Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • North Wales with the better half
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

Okay Looking for recommendations for somewhere to ride that the GF might enjoy (She does a bit of railway path cruising, but I don't think a blue type route would be beyond her) And that I can have a quick blast of something more interesting.

Also we could do with a good campsite in staggering distance of a pub, Or a hotel (camping would be for the novelty – not the budget constraints).

What can people recommend?

TheSlider
    Free Member

Gonna post here so someone answers you mate. I'm off there later this month…

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Barmouth is nice, the Mawddach trail is very scenic and you could have a cheeky couple of hours at Coed Y Brenin. Campsites just N of town or over the estuary at Friog

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I spent a few days in Llandudno last week. There's a coastal cycle path that's very fast and easy (unless there's a bastard wind I'm told), but I'd reckon a lot of the off road stuff might be a bit 'challenging'. There are walkers paths, but bear in mind it is a bit rugged in North Wales!

There was a nice ride on a BBC docu thing a while ago, along the Mawddach Valley. Followed the river, and looked pretty flat, yet scenic and relaxing.

http://www.mawddachtrail.co.uk/

What might seem 'easy' for those experienced off road, may be terrifying to someone used to 'railway paths'.

BigJohn

Llandegla would be a perfect place for the ride but I'm not sure about the camping.

DavidB
    Free Member

Coed-y-Brenin has a beginners route that has no technical bits at all..and goes out to a nice waterfall

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Thanks to all, especially Slider with for the 'bump'

Coed-y-Brenin is looking favorite. Look out for a terrified girl on an ancient Dr. Jeckyl with Revelations…

emma82
    Free Member

we just came back from LLangollen, there is a campsite called Abbey Nurseries with a big Abbey building in it which is very nice and it took about 25 mins to walk to the town centre for pubs etc, some amazing scenery and some awesome rides with LLandegla only being about 10 minute drive away. We did the red trail but there are other other trails there.
    would second also Coed – y – Brenin though not sure about campsites. google the MB wales site, i think they have an accommodation list on there.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

I'm living in Llangollen at the moment, there are loads of great rides near by. there is a Canal going straight through the place so maybe a nice place to warm up for half a day. The town is lovely and has lots of nice places to grab a snack or sit down for a meal and a pint(the Old Mill is a highly recommended) Llandelga is only 10 mins away and the Blue run for beginers is a good ride. Red is fun too.

I'd say the best place to camp IMO is Abbey farm. If you want a cute Hostel, llangollen hostel is bang for your buck, http://www.llangollenhostel.co.uk/

🙂

Hope this helps adn you enjoy your stay in this AMAZING place.

Rupert
    Free Member

Llangollen as a base would get my vote – I grew up there lol

As has been said above, the llnadegla centre is 20min drive away, there are some great rides from Llan itself; check out MTB Wales on the net for a few routes; also Coed y Brenin, Betws etc etc are all within easy reach of Llan.

Some great camp sites and B&B's to be had too; some busy, others a little less hectic. Happy to give you some names if you end up looking that way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘North Wales with the better half’ is closed to new replies.