Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,874 total)
  • Not putting the heating on – how’s it going…?
  • retrorick

Too warm for a fire today 👍.
    Living room has stabilised at 15°c.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pumps.

You might save a bit of electricity (50-100w ish) slowing the system circulation, but generally the rule of thumb is the lower the system temp, the quicker you need circulation to prevent temperature drop across the circuit as it radiates into the rooms.

Drac

Lit the burner this am for my youngest as we’re heading out soon. That was a mistake the sun came out soon after and its melting in here.

footflaps

Pumps.

All modern CH pumps are energy saving already – they sense the number of one TRVs and back off if there aren’t many demanding HW. Building regs changed maybe 15 years ago to mandate them in domestic CH.

MarkyG82

Had a couple of days off prior to a short break. Planned to bleed the rads but forgot. Hoping that does bite me in a few days time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Eaves kneesalls and dormer on front of house are all first fix superquilted tomorrow I’ll fit the battens to hold it there perminantly. And seal the edges.

If Screwfix ever get round to having the other roll and the roll of double bubble I’ll get the back of the house done. . Forgot how big the eaves are at the front of the house. Probably make a door into them and floor them for storage since I’m in there.

molgrips
    Free Member

All modern CH pumps are energy saving already – they sense the number of one TRVs and back off if there aren’t many demanding HW. Building regs changed maybe 15 years ago to mandate them in domestic CH.

I don’t think ours is. How can I tell?

I found the balancing valve for the hot water circuit. It controls the speed through the water heater but this only serves to make the outflow temperature hotter. I don’t think the temperature control knob on the boiler is working properly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Last staple.of the night…… Right through the ring main for the upstairs circuits.

Lucky I had the wagos handy in the upstairs cupboard so we were back in action in a few minutes.

Just come out the eaves attic where it’s still about a million degrees to find……the fires on.

Nae amused.

jeffl

Lovely and warm today, windows open. Got a bead on wearing jeans and t-shirt whilst taking the dog for a walk this morning. Makes a nice break from the rain. Although that looks to be returning tomorrow 🙁

Daffy

As always, i think it’ll be the damp that gets me to heat the house, not the cold. Barely opening the windows and drying inside along with showers, cooking and continual rain eventually needs something. The doors will start to rub within the week, which may be the trigger.

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 Daffy.

House is fairly comfortable at the moment but we did two loads of laundry at the weekend, one on Saturday night and one last night. The Saturday load isn’t quite dry and last night’s load needs to be hung out. It was quite a big load, to be fair. We still have the option of tumble drying it on cheap overnight power, but that’s more of a faff because it requires doing different fabrics in different loads.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaaannnd, still in shorts and no heating (obv) in Cambs… 🙃

molgrips
    Free Member

Just saw this:

You might save a bit of electricity (50-100w ish) slowing the system circulation, but generally the rule of thumb is the lower the system temp, the quicker you need circulation to prevent temperature drop across the circuit as it radiates into the rooms.

In my house the rads are all really small, so the temperature difference across each one is only about 6C except the hallway one which is big.

footflaps

Aaaannnd, still in shorts and no heating (obv) in Cambs… 🙃

Yes, noticed the new grass seed I planted a couple of weeks back is growing nicely….

The summer heat pretty much destroyed more than 50% of it – so a lot of reseeding required.

I don’t think ours is. How can I tell?

What is the make and model?

freeagent
    Free Member

Still no heating on down here in Bromley – shorts on all day yesterday!
    WAs hoping we’d get to November before putting the heating on – weather forecast for this week suggests this’ll happen.

bjhedley

Finally caved yesterday and popped the CH on – not because of the cold but because I was decorating and the sodding paint wouldn’t dry so I could give it a second coat.

As above with Daffy, it’ll be the damp before the temperature. Already starting to feel it a bit, and the bathroom door is sticking. worked out 3 hours of heating is the same as a dehumidifier for 45 minutes…

Probably completely against the current trend, but bought a tumble drier for the garage, purely to avoid wet washing in the house adding to the dampness. costs about 50p per load for bedding. better than having them on radiators/horse for 2 days.

andy5390

No heating on up here in South Shields…………….yet.

Though I have taken to wearing jeans and long sleeved tops now. Might put it on for my wife’s birthday on the 30th, but that’s all she’ll be getting 😁

trail_rat
    Free Member

in a 100% non scientific experiment – the bits of my eaves I’ve managed to get covered in superquilt while not completely air tight – is significantly more airtight than the loosely propped up glassfibre that was there before ( and the glassfibres still there between the joists

the IR thermometer says – walls i have got the spaceblanket on are the same temperature as the internal walls.

The walls i dont have super quilt in – on the same aspect were 2 degrees lower than the internal wall temperature.

On friday all the external walls were lower temeperature than the internal walls

that’ll work for me to show its at least doing something. – lets see how it goes when the Delta T gets larger.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Humidity in our house has been rising steadily over the last couple of weeks. Temps are acceptable, but the air is feeling colder. Washing is begining to be difficult to dry and as others have said, a couple of doors has started rubbing.

