Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Nobbly Nic Evo Double Defence on Stands Crest, oh my.
  • plyphon
    Free Member

A bead of sweat runs from my forehead. My hands become clammy from the tension.

Items of clothing lay discarded on the floor as the fling unfolds, my body temperature rising.

Two fully grown men wheezing and grunting bent over in the tungsten lit darkness with the occasional outbursts of “It’s so close” and “Go on just a bit further”.

Welcome to trying to mount a Nobbly Nic Evo Double Defense on a Stands Crest.

P.S: I didn’t get it on. It took a further 20 minutes to get it off from the part way I had it on, and involved a screwdriver with a rag around it and me hoping I didn’t scratch my new rim. My FireXC Pro went on without issue. I shall try again in the light when I can see whats going on.

yunki
    Free Member

and yet a Fat Albert Evo Double Defence will roll onto a Stans Flow with just a little persuasion and a lot of technique..

did you make sure the bead was in the central chasm(?)of the rim and then work your way slowly slowly round and up from that point, stretching and persuading as you go..?

plyphon
    Free Member

As it was kinda dark it was hard to see – but I think the issue was the opposite side was “too far” into the chasm making it harder for the 2nd side to get in there. If that makes sense.

I’ve got a regular nobbly nic on there without issue, and my FireXC Pros went out without issue. (Didnt even need levers for either) so I’m sure it’s just technique.

What an experience tho.

somafunk

S’funny but i can fit the exact same tyre onto my Stans Crest rim without tyre levers or straining a finger, there must be a slight discrepancy in the diameter of Stans rims with regard to different production runs as i’ve heard of other folk on this forum having trouble with them as well, for what it’s worth Conti M-King/X-King Protection slip on without tyre levers no bother, as do various Maxxis.

sbob
    Free Member

Every time I fit a tyre to a rim and inflate the innertube, it inflates.
    Every time. 8)

😛

plyphon
    Free Member

sbob, FWIW, i’m using tubes.

I wish I could get that far with it!

steve_b77
    Free Member

There’s your problem, why buy tubeless rims and use tubes?

sbob
    Free Member

plyphon – Member

sbob, FWIW, i’m using tubes.

Then God help you!
    Can’t say I’ve ever had that problem.

plyphon
    Free Member

There’s your problem, why buy tubeless rims and use tubes?

I have no sealant, proper rim tape or the valves, and generally cant be arsed *right now*, but would like the option to do so in the future.

yunki
    Free Member

I have no sealant, proper rim tape or the valves, and generally cant be arsed *right now*, but would like the option to do so in the future.

same boat as me.. my stans rims have been fine for the last year or so with tubes.. but yesterday I took the plunge and bought the tubeless gear in an effort to move with the times.. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

Don’t take a tyre on the trail that you can’t fit easily at home.

Ps my experience of Crests is they are great with the yellow tape but not with the default rim tape. It matters.

faz083
    Free Member

I’d recommend buying a decent tyre and rim combo. Those chinese knock offs of well known brands must be appalling.

bigrich

stans rims aint tubeless rims. they are ‘rims’. you fit tape and a valve to any rim and it becomes tubeless. HTH.

and I fitted those tyres to those rims with thumbs. try wetting the rim with soapy liquid if you’re having floppy hand issues.

try putting a comp 16 on a dt swiss 5.1 rim under the lift station at alp d’huez. ooof.

plyphon
    Free Member

I might give them one more go before I send them back…. XC717’s are looking like a good option again.

Northwind

bigrich – Member

stans rims aint tubeless rims. they are ‘rims’. you fit tape and a valve to any rim and it becomes tubeless. HTH.

That’s rubbish, though- the Stans rims (and others like them- Rovals, WTB, etc) are designed for tubeless. The tape just makes them airtight, once that’s done they’re functionally identical to UST. Not at all the same as just sticking tape on a random rim and hoping it works.

Mackem

I couldnt get mine on (exact same combo) with tubes. No problems without. I’m now running em tubless, and I’m happy that I was forced to go tubeless, had no bother with them at all. Had a few bad landings on the sharp end of rocks that I’m sure would have punctured usually.

bigjim

The only issue I’ve found with Crest rims is the tyres, Schwalbe 2012 seem to be a nightmare but never had a problem with any other year of Schwalbe or any other brand of tyre. Apparently Schwalbe have slackened off the bead since but not tried any 2013 tyres yet. I just can’t get 2012 nobby nics or racing ralphs to fully pop onto crests – just seems to be a final 2 inches that doesn’t go.

birdage

I have this combo and think it really is about making sure that the tyre sidewalls sit completely in the wheel well. Had the same problem with Racing Ralphs on Crests but since I’ve made sure verything sits in the well, no problem.

bigrich

Not at all the same as just sticking tape on a random rim and hoping it works

whole bucket of wrong. I made 10 year old rims tubeless with gaffer tape.

nicko74

Fire XC Pros are generally pretty loose; I went through a phase where if the pressure on my tyre droppped (for a flat, say), there was a significant danger of the XC Pro bead just coming off…

stevie750

the first time I fitted NN to my crest I had my the same experience as you but I also nearly put a tyre lever thru my hand.

But I then watched the video on the stans website and I can now put them on with my fingers, Still need a tyre lever to take off but that is just to break the bead seating.

You need to put the tyre bead into the channel in the rim.

I am also using a tube as I don’t have the cash for some ust tyres just now

Mackem

I think the point of Stans rims is that you dont need a UST tyre. Normal tyre, tape and sealant is all you need.

antares
    Free Member

I was in the same boat as stevie750 when I first got my crests and tried putting Nobbys on. I was certain they wouldn’t go on until my mate came round and popped them straight on with his hands. You’ve gotta make sure the bead is sat in the channel of the rim all the way round. If your putting a tube in make sure the valve is not fully tightened down to the rim so you can push it up towards the tread of the tyre. It really is easy when you know how.

plyphon
    Free Member

based on the responses here I will try again tonight, if no luck – it’s going to be returned for a XC717!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Nobbly Nic Evo Double Defence on Stands Crest, oh my.’ is closed to new replies.