone else have this problem it feels worse when i am on the flat.
    Thanks for any help

globalti
    Free Member

Try Ergon grips.

BigJohn

I don’t get numb hands while riding but I do find that pressure on the ulnar nerve (I think) can give me white fingers. I noticed it most when singlespeeding and I was leaning on the heel of my hand.

I used Ergon grips which spread the load and I haven’t had any trouble since.

hainman
    Free Member

I get this,but i have been diagnosed as having Reynauds disease,been told the best thing is to just keep hands warm…..

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Another Ergon grip user. Took a while to find the right angle for the grip, but did improve things.

annebr
    Free Member

how about trying some mary bars? they may help by changing the angle your hands are at when holding the bars.

glen815
    Free Member

Ergon grips are for winners.

rootes1

better gloves and better grips (like ergon), also worth looking at the diameter of the grips, if you have big hands then skinny grips will make things worse

ratherbeintobago

Also got numb hands before I switched to Ergons; no problems since.

milkyman
    Free Member

I use ergon, I do have big hands but found the large size just to big, the small are just perfect for me and the bar ends are really good, I wouldn’t go back to normal grips, I know they don’t look cool but as long as they work im not really fussed what it looks like, like some people say took a while to find the right angle but once your happy with them you don’t really notice them apart from my hands not getting numb

TiRed

Ergon user here too. Can’t get on with those thin round things! You can always order the black ones if you are sensitive (and your hand covers them when you’re riding 😉 ). Just be sure to order the right size – I have small hands and bought a large first time round, but now run small. I mount mine pointing up and back at about 30 degrees and in a plane with the brake levers so my wrist has no curvature and palm is resting on the pad. Never had problems, even when riding rigid forks.

rootes1

yep I have big hands but use gloves so small ergons are best, on commuter I tend not to use gloves and use the large ergon size

crikey
    Free Member

It’s not a grip issue, its a ‘too much weight on your hands’ issue.

Sit further back, stop supporting your body weight on your hands and the numbness will go.

ads678

I use some cheap ergon ‘style’ grips on my rigid 29er which are ok but I have problems with trapped nerves in my neck causing my hands to go numb so stretching and cracking my neck usually helps more than the grips. I also find that too much padding in gloves makes them uncomfortable. I prefer using gloves with no padding.

sitting in a more upright position rather than arse up head down racey position helps me as well. I have more problems with numb hands on my rigid 29er commuting to work than on my five actually mountain biking. which stands to reason really as the rigid has no suspension!!

mangatank
    Free Member

Cane Creek’s bar ends are excellent for alternative hand positions…

Ergo Grip II

rootes1

if you get arm and shoulder/neck issues that more likely position but also flexibility. that latter is harder to correct as it requires effort.

richardtoddywoddy
    Free Member

It’s not a grip issue, its a ‘too much weight on your hands’ issue.

Sit further back, stop supporting your body weight on your hands and the numbness will go.

While I agree with this to a certain extent, the fact is that normal grips insulate the bar. Lockons, while not moving on the bar, have a plastic tube which slides over the bar, then the rubber coats this. It means that there is very little shock absorption offered. Ergon’s are made to fit your hand (unless you’re a legoman) and offer a lot more damping than you get with a traditional grip – regardless of your position on the bike.

Sometimes the position is the route cause – sometimes people are just prone to having hand numbness regardless.

Try our grips – I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Rich@Ergon.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Both hands? I’d hazard a guess that it’s coming from your neck. Change your stem length.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘numb hands’ is closed to new replies.