Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • normal spd or platform spd
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I have used normal spd for as long as i can recall, but im going to be getting some new ones soon so are there any pro’s and con’s to a platform spd, I have been looking at the xt trail wich isnt a massive platform I know compared to some, so will i notice the differance
    cheers
    craig

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For me the platform is handy for those times you unclip one foot on a slippery corner or something to cover yourself in case you lose traction, and then want to get back on the pedal quickly. The platform is handy to give you a bit of extra stability and grip if you don’t immediately clip back in, and enables you to get back on a pedal stroke. With a smaller non-platform pedal, to me it feels like you could more easily slip off the pedal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For me it’s either the small cage on the Candy with stiff shoes for more trail/XC for Enduro/AM/DH I’m on Mallet DH’s

For me that is a platform, I’m happy enough unclipped on the platform for a bit if I’m having a bad day.

peatybike
    Free Member

I ride both quite happily, smaller platform on my Superfly and larger on my longer travel play bike.

Large platform is great for balance or foot positioning but I’ve noticed either work just ask well as long as your cleats are set as they should be.

Small platforms work fine also, just a little less comfortable!

CraigW
    Free Member

I think a larger platform can help for long rides. As it is spreading the pressure over a larger area of your shoe, so may help prevent pain, numbness, hot foot etc.

This will depend on the pedals and the shoes. ie how big the platform is, and how stiff the shoes are.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve got a mix of normal spds and XT platforms.

Can’t tell the difference.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My son has the platform type on a couple of his bikes, there’s no wear marks from his shoes on the platform parts at all.
    Which seems to indicate they don’t add a great deal.

stevied
    Free Member

I went from XTR race SPD’s to the XT Trail. I do think I notice the platform a bit, seems easier to get into the pedals than with the old ones. Probably due to the fact that it’s easier to turn the pedal to line it up.

rocketman
    Free Member

OP it all depends on your shoes

The Race/Trail SPDs feel the same with stiff shoes they’re just brackets to attach your feet to the cranks

The Trails feel a bit different with more flexible soles but don’t get conned by the marketing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My son has the platform type on a couple of his bikes, there’s no wear marks from his shoes on the platform parts at all.

Having run mallets like those above it leaves marks on my shoes, I adjust the pins to give the balance of extra security and freedom. Not sure how the shimano pedals do it but they never look like anything other than support for flexible shoes rather than a platform.

Gotama
    Free Member

The shimano platforms offer no support whatsoever. It’s too low and too small to come in contact with the shoe. Until they release the new platform pedal that they’re working on i think the options seem to be the crank brothers that mike posted, the HT X1/X2 or the old shimano dx if you want a proper platform around the shoe. There’s also the Burgtec clip in which is due out soon i believe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Given a glance around the last enduro I was at the Mallet is also king.

Sundayjumper

I use the XT Trails, and I’m sure they’re slightly easier to clip into that the “race” version. But as already noted, they don’t really provide any extra support.

Shackleton

I like my time mx6 pedals. Cage gives support for using more flexible shoes which come in handy for hike-a-bike sections. They also clear mud well, have more float if you have problem knees or like to move your feet a bit and are very reliable. All in all very similar in feel and performance to the mallets that fell to pieces after 8 months of UK use. The warranty replacement mallets did the same but lasted 10 months.

Unless crank bros have improved their sealing and bearings I’d go for time mx6 over mallets if you wanted that style of pedal.

qwerty
    Free Member

You can have both! Look S Track pedals. They have a similar retention system to Time and can be run standard, or with 3 different platform options. I’ve just brought some, not fitted yet, but I’ll post something once I have.

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/it/vtt/pedales/s-track.html

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/it/vtt/pedales/s-track-cage.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unless crank bros have improved their sealing and bearings I’d go for time mx6 over mallets if you wanted that style of pedal.

Massive changes, even on last year. First one was the split cage so bearings could be changed easily. Add. In better seals bushes and retaining stuff nothing like the previous pedals people hate.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve XT race, trail and touring (dual sided).

Can’t tell the difference tbh. Well on the non-spd platform of the touring version I can.

binners

I use the Shimano platforms. I find they come in handy for nights like last night. It was icy and we were heading down a long rocky descent. One of those when you feel a bit nervous being clipped in. I unclipped on one side, and just used the platform.

I would’t bother going to XT. Just go for the M530’s. theres no discernible difference to XT, and they’re 20 quid. If you don’t like ’em its no biggie. I love ’em personally

cookeaa

Get some real Man pedals…
    These bad boys!

None of this prissy ‘trail’ cobblers…
    Good old M636s are proven to make you at least 173% more Gnarr and 247% more Rad, also trebles your sperm count…
    FACT!

butcher

I have some with a cage like this. Main reason I got them so I could ride without SPDs. With SPDs, the only difference I’ve noticed is that they’re harder to clip out of, as you have to twist your foot directly horizontally. And if you have big grips on the soles of your shoes you can’t actually clip into them because the cleat doesn’t reach.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘normal spd or platform spd’ is closed to new replies.