Im in two minds as to buy a dehumdifier or just put the heating on.

footflaps

Im in two minds as to buy a dehumdifier or just put the heating on.

Get one. Been raining all WE here, so we just dried the washing in the spare room with the dehumidifier – cheaper than using a dedicated drier and also dries the house out a bit….

molgrips
    Free Member

What is the make and model?

Range Tribune. Appears to be dumb as a post.

in a 100% non scientific experiment – the bits of my eaves I’ve managed to get covered in superquilt while not completely air tight – is significantly more airtight than the loosely propped up glassfibre that was there before ( and the glassfibres still there between the joists

Where exactly have you put this?

I’ve bunged the clothes in the dryer as a one-off. It’s going to cost a couple of quid.

trail_rat
    Free Member

on the back of the part termed knee wall in this diagram in both sides of the dormer cheeks – as well as around the front apron of the dormer while maintaining the “air flow” from the soffits up and over the roof space into the attic and down the other side.

Historically as you noted from your cavity thread – we would have the air flow coming through the glasswool and you could feel it around the sockets etc – not lots but it was there – and the wall was noticably cooler in winter than internal walls. the plan is to get them all done- and then look at getting something into the sloped areas that i can incorporate into that envelope while retaining the 50mm airflow required – its looklikg like recycled plastic fibre with slightly oversized double bubble holding it slightly compresed leaving clear air flow – taped at both ends.

the rockwool solid batt experiment didnt work but thats going to be repurposed into the roofspace above my dormer which appear to be empty

molgrips
    Free Member

13C day and 7C night, it went on.

19C is toasty, it’s set to 18C most of the day which is fine. Having a low flow temp and a slow flow speed whilst being on for longer really makes the heating work better.

weeksy

yeah we caved in on the 2nd Nov…

ayjaydoubleyou

Ours has been “on” all summer – combi boiler and thermostat left at 14. So it wasn’t actually heating.
    This morning was the second time it actually fired up.

Drac

3c here last night. I nearly was forced to close the bedroom window.

Edukator
    Free Member

After a record breaking October 3.5°C above the average we’re back to seasonal weather in these parts. 12°C outside and 19°C inside. Madame hasn’t moaned yet but it won’t be long before she tells me its under 18 and time to light up. I think it’s the first year we’ve got to bonfire night without any heating.

Even the solar thermal kept producing shower-hot water until a week ago thanks to sunny days and warmer than usual mains water.

simondbarnes

1°C overnight in my part of Cheshire (ice on car windows)
    Still got my bedroom window open, no thoughts of putting heating on yet.

lunge

Still not on here in the midlands, though it’s getting close.
    We have moved to a thicker duvet though.

Dickyboy

Yeah we succumbed on Wednesday, thermostat set at 18 & just a bit to chilly to WFH when it dropped below that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines hasn’t come onfrom thermostat since I improved the airtightness of upstairs *

+1 degree – tropical

We had -5 when I got to the car this morning.

Hard frost on everything

FuzzyWuzzy

Finally set mine to come on this morning to get a couple of rooms to 20c

tractionman

bit chilly this morning in norn iron so heating went on for an hour.

sun’s out now so more toasty 👍

doomanic

yeah we caved in on the 2nd Nov…

Same here, it’s the latest we’ve ever managed. Set to 18 with strict instructions not to touch it. Bit of a ruckus last night when she tried to justify using the tumble dryer to dry my lad’s work trousers that he doesn’t need until this afternoon. Heating or tumble dryer, pick one, was my response… 🤣

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

2nd November here too.

Bathroom towels weren’t drying between uses and started smelling, the house was permanently festooned with backed up washing that wasn’t drying before the rest came out of the machine, humidity at 90% indoors at 17.5 degrees.

We were actually pretty ok from the warmth perspective, but the whole admin of the house and living conditions were deteriorating.

kelvin

Yup, drying clothes has forced us to use the heating now also. And it’s been flipping freezing!

footflaps

Bathroom towels weren’t drying between uses and started smelling, the house was permanently festooned with backed up washing that wasn’t drying before the rest came out of the machine, humidity at 90% indoors at 17.5 degrees.

Dehumidifier…

nixie

Still off here with the exception of 2 short early evening top ups earlier this week. Towels not been drying properly for a little while. When we put solar panels in I am definitely going to add electric elements to the towel radiators for the in between periods. Tumble dryer is in use now as been too wet to hang outside.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Dehumidifier

False economy. Would need more than one at £130 plus each, then running costs at a unit cost for electricity still more than triple that of gas even now.

May as well just use the gas get all the same benefits and be a bit warmer too.

We’re fortunate that we have a fairly well insulated house and big radiators so my experiment with 47 degrees flow temperatures is going well so far boiler is actually barely firing presently.

Daffy

My boiler has been trying to turn on for weeks as the house has been consistently below 15 deg in the morning and evenings.

I caved today and let it do its job – good Lord 17deg is nice after weeks of soakings while commuting.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.