Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Norfolk coast riding?
  • Bernaard
    Free Member

The new GF wants to visit her parents and wants to take the bike. they live about 20 minutes from Cromer so I seem to remember from somewhere that there is some riding around the coast up them there parts.

Can anyone enlighten me, or is it Thetford then?
    Ta

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Peddars way starts near Cromer. You are allowed to cycle on it Peddars way on a bike
    Just be careful with the very large puddles. They are likely to be saltwater.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Cheers, we are staying near Fakenham.

Cheers for the heads up

prezet
    Free Member

A bit of singletrack up at Sheringham, most of it starting from a spot called ‘pretty corner’. Or there’s always Bacton which has quite a lot of singletrack too. Thetford would be quite a drive from Fakenham, and, IMO not really worth it given the lack of gradient / anything challenging / fun.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Pretty corner is your best bet, some really good riding around there.
    Get on gpsies and have a hunt around, there are loads of tracked routes

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Thetford would be quite a drive from Fakenham, and, IMO not really worth it given the lack of gradient / anything challenging / fun.

It does lack gradient, and the features they have put in seem to be placed where getting the required speed to enjoy them properly is not possible, but if you want a good fitness ride the lack of gradient means constant pedalling is required. For a flat piece of land this makes it surprisingly hard work if done briskly.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Have been to Thetford loads, but its just to get out and try out the GF’s new bike
    I’ll be SS’ing it so gradient not an issue.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We took our bikes on a weekend to Wells Next the Sea a little while back and had a lovely pootle along the coast and marshes around there. Quite a bit of the coast path is byway or bridleway and although the riding isn’t challenging it’s good fun if you don’t mind mixing up the lanes and bridleways.

From Wells there is some nice riding along the coastal woods to Holkham Gap on the Peddar Way. We did some riding on the beach there and then we went up through the Holkham Estate and then along the old Roman Road before striking off towards Burnham for lunch. We came back to Wells on an inland loop via North Creake, Gallows Hill and then down Market Lane. If you take a look at an OS map of the area (or Bing Maps in OS Mode) the routes are all pretty obvious – some of it is on Sustrans Route 1.

pictonroad

Peddars way starts near Cromer. You are allowed to cycle on it Peddars way on a bike
    Just be careful with the very large puddles. They are likely to be saltwater

Unless you mean the very big puddle at the Northern end then I’m confused by this…

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Try this one. Not done it for about a year but is a good ride and harder work than you would think.

Sherringham TROG loop

Seems to ride best anti-clockwise but it depends on the wind direction and speed along the cliffs.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Unless you mean the very big puddle at the Northern end then I’m confused by this…

The salt marshes flood into the path occasionally. If you hit the very big puddle you’ve gone too far!

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Just be careful with the very large puddles. They are likely to be saltwater.

I think you may mean Hunstanton……………..

Peddars Way Map

pictonroad

Yep, that’s the Norfolk Coastal Path, Peddars Way is an inland route. It’s nice though in an xc bimble kind of way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Norfolk coast riding?’ is closed to new replies.